Matchbox Meteor 1/72

Mark4700

On 02/04/2017 at 11:23 PM, nuuumannn said:

Nice work, looks at treat, mate. Many years ago I had this kit and started building it, but never finished it and gave it away. I took some reference photos of Ferranti's NF.14 at East Fortune for inspiration, but I guess they're not much use to you now:

http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/armstrong-whitworth-meteor

Thanks for your comments, and the link was useful, next step is the undercarriage so nice to see the close ups of that area. 

• 2 weeks later...

Calling this one finished. Decals finished, undercarriage attached and a coat of gloss to seal it all. 

38666156214_acc1621f4f_b.jpg

39374481641_b66e05122e_b.jpg

This is is the first Matchbox kit I've built since I was a kid, and I must say it went together much better than I thought it would. The level of detail is, well, minimal in most areas and the decals are also minimalist with no stencils. But it all fitted surprisingly well and the plastic was easy to rescribe. 

I'll post some pics in the RFI section when I get chance. 

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Mark4700 said:

Replaced all the photos after photobucket blocked them all.  

Well worth the effort - thanks for doing the photos!

I missed this build at the time, and I'm glad I caught it this time around.

Matchbox, eh...? Gotta love 'em.

I did the F101 Voodoo last year around the same time as you were doing this build. I got a big Clear stand with mine, an built her wheels -up .

You've done well with this one.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 12:37, rob Lyttle said:

Well worth the effort - thanks for doing the photos!

I missed this build at the time, and I'm glad I caught it this time around.

Matchbox, eh...? Gotta love 'em.

I did the F101 Voodoo last year around the same time as you were doing this build. I got a big Clear stand with mine, an built her wheels -up .

You've done well with this one.

Thanks Rob. It’s a real pain having to replace the pictures. Glad you liked the build. 

Thanks

A: for replacing the pictures

B: for reminding me I missed the end last year. It came out looking very good, gotta love a Meatbox

C: for reminding me I have a few builds that need re-picturing thanks to PB's disgraceful behaviour

D: for that reminding.... doh maybe less thanks 😱 there's a lot of work coming my way in doing it 😬

But in seriousness she has done you proud, nice one 👍

• Like 1

Absolutely superb! 

I'm thinking of starting one of these very kits next, though I can't decide between this, a Sabre or a Javelin.

Your Meatbox looks fantastic, the paint is amazing, how did you get it from matt to gloss!? 

Would Humbrol satin 166 be ok as the underside, or too pale? I'm thinking of doing mine oob in the 264 sqn markings.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2018 at 12:16, Lord Riot said:

Absolutely superb! 

I'm thinking of starting one of these very kits next, though I can't decide between this, a Sabre or a Javelin.

Your Meatbox looks fantastic, the paint is amazing, how did you get it from matt to gloss!? 

Would Humbrol satin 166 be ok as the underside, or too pale? I'm thinking of doing mine oob in the 264 sqn markings.

Thanks for your kind comments Your Lordship.

I got the gloss by building up coats of Humbrol Clear varnish until I was happy. 

As for the colours, I do try to get as accurate as I can, but then, unless you’ve got something to compare it to who’ll ever know if it’s a shade too light. I’d try it a and see what you think. The clear varnish seems to darken everything a bit in any case. 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2018 at 10:11, perdu said:

Thanks

A: for replacing the pictures

B: for reminding me I missed the end last year. It came out looking very good, gotta love a Meatbox

C: for reminding me I have a few builds that need re-picturing thanks to PB's disgraceful behaviour

D: for that reminding.... doh maybe less thanks 😱 there's a lot of work coming my way in doing it 😬

But in seriousness she has done you proud, nice one 👍

Thanks for your comments perdu, and sorry for reminding you of the work to be done. 

Its certainly a pain having to replace the pictures, but at least the upgrade to this site makes posting the pics easier. 

• Like 1