1/32 - MRCA Tornado by Italeri - GR.4, ECR & IDS released

Homebee

Given my stash is already 1/32 Revell Tornado heavy X 3 I will wait for the reviews to see just how good the Italeri package is or is not before I splash out that sort of cash. Had the price point been under £100 then I would have probably dived in but it’s just high enough to make me think twice. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mattcour said:

It will go down a bit more in time and then this newly tooled Tonka may be considered as a good deal.

Even more so if Revell rebox it (as with the Mirage IIIE) and then sell it for half the Italeri RRP!

Ah well. No harm in dreaming! 😊

Allan

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Even more so if Revell rebox it (as with the Mirage IIIE) and then sell it for half the Italeri RRP!

Allan

That thought also crossed my mind. Revell have done that with the Mirage as you say. Other reboxings  come to mind which were marketed at significantly cheaper prices. Dragons Me110 for one.  There have been others too (Tempest V?) but I’d need to think a moment before they come to mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

That thought also crossed my mind. Revell have done that with the Mirage as you say. Other reboxings  come to mind which were marketed at significantly cheaper prices. Dragons Me110 for one.  There have been others too (Tempest V?) but I’d need to think a moment before they come to mind

I'd forgotten the Bf-110!

Need to be asking my partner nicely if she can add it to the Crimbo shopping list! 😂

I'd have preferred the Mirage IIIC over the E but, at that price, who's bothered! I may be forced to buy another!

Allan

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 10:57 AM, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Which will happen sooner or later as Italeri might struggle to sale enough at that price point.

Will be without etchpart though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SC2015 said:

Which will happen sooner or later as Italeri might struggle to sale enough at that price point.

I can live without the p/e parts. Even if they had been included, I would have binned them immediately!

Not terribly fond of p/e parts! 😉😂

Allan

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SC2015 said:

11 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I can live without the p/e parts. Even if they had been included, I would have binned them immediately!

Not terribly fond of p/e parts! 😉😂

Allan

The vortex generator type tabs on the fin are etched parts that fit into little slots. You need at least those etch bits.

Am warming to this kit, but still eager to see the engine sprue so we can check for intake ducting. The Italeri kit looks like it'll build into a more solid model than the quite flimsy 1/32 Revell. 

Tony 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tony.t said:

The vortex generator type tabs on the fin are etched parts that fit into little slots. You need at least those etch bits.

Tony 

Fair point but, I'd prefer if they were moulded in place. I could live with that.

I just find that p/e parts are far more trouble than they are worth. Especially the very small ones.

If I do ever buy this kit and, it ends up with a "bare" fin, I can live with it 😉😂.

For what it's worth Tony, I have a tendency to dump very small plastic parts as well, especially if they are going to be tucked away unseen!

Probably an age thing! 😊

Allan

8 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Fair point but, I'd prefer if they were moulded in place. I could live with that.

There would be a big risk of short shot as the plastic may not flow up to the end of each blade: flow would have to turn 90° and finish in a dead end with an air cushion preventing reaching it. I believe this why the voretx generator blades are separate parts.

• Like 2

Just now, Laurent said:

There would be a big risk of short shot as the plastic may not flow up to the end of each blade: flow would have to turn 90° and finish in a dead end with an air cushion preventing reaching it. I believe this why the voretx generator blades are separate parts.

That's a good point Lauren.

Never thought of it that way. 👍

However, I STILL hate tiny p/e parts! 😉😂

Allan

14 hours ago, SpeedyGonzales said:

Which is probably why Revell is always in trouble financially :)

Well Italeri have to pay the mould maker so they're eager to break even. Different story if the company buys sprue bags from another company.

Edited by Laurent

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

There's no guarantee Revell will release the Tornado, they haven't the Starfighter, plus it would complete with their own kit, which is still being re-released. 

Well, there are always two parties in that and multiple variable in the decision to hand out a tool or not.

If Italeri sales enough Starfighters why should they issue a license for the mold?

The Mirage isn´t by far as popular as the 104.

Especially not in the so important US market.

I can imagine the Mirage does not really contribute a lot to the turn over of Italeri. 

That´s why Italeri is trying to mitigate losses on that kit and issued a license to Revell.

The F104 does earn money, otherwise Italeri wouldn´t have launched so many different versions.

I´ m a European native who lives in the US and follow eBay in both regions.

For me eBay is the best indication of what is popular and what not.

The Mirage is a hard to find item  in the US and often offered for month before sold. 

The F-104 not. 

Tornado is in the US comparable to the Mirage from a popularity standpoint.

Just visit a convention and keep looking for build or unbuild Tonkas.

Good luck with that..... 

To make a long story short:

Make the Tonka too expansive here in the US and you have a very good chance to kill sales expectation right from the beginning. 

And with that lose some thousand potential buyers and their contribution to pay of engineering and tool investment.

Good chances for the need to issue a license. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SpeedyGonzales said:

Which is probably why Revell is always in trouble financially :)

That´s not the reason.

Plastic kits are only a small part of their business and even that follows wrong recommendation.

Good example is the Ju-88.

Why was the A1 launched first and not the way more popular A4?

Who recommended that?

Same on the He-111 and others.

I had the chance to visit them many years back and to be honest...they have no feeling at all what could be a good moneymaking kit and what not.

Listen to the market, do models of the quality and price point like the 111 and 88.

But do the right version and not what just a minority (or internal preferences) is asking for. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, SC2015 said:

To make a long story short:

Make the Tonka too expensive here in the US and you have a very good chance to kill sales expectation right from the beginning. 

Conversely, they just might not even bother releasing it for the US as there's no interest anyway and just keep it for the European markets.

Doesn't really reflect on them.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Conversely, they just might not even bother releasing it for the US as there's no interest anyway and just keep it for the European markets.

Doesn't really reflect on them.

Which would be even more stupid as the US is considered to be the biggest market for 32 scale.

11 hours ago, alt-92 said:

But as you said not for Tonkas so why bovver?

I said not at this high price point.

For a decent price it will find some buyers

But it´s not popular enough in the US that a decent amount of buyers spend as much money as they would for other aircraft's.