HMS EAGLE Wessex 1 & 3 826NAS

FIGHTS ON

22 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Have you put the walk way decals on correctly? They seem to come too low. They look 90 degrees out so you might want to check before you do the Mk111

Colin W

I think Colin W is correct the first one starts at the tail cone break, which leaves room for the grab handle on the spine brake/tail fold but hey it looks good to me. Stop being so pedantic Colin...

Colin

Yes - I have totally buggered the walkway behind the rotor head - I think the ones on the spine are correct. Today I have mostly been working on the Mk III, bit spent some time "buffing" out the errors on the canopy (you can see the purple maskol back in place - tomorrow sees the yellow go on the MkIII and a rework on that area behind the rotor head. As pointed out by Colin (? I think ) the Italeri decal is too wide, so I will use white decal trim and black paintto get it right......

Managed to get the blades flat today. High risk strategy of using a hot iron for 4-5 secs pressing thru tin foil pressing down on a firm board. All worked fine, bar one which now resembles a carson blade(!) but i can fix. I got away with it, but would NOT recommend this method for others, 

IMG_0761.jpg

Currently I have ALL DAY tomorrow, but with 2x teenage children who no doubt will demand some sort of Duty Taxi driver, I might hold back on the MkIII and get the SAR Mk 1 finished for Sunday

• Like 4

.....and I've just been past all the Wessex parked at the Air Engineering School @ Sultan......parked rear towards me so as to taunt me by showing their painted walkways :(

Nearly Midday....2 kids sorted, but now the Mother-in-Law is about to pay a visit thus requiring ALL material cleared from kitchen table....AARRRRGGHH! I am in need of a time machine, just need to go back 2 or 3 days! So close, but I am now in danger of rushing and thus making even more serious mistakes...

• Like 2

Hey this looks great. Nice Eagle artwork. I perfectly know how you feel - last weekend I thought it would maybe take me 2 or 3 hours to complete my build. Well - it was significantly more than that - including some goofs :jump_fire:

Tell your mother in law this is a family hobby and give everyone a task ;-)

René

• Like 1

Not much progress in an entire week. I will probably start a WIP in the general section with a link to this GB. 

Focus this week on the Mk III - I remembered what it was about yellow that I have always hated in modelling - after several attempts at spraying, I reverted to brush painting, in light layers - but this Hannants paint takes 12+ hours for each coat to dry. LDECALs used + some kit stencils - just some weathering & panel lines to do. Then I start on the 2x bald fold sets.

Adantage to starting a GB late = I get to use everyone else's research, however some schoolboy error (glue fingers on canopies!) in trying to rush. Ireckon at least another week with the growing list of jobs that the wife is finding for me to do :(

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not giving up....... currently working on the scaleworld blade fold sets (x2) - so grateful to Colin W's useful photos and tips - although I won't be folding the tails. The curse (or my crass stupidity!!) in schoolboy errors, continues. I think I have put the cockpit ladder rungs in upside down (despite my years as a child climbing over the wessex hidden in the trees at Seafield Park. Somewhere in the constant requirement to move my crap off the kitchen table, I've mislaid a set of exhausts.......they will re-emerge (!). Now the canopy masks have come off, I can see under spray on the Mk III and that fingerprint is NOT going to shift off the Mk I.......but I am still enjoying the build (which is what his hobby is about)

IMG_0765%201.jpg

IMG_0770.jpgIMG_0769%201.jpgIMG_0768.jpgIMG_0767%201.jpgIMG_0771%201.jpg

• Like 2

I hate yellow, colour me Graham Taylorlike (RIP) in that respect

Yours are looking rather a lot, hugely a lot in fact, better than mine

I'm still plugging on too, I'll keep posting til this GB's doors close I reckon

• Like 1

On 22/02/2017 at 10:33 AM, MickE said:

They are looking great. I agree about the yellow - mine is yellow all over! I had to put 4 coats on it which looks ok but not perfect.

Mick

"yellow all over"....(?) does that not suggest a Wessex belonging to the Service we shall not mention? There are many issues with Italeri's decals in their Wessex kits, but as part of my son's (unbiased) education, that portion of the Wessex 3 decal sheet that provided markings for that abomination at Cosford was carefully cut out and he was encouraged to burn with matches (under parental supervision - of course) 

non of my photos seem to catch the "orange" as sheappears in real sunlight....

IMG_0774.jpg

• Like 1