Matchbox Meteor 1/72

Mark4700

Finished the cockpit tonight and put the fuselage together. It all went together really well. It's going together really well at the moment. 

38496943275_603246efe3_b.jpg

Sorry for the slightly blurred photo. 

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 2

The work continues, it's been a busy few days and I'm back at work tomorrow, so progress has been frustrating  :weep:

However I've managed to get the fuselage together and nose and tail fitted. I did put some weight in the nose, just be on the safe side. I've also filled the gaps, there were some quite wide ones around the nose especially. 

39344737682_b3fe998011_b.jpg

I chose to use Squadron green, purely because for the first time ever it matched the plastic. 

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After a break from this kit my enthusiasm was renewed after visiting the Huddersfield model show yesterday. I've done a bit of sanding on the fuselage (pictures to follow later). 

However, when dry fitting the two halves of the Wong is together I noticed that there was a gap all around he sides of the wheel well as can be seen in this picture.

38496840705_c6d718aa68_b.jpg

Now I'm pretty sure that this was a feature of the real Meteor, so I'll fill them I with placticard And a bit of filler.

Edited by Mark4700
Pics

You're right about the gaps round the wheel wells not being there, so a good excuse for more filling and sanding practice.

If you've been brave or barmy enough to open up the nose wheel well you can sheet in the sides of this too, but leave it 'til very late in construction: if you find out then that you've not got enough ballast in the nose it's a convenient hidey-hole   for some additional ballast.

• Like 1

Work on the fuselage has progressed. Just a bit of rescribing before undercoat. 

25505306548_f3139c35dc_b.jpg

I've also boxed in the main wheel bays. I will do the front wheel bay too when I get around to it. 

38496961355_9350cd2583_b.jpg

The wings and engines are also complete, well glued together anyway. There is quite a bit of tidying up to do. The grey lower halves seem slightly larger than the green upper halves, so some trimming and sanding to be done there. 

24510003747_73437678b7_b.jpg

On the whole I'm quite impressed with this kit. I know there's a bit of manipulation (sanding and filling) to get the result, but, the plastic is quite soft and to be honest the kit is a pleasure to work with. So far :fingerscrossed:

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 5

I'm still envious of your scribing skills, especially having had a less-than-stellar experience with an Airfix Dakota earlier this week.

You should get a better wing to fuselage joint if you take some material off the upper inner edges of the lower wing panels where they fit into the unde-fuselage recesses (the roughly triangular areas on the lower panels).  Leave the upper part of the fairing (with the curved upper rear fairing) alone and you should be OK.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2017 at 11:48 PM, stever219 said:

You should get a better wing to fuselage joint if you take some material off the upper inner edges of the lower wing panels where they fit into the unde-fuselage recesses (the roughly triangular areas on the lower panels).  Leave the upper part of the fairing (with the curved upper rear fairing) alone and you should be OK.

Thanks, I'll look at that when I get there. Having tried them, one of the wings is a particularly loose fit, and potential panel gaps on both are, well, not good. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the wings are on and the airframe is more or less done just the final bit of filling, sanding and any little bits od scribing to finish. 

38497014835_55024de7be_b.jpg

38497017955_a0d4850e7e_b.jpg

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 2

On 2/4/2017 at 8:48 PM, Mark4700 said:

IMG_0107_zpslpafxosr.jpg

Amazing how this fuselage ALWAYS looks like this when anyone attempts to build this kit!

Matchbox must have had massive shares in putty manufacturers!

Great show

JR

• Like 1

Another bit of this kit that I wanted to improve on was the front undercarriage bay. 

As as you can see here, the kit is sadly lacking in this area as it comes completely filled in. 

25505300438_f75d6aed97_b.jpg

First of all I made the bay out of plasticard. I used superglue to speed up the build. Below is the rough finished item. This was cut and sanded to improve the fit. 

25505326438_c37af7ca59_b.jpg

Next I Dremelled out the kits bay moulding, or lack of. I also had to cut out the cockpit floor, which was fine as it's all black in there so you won't tell when it's finished. 

38497002135_50c51343a2_b.jpg

Then its a matter gluing the new bay into the hole. 

24509999187_75cf8f793a_b.jpg

All that's left now is to add filler and sand down the excess. 

This is the first go at scratch building a component, and I've really enjoyed it. I'll post another pic of the bay when it's all sanded back. 

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Scribed, filled, sanded and front undercarriage bay finished. 

Below are the pics before the first coat of primer. 

38497012395_dae96f9a3c_b.jpg

24510013957_3ef1cf73a4_b.jpg

And and below are the pics after a coat of grey primer. As usual I've used Halfords grey plastic primer. I don't use it from the aerosol can, I decant it and use my airbrush as I find it gives you much more control. 

As as you can see I've masked off the cockpit and pushed some sponge in the engines to prevent overspray. 

39374478371_d87d583ffc_b.jpg

38666409224_25098b89d8_b.jpg

On closer inspection it's come out better than I thought. It does still need a bit of work in a couple of areas, but on the whole I'm feeling pretty pleased. 

I have already decided that my next build is going to be something that's an easy build with minimal filler and no rescribing. 

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Darby said:

This may sound a bit of a daft question but how easy is that Tamiya scriber to hold and work with?

I get on quite well with it. It's very comfortable to hold and is a good build quality. It's brilliant over flat surfaces, like wings. You have to be more careful when scribing a straight line around something like a fuselage. It does have its limitations though. You can't really do tight bends or circles, and it's not very good in tight areas, like where wings meet fuselage. I feel it's well worth having in my toolbox though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The build is still plodding along. I've now masked off the canopy, blutacked it into place and sprayed the upper surfaces dark sea grey. 

39374480901_f43ed31ddd_b.jpg

I've also replaced the kits aerials with stretched spru as the kit ones were far too thick. The canopy is a temporary fit so that the cammo lines up properly. 

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 6

Mark,

I've just stumbled upon this thread... that's some fine re-scribing you have managed to accomplish there which looks a real treat under the primer.

Looking forward to the rest of the progress.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Mark,

I've just stumbled upon this thread... that's some fine re-scribing you have managed to accomplish there which looks a real treat under the primer.

Looking forward to the rest of the progress.

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Dave. 

I've really tried not to overdo them on this kit. It's only the second kit I've re-scribed and realised it's so easy to make trenches. 

7 hours ago, Lowbrow said:

I love the first primer coat. It's like a truth serum. 

Thats a really good way of putting it. How many times are we happy with something until the undercoat goes on?  

Nice work, looks at treat, mate. Many years ago I had this kit and started building it, but never finished it and gave it away. I took some reference photos of Ferranti's NF.14 at East Fortune for inspiration, but I guess they're not much use to you now:

http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/armstrong-whitworth-meteor

• Like 1

A bit more work done. The dark green went on really nicely and the masking tape and blutac came off without incident. 

38497025385_98ace5b415_b.jpg

I've also painted get undersides medium sea grey and the undercarriage bays aluminium. 

27597731689_736d34aebd_b.jpg

I'm really pleased with the way this kits gone together so far, although the attachment of the main gear looks like it may cause some issues as there are no holes or slots to strengthen the join. I'm sure I'll work it out though. 

Edited by Mark4700
Pics
  • Like 2