Horten Ho-229 C1

Arniec

Hi Guys,

Here are some pictures of a model that I placed last year in the Telford (SMW) competition.

I have also included the card that I used for this model, so that you know the hole story behind it.

The card.

Horten Ho-229 C1

Flown by Oberst Martin Drewes

Kommodore NJG 1

November 1945

Rheine, Germany

Donor kit:        Dragon Ho-229 one seater and Ho-229 two seater

Decals:            The decals are from different sources some are from a Sky decal sheet and the individual letter is from a old 1/72 Revell sheet?! The stencils are from donor kit.

Paint:               Gunze and Tamiya paint.

Changes:          The nose was replaced with a “Berlin”nose for a Ju-88 G6 from Quickboost. The front top fuselage of the two seater was sawn of and mated with the back top fuselage of the one seater. This gave some problems with the engine placing etc. But that was all corrected and also the two MK 103 guns were used from the one seater. The gun barrels were a left over from a Do-335 conversion (CMK). I also used a Etch set from Reheat.  

History:           On the 6th of June 1944 the Allied landed in Normandy. But instead of having succes, they were thrown back into the sea. The Allies needed to do a new build up after the heavy losses and there wouldn’t be a new invasion until May 1945. This gave the Germans enough time to halt the Russians near the Polish bourder. This also gave them enough time to bring the Me-262, Ar-234 and the Ho-229 into play. The losses of bombers for the Allies was to great and they would have to wait till the Americans could bring their B-29’s over.

What If:          The Germans were still having some trouble with the RAF bombers at night. So to have a new night fighter they brought the two seat Horten Ho-229 flying wing forward as a new night fighter. They used a converted “Berlin”radar nose from the Ju 88 G6 to give the night fighter some better performance. NJG 1 was the first unit to get the new Horten night fighter. They were placed at the staf disposall from NJG 1. As a very experienced night fighter and new Commander of NJG 1, Oberst Martin Drewes was the first to fly one from Rheine Air base in the defence of the Ruhr valley.

Here are some pictures of the model.

IMG_3607_zpsoen9cpqr.jpg

IMG_3608_zpstnk64joo.jpg

IMG_3609_zpsbic1zywy.jpg

IMG_3610_zpsculduhsx.jpg

IMG_3611_zpsb40bfdh2.jpg

IMG_3612_zpslwpoiomk.jpg

IMG_3614_zpsby4qguym.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 9