Panther Ausf G + Zimmerit - Tamiya 35th -

Stu

Having got  back into AFV's I intended to stick to 72nd rather than anything bigger. That was until a good friend donated a Tamiya Panther G, one of their earlier efforts I believe, and a sheet of embossed paper laser cut Zimmerit by Monroe Perdue to go with it with a cheery "have a go at this"  So i have.

The instructions are quite clear about priming the model as a good base for the paper overlay and using PVA glue to fix it. Being Tamiya the kit went together without any issues and it was primed with a Halfords grey primer rattle can. Applying the overlays was largely straightforward though some of the more complex ones were damped with water to get them to conform more easily. A little trimming was needed when they'd thoroughly dried and I'm quite pleased with the result though the dome over the hull MG could well do with a bit of patching.

Now I'm notthat experienced in 35th AFV's and don't know that much about German WW2 armour so there's going to be some errors  so if anyone has any advice/comments/observations then please do so. I'm tempted with an ambush scheme  which I suspect is easy to do but difficult to get looking "right".

As for 72nd well we have OnTracks just down the road at Folkestone next month so I'm hanging on to my pocket money till then.

Cheers

Stu

PantherG-1_zpsu1qdikrk.jpg

PantherG-2_zpsnmzt5rkz.jpg

PantherG-3_zpsjmrfjfck.jpg

• Like 10

Looking good there Stu, not used paper zimmermit before. It looks effective once it's dried, I'm currently building the D variation at the moment so will be interested to see how you get on.:)

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks to those who've commented or tagged this, appreciate the support. :-)

Ozzy, I've been looking at your build with a certain amount of awe. Having some experience of "large" etches, albeit in a railway context, and knowing how unforgiving they can be if things go a bit awry you have my admiration. - actually I was going to question your sanity :-)

The etches look more  comprehensive than the paper ones and looking carefully at your work I think I'm going to add some additional bits, on the mantlet for example, from the blank panels that they do provide. 

As for comparing etch vs paper I think the paper ones are probably a better bet for someone of my limited afv experience. The only issue is when you have to add stuff on top of the paper as can be a bit fragile (don't ask...!) I've resorted to brass wire pins for the box - no  idea what it is - on the right of the hull and some small plastic square spacers for other parts to get a reasonable plastic to plastic join.

Dave, the friend who donated this kit, also loaned me his Squadron Signal Panther book which is a great idiots guide so I'm beginning to get some idea.

Anyhow thanks for the interest.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu,

i was a little intimidated by the size of the sheets, and thinking how I was going to attatch it all to the kit. Tamiya do a range of stick on zimmermit, I used the set for the tiger a few years ago. The bonus with those sets they are clear, which allows you to see any holes if your using them on a different make of kit. I've got a copy of that Squadron book, I've found it very useful.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2017 at 6:02 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Lumme.....These are popping up all over the place!  :o

Like buses, Sarge, like buses...!

A bit more completed. As I mentioned before the paper overlay doesn't make adding hull detail any easier. For the skirt attachment I had to add small plasticard additions to the mounting points to bring them out a bit further. It seems to have worked as the attachment seems pretty solid.

PantherG-4_zpsuemwp0zv.jpg

PantherG-5_zps7arn4if4.jpg

It was then all given a coat of primer and and after a suitable interval a coat of Gunze Dark Yellow

PantherG-6_zpsn5mipqc6.jpg

From here on it'll be all downhill, in more ways than one.............................  :-)

Stu

• Like 9

Great to see another Panther being built and it will be interesting to see how the different types of Zimmerit will look in the long-run. It certainly looks excellent with it's first coat of paint on.:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi,

With Dave metaphorically giving advice and encouragement from the sidelines we have come to this.

And apologies for the pics. My ancient digital camera has finally packed it all in and these are from my cheapo smartphone.

PantherG-7_zpswylwvey8.jpg

PantherG-8_zpswu8knala.jpg

As you can see things have moved on a bit. A certain amount of weathering done and I've still got to tackle the track and spare links which I'm not looking forward to to be honest.

Things will come to a bit of a halt now as Number 1 daughter and family move home the end of the week and we, myself and the boss, have been invited to assist........!

So thanks for the comments and encouragement and as always any comments, good or bad as I won't offended as it's a bit of a learning curve, appreciated.

Now off to charge some battery packs  :-)

Cheers

Stu

• Like 6

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Please, how have you made the stains ?, brush, airbrush ..

Hi,

Thank you all for the comments.

As for the finish it's a mix of both. The  green and brown camouflage colours and spots were hand painted, and it shows close up, nothing like Plastix's hand painting. The colours then look appear strong, harsh and looked plain wrong. After a coat of gloss acrylic varnish to seal the finish I toned them all down firstly with a thin coat of Tamiya buff and then a wash of thinned Humbrol Dk Earth applied with a brush. Still some more to do. Hope this explains things.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 23:21, Stu said:

Hi,

Thank you all for the comments.

As for the finish it's a mix of both. The  green and brown camouflage colours and spots were hand painted, and it shows close up, nothing like Plastix's hand painting. The colours then look appear strong, harsh and looked plain wrong. After a coat of gloss acrylic varnish to seal the finish I toned them all down firstly with a thin coat of Tamiya buff and then a wash of thinned Humbrol Dk Earth applied with a brush. Still some more to do. Hope this explains things.

Cheers

Stu

Thx for reply, cheers Stu :D

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks Guys for all the interest.

Sarge, as for unit I'll have to confess to a big dollop of "modellers licence" as my knowledge of Panzer units is precisely zero...

will be back with it when we've done helping with house move.

Not sure whats more mentally challenging, building a kit or putting up curtain rails😊

stu

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Finally managing to update this. I'm calling it finished and all things considered I'm pretty happy with the result though there are plenty of errors of commission and omission. There are a number of excellent Panther builds on here at the moment that rather put mine into perspective but I've certainly learned a few things.

I re-did the number to something smaller and better spaced and almost got away with it if you don't look too closely. Left off the skirts as I had trouble getting them to fit correctly. This is most likely a build error somewhere along the line. It's a pity as it rather shows up the "rubber band" tracks.

Anyhow thanks to Dave for the kit and to all on here for their advice/support etc. If nothing else it's a bit of confirmation I'm a deal happier with 72nd and I've put a couple of them on here for advice and comment as well.

Cheers

Stu

PantherG-10_zpswdxpjajk.jpg

PantherG-11_zpshmhala2w.jpg

PantherG-9_zpsuclpp6xy.jpg

PantherG-12_zps5jkbuifi.jpg

• Like 5