Westland Sea King HAS.6(CR) cabin

Ragtag

Hi all,

hoping some fellow BMers can step in where my google-fu skills have failed. I have a HAS.6(CR) on the drawing board but I'm struggling to find details on the interior other than a reference which says that some of the radar equipment which couldn't be removed was housed in a 'dwarf console'. Don't suppose anyone has any interior shots of the cabin? Failing that, by 'dwarf console' are we talking a similar setup to that in the HU.5, or something smaller and non-functional?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Troublesome but useful temporary aircraft.

No photos but I could ask some one for drawings if they are still on the system..

From what I remember the observers seat on the port side of the cabin was left together with the overhead console .it was left because of the compass repeater which if it was removed would have involved a lot of wiring modifications.As it happens it was ahead of its time as towards the end the mk4 had a specific crewmans seat in the back anyway.

There was also a no2 battery stowage to the rear of the cabin door complete with very long nfc lead to connect the no2 battery to the external dc connector thus giving the mk6cr the ability to start in the field under it's own steam so to speak.

The original mk6 only had one battery and I believe it could only use it to start in emergencys and then it was knackered

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, very helpful. :thumbsup:

Hard to tell from Andy's photo but it doesn't look like the overhead screen is still fitted, yet from what Junglie was saying it doesn't sound likely that it'd have been be removed later either :hmmm:

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

OK, uploaded the photo from my files - still no idea where I found it originally:

SeaKingHAS-2.jpg

It's the interior of XZ922 ZA which was on display at an airshow, judging from the background of the exterior photos....

Possibly Duxford 2006?

Good research Andy...it funny what you forget ....I certainly didn't remember that lump but maybe that's because I was sat in the seat fiddling about with a compass snag....on the repeater

On 25/01/2017 at 11:12 PM, WhirlybirdModels said:

Which scale are you looking at. We are doing a HAS.6 interior set in 1/48

Dave @ Whirlybird

Sorry Dave, I missed this - I pretty much exclusively build 1/72 but thanks for the info. Have a Puma and Dauphin on this year's to do list which will be making use of your kits :)

I suppose I may need to order a set of sponsons too since it's the Revell kit I'm using as a base.

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Ragtag,

Im still on this just havent had an opportunity.

The more I think about i think its just the console in the picture ...like i said its been a while.The console contained radio kit and the compass repeater.

Sorry cant be more help atm

No rush mate, be a few days 'til I've even got the kit for this one never mind starting it :)

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Kit is now in hand so will be starting soon - if anyone has any more images of that console they wouldn't mind sharing it'd be much appreciated :)

Turns out it was an NSM Naval service modification so I'm on to the right place now ....will probably only be GA drawings.

• Like 1

Hi Don,

my understanding from the sources I've read is that the console just contained the gear that was too difficult/expensive to remove when the HAS.6 was converted to the Commando role for training purposes. I wonder whether they even flew with observers?

Stu

2 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Hi Don,

my understanding from the sources I've read is that the console just contained the gear that was too difficult/expensive to remove when the HAS.6 was converted to the Commando role for training purposes. I wonder whether they even flew with observers?

Stu

Yep that's correct,basically because of the short availability of

Aircraft due to aircraft upgrade programmes 5 mk6 (ASW) were converted by ripping out the pinger kit and modifying the wiring as cheaply as possible hence part of the Sonics station was left in with the compass repeater and the compass computer left in. New radio set up as well.....etc.Hence as it had to be cheap it was carried out as a Naval service modification ....in house basically.

As a junglie no observers are carried.two / one driver and an aircrewman 

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,

Sorry to enliven a long gone thread, but I've been thinking about making a HAS.6(cr) for a while now and have done many hours of research into the cabin of it. I am planning on making XZ922 in 2009. 

Is it possible if you guys could supply me with any pictures on the cabin of the mk.6 commando?