Cold War Exhibition, Cosford - specal event 7th February

MajorClanger

"On Tuesday 7 February 2017 the Royal Air Force Museum Cosford will be marking the 10th anniversary of the award-winning National Cold War Exhibition with a special event for aviation fans."

"To celebrate the 10th anniversary, visitors are invited to join Museum staff and volunteers for a special event that will see a number of Cold War aircraft opened for exclusive close up access, including the Vickers Valiant B1 and the Handley Page Victor K2."

"In addition to the Victor and Valiant, other Cold War aircraft and vehicles being opened to the public for the anniversary event will include the General Dynamics F-111F-CF, Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 21PF, Hawker Hunter F.4 (nose section), Avro York C1, McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 (nose section) and the Short Brothers Belfast."

"This rare opportunity to see inside these aircraft is FREE of charge for visitors. ... The Museum is open from 10am until 4pm and the event will run for the entire day giving visitors up to eight hours to climb on board and peek inside some of the Museum’s iconic Cold War aircraft."

Full details here.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures here - including inside Valiant XD818's crew compartment (after queuing for 75 minutes - well worth it!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sjbradshaw/albums/72157678518697980

• Like 4

And me too: I managed to get into the Valiant, Victor, Belfast and York.  Also got up close to the Bristol 188 in Hangar 3 and the Javelin.  Queues for the bombers were both over an hour but I couldn't not do it!

Top marks to all the staff I spoke to: being allowed behind the barriers to get really close-up photos (almost encouraged to, with appropriate adult supervision, on more than one occasion!) and talking to people who shared our enthusiasm for sticking bits of plastic together to make aeroplane shapes was wonderful. They all seemed enthusiastic and to be actively enjoying all of the attention and interaction with their guests.

If anyone from Cosford's management is reading this thread you and your staff put on a brilliant show today.  The biggest problems were deciding which exhibits to visit in which order and realising that we probably weren't going to make it!  If you want to do something like it again I, and I am sure many others, will beat a path to you door.

As an aside does anyone know any of the history of Dakota KN645?  She seems to sport some non-standard features (cabin window arrangement and some aerials).  Wax she an ELINT platform at one time or another?

Thanks also to Avro683 for dragging me out unreasonably early, along the scenic delights of the A421, M1, M6, A460 and M54 and making me climb in and out of aeroplanes taking pictures.  :D  Beats being in the Fun Factory any day!

Edited by stever219
More waffle
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

And me too: I managed to get into the Valiant, Victor, Belfast and York.  Also got up close to the Bristol 188 in Hangar 3 and the Javelin.  Queues for the bombers were both over an hour but I couldn't not do it!

Top marks to all the staff I spoke to: being allowed behind the barriers to get really close-up photos (almost encouraged to on more than one occasion!) and talking to people who shared our enthusiasm for sticking bits of plastic together to make aeroplane shapes was wonderful. They all seemed enthusiastic and to be actively enjoying all of the attention and interaction with their guests.

If anyone from Cosford's management is reading this thread you and your staff put on a brilliant show today.  The biggest problems were deciding which exhibits to visit in which order and realising that we probably weren't going to make it!  If you want to do something like it again I, and I am sure many others, will beat a path to you door.

As an aside does anyone know any of the history of Dakota KN645?  She seems to sport some non-standard features (cabin window arrangement and some aerials.  Wax she an ELINT platform at one time or another?

Hi Stever,

I can honestly say that on every visit that I've made to Cosford that the staff have been most accommodating to my photographic requests and have been the polar opposite to my findings of the cretins at Hendon!

May Cosford keep up their great standards and leave Hendon to do things their own way.

I was sad not being able to attend this tenth anniversary event but sounds like everyone appreciated the efforts of the staff,

10 hours ago, stever219 said:

Top marks to all the staff I spoke to: being allowed behind the barriers to get really close-up photos (almost encouraged to on more than one occasion!) and talking to people who shared our enthusiasm for sticking bits of plastic together to make aeroplane shapes was wonderful. They all seemed enthusiastic and to be actively enjoying all of the attention and interaction with their guests.

As an aside does anyone know any of the history of Dakota KN645?  She seems to sport some non-standard features (cabin window arrangement and some aerials.  Wax she an ELINT platform at one time or another?

I took him! Being unable to gain access to any of the aircraft myself, Steve was armed with my camera and was able to take close on 100 excellent pictures for me whilst we were there, except in the Valiant, the reasons for which shall remain under the Official Secrets Act! It was a very long day, I was out of the house for close to 13 hours, roughly equivalent to the length of a Belfast sortie. It was well worth it and although I am going to need considerable recuperation time I sincerely hope that we don't have to wait another ten years for the next opportunity. Congratulations Cosford, a brilliant coup. We got there before ten but Steve was one of the of the last members of the public to gain access to the Valiant and it was after the official closing time when he emerged. Several of the staff told me that they had suggested holding the event over 2 or 3 days but management refused the idea. Maybe they will take heed next time 😁.

Edited by avro683
Extra text
  • Like 1