1/48 Fairey Gannet ASW

NickOnai

Hi, I've got a few of the 1/48 Classic Airframes Fairey Gannet AEW kits. Having fulfilled one of my most pressing searches (a 1/72 Grumman HU16 B/ASW conversion kit I-got it on EBAY- at 

jbegines11) I'm looking for a way to convert one of the 1/48 Classic Airframes Fairey Gannet AEW kits to a 1/48 Fairey Gannet ASW. As I prefer to build 1/48 kits, for smaller aircraft, purchasing a 1/72 kit and a 1/72 Fairey Gannet ASW is out of consideration...at least for now. I've some experience scratch building a complete aircraft. I suppose I could, do this, given the resources to base the conversion on. So, can anyone point me in the right direction for scale drawings, sections, dimensions and the like? My other thought was to buy the best quality 1/72 conversion kit and base my 1/48 conversion on that.As you can readily see, I'm a sucker for "strange" aircraft-both the real and "what if" varieties. My 1/48 North American FJ-5 Super Furies (based on the F-100 C, D and F) turned out rather well. I used the F-86 to FJ-3 and 4 as my guide. So-I suppose that if I was able to accomplish that I could attempt a 1/48 Fairey Gannet ASW. I also built a twin engined version of a F8U crusader (like the engine arrangement in BAE Lightning) I used the  Whitcomb area rule to help design the fuselage. I had seen an on line article about this and it appealed to me. Getting the "Whale Shark" intake correct was a problem, though as it had to be large enough to supply air for two engines. I cheated on that part.
Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick

the radomes the hard bit, but perhaps possible to use one from a Skyraider?  

Just a guesstimate,  and others here will know more, but the Esci ,or AMT in US, kit has the radome  

see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79719-148-tamiya-skyraider-aew-esci-conversion/

comparison

IMG_0028.jpg

Fairey_Gannet_AEW3,_UK_-_Navy_AN1952247.

and nothing like posting cobblers here to get a proper answer ;)

HTH

T

Italeri recently re-popped the Skyraider AEW in 48th see HERE so the kit should be easy enough to get, the fairing between radome and fuselage will need work but, being plastic, will be easy enough to work with. As shown in the link there is a resin conversion also around that could be adapted.

Troy's second picture also shows that the two halves of the radome moulding weren't always a perfect fit. There's a member here who works on the Shackleton at Coventry airport, that was an AEW airframe (the radomes were identical apart from the fairing) and he has posted pictures of the radome off the aircraft that are useful. Remember that the undercarriage was also extended somewhat to clear the radome. THIS PAGE gives some background information that may be useful. Also the WARPAINT BOOKLET is worth having.

Good luck with the conversion I'm planning something similar at some stage.

• Like 1

If I understand the OP correctly, he has an AEW and wants to "backdate" it to ASW, so he has a radome he doesn't Need.

The F40 booklet from ca. 30 years ago had good scale drawings but without sections IIRC. Just ordered the newer Version yesterday, I'll report if the drawings are new in that one once it has arrived.

Hi, I've got a few of the 1/48 Classic Airframes Fairey Gannet AEW kits.

I'm looking for a way to convert one of the 1/48 Classic Airframes Fairey Gannet AEW kits to a 1/48 Fairey Gannet ASW. As I prefer to build 1/48 kits

I didn't think that there was a 1:48 Gannet AEW kit, as Classic Airframes didn't get around to releasing theirs?

They did however release a Gannet ASW which is still readily available through Hannants, so far better just to buy that kit if you want to do that version. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CF4158

Have you got  a picture that you can post of your kit?

To convert an ASW Gannet to an AEW (or vice versa) is extremely difficult, the radome is the easiest part.

The only major parts that are the same between the ASW and AEW versions are the outer wings (from the inboard fold) and tailplane.

The best Gannet plans I've seen are the 4+ ones, http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/publications/23-fairey-gannet-as1-n-4-anti-submarine-and-strike-variants

ASW (model)

28878469322_3c21131794_c.jpgDynavector Fairey Gannet AS.1 by James Thomas, on Flickr

AEW

23925882699_178d244dcd_c.jpgFairey Gannet AEW.3 XL500 G-KAEW 6 Jan 16 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

To convert an ASW Gannet to an AEW (or vice versa) is extremely difficult, the radome is the easiest part.

As a friend of mine said,' jack up the canopy and fit a new airframe,then replace the canopy'!

Like 71chally above, I didn't know about a 48th AEW so will wait for clarification.

Richard

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

I didn't think that there was a 1:48 Gannet AEW kit, as Classic Airframes didn't get around to releasing theirs?

The best Gannet plans I've seen are the 4+ ones, http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/publications/23-fairey-gannet-as1-n-4-anti-submarine-and-strike-variants

Ah, OK, wasn't aware that it fell victim of CA's end of trading.

Of course, 4+...how could I forget, as I have the book myself...

• Like 1

AFAIK the CA AEW Gannet was never finalized. There was a box art done and shown somewhere (no - here:http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/gb06/gannetpreviewbg_1.htm) so I guess some of the design process on the kit parts was at least started.

The CA ASW was released in 2007 and the last CA kit released before Jules Bringuier (Mr. Classic Airframes) stopped producing kits was released in 2010. Both Gannets were announced at the same time (see link), so I guess the design for the AEW was done and maybe even part of the tooling. Why it was not released between 2007 and 2010 is beyond me - maybe the ASW did not sell as expected and or the interest in the AEW was not so hihg. But this is pure speculation.

René

• Like 1

The CA Gannet has come/is coming back under the Special Hobby label; I believe they actually did the moulding for CA in the first place. Hopefully any work that was done on the AEW Gannet has also passed on to SH, so we may yet see it in the plastic -  here's hoping!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

The CA Gannet has come/is coming back under the Special Hobby label; I believe they actually did the moulding for CA in the first place. Hopefully any work that was done on the AEW Gannet has also passed on to SH, so we may yet see it in the plastic -  here's hoping!

Gannet AEW :heart:I shall add my hopes to the Gods of styrene that this happens.

Actually Hannants re-released the ASW kit recently and it's still on sale there.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello All, it looks like I will not have to attempt a conversion of a Gannet ASW to a Fannet AEW...I found a 1/48 resin AEW on Ebay. I don't know the  manufacturer...The box says it's from Iceland. As I said, it's a resing kit and the instructions say that metal a metal landing gear set is reccommended. No luck finding that. I do, however have a Dynavector ASW that has metal landing gear, so that problem's solved. I was originally going to convert the Dynavector kit to an AEW. I was intending to use the Airwaves wing fold set, but I think taht the resin wings are 'way too heavy to try tat. Perhaps I'll build the Dynavector as a COD. The three should make an interesting set. Nick

If you do a  search of Britmodellers topics you will find instances where this kit has come up 2-3 times in the last 6-12 months...…...here is one of them:-

Worth looking for the Dynavector AEW3 if you can find one, or contacting Alan at Icelandic Fine Art who produces a resin kit for around the £50 mark (plus postage). I have his email here somewhere so can post this up later. I have one here if anyone wants to see some pictures of the bits, I’m happy to oblige? That was the one at the London model show....and yes I was clutching it!!!

1 hour ago, CockneyCol said:

Worth looking for the Dynavector AEW3 if you can find one, or contacting Alan at Icelandic Fine Art who produces a resin kit for around the £50 mark (plus postage). I have his email here somewhere so can post this up later. I have one here if anyone wants to see some pictures of the bits, I’m happy to oblige? That was the one at the London model show....and yes I was clutching it!!!

Check out previous reply for all details that you mention...……...and as mentioned in thread #16 Dynavector only made the AS1

I stand corrected, amazing the tricks the mind plays, sorry for any confusion caused........anyhow I have the resin kit and though time has not allowed me to do any major checking beyond a fondle of the parts it looks pretty reasonable...anyone interested in some details?

Alan Wilson is the chaps name, [email protected] is the email I have for him, he's based out of Iceland.