Interstellar RANGER

Here is a picture of my completed 1/72 MOBEUS RANGER spacecraft  model form the Interstellar Movie.  The model is not an exact replica. 

The kit was very easy to make, mostly  consisting of  the top and bottom parts, but the painting/masking took ages!

I didn't bother to fret out the windows, I just painted them gloss black, seems to work. The detailed tile work was done with a Pentel pen, after several mask layers , then it was dirtied up a bit using Windsor/Newton pastels. 

This movie spaceship is modelled on the old space-shuttle technology to appear creditable, It takes off on the top of a Saturn 5 in the near future, (when all the crops are dying).  it lands on a water-planet and appears to take off without  any propellant tanks. Other than that, it is a worthy addition to any SciFi concept collection I think. . 

Panel linework was done with a cut-off paintbrush rubbed in powdered pastel dust, then rubbed down the line.  The brush had nearly all its hairs cut off so there was just a tiny stubble. 

DSCN4139.JPG

Ranger_2.JPG

Photographed sitting on top of a black felt cloth, 2 stops under exposed. 

Edited by oldmodeler
added picture 2
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I will make a few more pictures of the RANGER. The MOBEUS model is... er. adequate, at 1/72. The plot has a Saturn 5 taking two to low earth orbit. The Kit includes two 1/144 scale RANGERS that can be put on the top of an Airfix l Saturn 5. Apart from Wormholes (or as this  months Scientific American would put it, "Quantum Entangled Black Holes", a possibility), a few other gaping clunkers is the gravitational gradient, anything step enough to slow a few hours into 23 years, would pull the Ranger apart. Also you would go mad being alone for a few years anyway, - the astronaut left in orbit. Kip Thorne was the scientific advisor, and has a few other gaffs in the movie.

The plot: leave earth because the crops are dying is absurd, you take your bugs with you, -nearly all of them! and no other planet would ever have the required  bacteria needed for the food chain. 

The MOBEUS might still be avalible , and s very easy to make, the legs are spindly, so I made it 'feet dry'   it is mainly getting the two halves just right together, and not bending the thin strakes at the front. 

To photograph a space ship in space, I go outside for full light, drape a black felt over the garden table and under expose 2 stops, that makes the black disappear. the lighting seems to work out right. Alternately I could use a box covered inside with black drape, and a led spot. 

• Like 1

It's an oddly cool looking ship. One of the guys on Starship Modeler converted his to the smaller, two man ship seen at the end, with scratch interior and canopy. I liked the movie, and thought it was very good. The model itself is discontinued though it should still be available as it hasn't been that long.

Great work on yours! Love the paint and detail.

• 4 years later...

Just working on a kit sourced through eBay.

The model includes two smaller copies, quoted as 1/144 scale, which fit into a structure which matches onto a 1/144 S-IVB stage.

The Ranger itself is three times the size of these copies, which implies that the larger model is actually 1/48?

The only image I have with people to provide scale indicates a length of about 60 feet, which would be 1/72.

Film licence?

Howard