1/72 - Sukhoi Su-17M-3/R "Fitter-H" & Su-17UM-3/K "Fitter-G" by Modelsvit - released - new Su-17M-3 "early" released

Homebee

I definitely vote for this versus the 48th scale Far-Eastern version!  Even if it is not the Tumanski version of the M3 that we had here. Still looks nice! So will have to dig out my own resin/etch conversion for the R-29 version that I did some 20 years ago.

I have the Modelsvit Su-17 kit, like it and will need few of these ones!!! :)   :worthy:  :)

Best regards

Gabor

Is this same tool (with perhaps some revised/extra sprues ) as their existing sukhoi-17/22 kits or a completely reworked kit ? The existing kit is not that old and quite decent actually .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Nice! I'm still a little vague on the differences between Modelsvit's Su-17 kits, however. I have an Su-17M from them...what made the M3 different?

In the Su-7U trainer visibility was very bad. Starting from the Su-17UM Sukhoi tilted the front fuselage down in order to improve visibility. They carried this feature on single-seaters starting from the Su-17M3.

• Like 1

The practice so far was that new tools were made for new kits even if only minor surface details are present on the given versions. These Modelsvit kits are all “Limited Edition” versions, they use a kind of short run technology where it is economic to make brand new tools for the new kits.

Mind you they are not the kind of short runs we have seen in the past. The only place you can see it are the little bit thicker spru frames on Modelsvit kits. But the details on the actual kit parts are very nice!

Best regards

Gabor

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:19 AM, Procopius said:

Nice! I'm still a little vague on the differences between Modelsvit's Su-17 kits, however. I have an Su-17M from them...what made the M3 different?

SU-17M-2

The 'M2' was different to the 'M' in the following ways:

Equipment package which included

• the KN-23 integrated navigation system
  • ASP-17 optical sight instead of the ASP-PFM-7
  • PBK-3-17S combination bomb and gun sight in place of the PBK-2KL.

Structural changes incorporating:

• a 7.87 in (200mm) longer forward fuselage section
  • smaller diameter of the air intake duct.
  • Because of the decrease in the duct cross-section, the cockpit became more spacious, as compared with the Su-17M and the fuel system capacity increased by 52.8 gal (200 I). The intemal fuel capacity then amountedto 1,223gal (4,630 I)
  • the 0/55-7 Doppler system fairing was installed in the fuselage forward section underthe airintake
  • the aircraft was fitted with a neutral gas system, located in the fuselage fuel tanks, to enhance the aircraft's combat survivability
  • the radio command link equipment was taken out of the air intake cone to accommodate the Fan laser rangefinder and a provision was made for suspending the former in a pod under the right inboard wing

SU-17UM & SU-17M3

A radical change in the fuselage forward section took place on the Su-17UM trainer and was later retained for SU-17M3, Su-17M, Su-17UM3 versions and for the export aircraft. This was done to increase the pilot's forward and downward view, and for a more convenient installation of equipment in the bay behind the cockpit. The forward part of the nose was lowered, the cockpit was raised and the size of the fuselage upper fairing, behind the canopy, was increased.

And the M3 was also different to the M2 thus:

• Distinctive 'swept' vertical fin leading edge
  • Two additional external stores, intended solely for the R-60 IR close-in missiles, were added under the wing between the outboard and inboard pylons.
  • The weapon system was updated: -the Klyen-PSlaserstation, which combined the functions of range finding and illumination, was installed on the aircraft instead of the Fon laser rangefinder; - one combination ASP-17B bomb and gun sight was installed in the place of the two, separate ASP-17 and PBK-3-17S sights
  • In addition, other systems were changed: - an A-031 radio altimeter was installed instead ofthe RV-5
  • SPO-15 Beryoza-L radar warning system replaced the SPO-11 Sirena-3
  • SAU-22M1 up-dated AFCS was used
  • KDS-23 IR decoy dispenser was mounted in the dorsal fairing
  • K-36D standardized ejection seat.
  • Armament included all the types of missile and bomb stores developed earlier. There was also a provision for suspending a new type of anti-radiation missile, with control equipment, in a pod under the aircraft. To improve the aircraft combat survivability, the wing fuel tanks could be lined with polyurethane foam.

And then there's the final SU-17M4:

The main distinction between the Su-17M4 and the previous Su17M3 was in the new navigation and sighting system in which a computer, a new laser rangefinder, an illumination radar, a TV display. In order for this to fit:

• The nose cone no longer moved to allow more space for equipment
  • More vents on the spine for extra avionics in bay behind pilot.

And just to complicate things further- you've got the various Export designations:

SU-20= SU-17M with basic equipment changes

SU-22= SU-17M2 with an engine from a Mig 23 resulting in quite a few structural changes including

• new rear fuselage broadened from frame Number28 to the rear cone edge
  •  the contours of the dorsal fin were changed and the fin itself was elevated4.13 in(105mm); the horizontal stabilizer span increased by 5.47 in (139 mm);

SU-22M= SU-17M3 but with a R-29BS- 300 turbojet and more basic avionics package.

SU-22M3= SU-17M3 but with full M3 spec avionics.

SU-22M4= SU-17M4

...and I think that should confuse everyone thoroughly. Isn't it cool that Modelsvit care enough about this aircraft to do all these variants!! It's certainly costing me quite a lot of money...!

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...