1/32 - MRCA Tornado by Italeri - GR.4, ECR & IDS released

Homebee

I find it a shame that out of the three Retirement schemes they picked the jet which went tech the most. 

ZD716 would have been a better choice as it was the only one which didn't go tech (apart from one day maybe)and therefore was the one that most people saw. 

Odd to do ZA542 twice as well. 

Cheers,

WV908

On 10/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, hopkp said:

As someone who doesn't know a whole lot about the Tornado, what rear cockpit has Italeri modelled?

I'm not a Tornado expert, just a keen admirer who's got a few books, so please feel free to dive in and correct me here.

I think in the rear cockpit, the Italeri top console area looks pretty good for an early GR4 (no later version TARDIS), whereas the lower panel, just behind the central 'stick' looks like the German/Italian IDS and ECR (the same as the Revell kit)?

The Aires resin rear seat lower panel looks pretty good for a regular GR4 to my eyes?

For my purposes, I was always going to mix and match and scratch in the cockpit, as I want to model the 617 'Special tail' GR4 'trainer' two seater (so the more cockpit parts I've got to play with the better).

I really like most of this kit and will have to get one.

The main thing for me is that it looks very much like a very nice GR4 on the outside (to my eyes anyway - I've only seen the one panel I want to correct so far, without looking too close).

Other plus points for me are the intake doors and trunks and I do like that overall look of the included dropped flaps and slats.

I know the Revell one's cheaper (mine was £25 in the Hobbycraft sale), but there's virtually no panel detail left visible on the fuselage sides and beneath the nose on my copy of it and that's quite a bit of careful scribing to do.

My Revell kit was also the 'Gulf War GR1' aircraft, so lacked the stencilling for a 'regular' GR4 (which you get in the Italeri kit) and a FLIR pod (not a lot of work to scratchbuild, but also included here).

I'm hoping that between the two of them I should be able to get one nice one (and a fair second one).

Trivia alert: - I'd never noticed the 'holes' below the raised spoilers before (which looked so noticeable to me in the test build photos here) either in books or in real life, but then again how often are you in a position to see what's

under them when raised, unless you've worked on one? (perhaps flying above it whilst it's applying reverse thrust?). I was intrigued enough to just have a look back through my photos and did find this shot from Cad West in the mach loop back in 2013 (I think), of ZA371. I'm pretty sure I won't be modelling the raised spoilers option, but in case anyone is and can't find a reference photo, (as I couldn't), I'll include this one of mine which shows there are holes there.

spacer.png

Cheers Bob.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It would now be great if someone (Eduard) made the following resin products in 1/32 and 1/48 scale......

TIRRS blister

CAS sensors

CBLS 200

TARDIS Display 

• Like 1

I'm very, very tempted...

I've always had the bug to build one of these 1/32 beasts; not my usual scale but I like the subject and such great potential to really go to town  as a super detail project. I have amassed aftermarket for that purpose over the years (including various old Paragon sets) for use on the Revell kit but for some reason never got round to it seriously (cut some parts from the sprue, test fitted things etc). Good kit though the Revell one is/was I felt that it was worth waiting either until I had the time to do it justice or something even better arrived on the scene. By the looks of it this new Italeri version it provides for much of my planned detailing right out of the box - in particular lowered flaps, detailed cockpit etc  it even has the engines...! All this certainly helps to defary the realatively high price of the kit if you planned to buy these as aftermarket. I guess there is always the chance to embelish what's there if appropriate, but I'm hoping its all good enough.

The common cry we usually hear with any Tornado kit is the nose shape is off, or the panel lines are wrong, or the sit of the aircraft is not right... or worse (Hobbyboss...:hmmm:); although my preference is generally to convey the look and feel of a subject rather than absolute accuracy, its really nice to have both!  I really hope that the kit designers have noted others' errors and this kit is spot on with these (and everything else). If I'm honest my corncern with Italeri kits in recent years is probably the finesse or otherwise of their panel lines. I am hoping that in 1/32 these will be OK, however contrary to my usual habits I will hold off ordering until the kit has been reviewed by those more learned than me.

Not so bothered about the absence of UK stores in this kit as if/when I buy it, I fully intend to backdate mine to an RAF Germany GR.1 in old school DSG/DG. Now where did I put those old Paragon JP233's?  

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Decal sheet announced from Xtradecal

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X32070

• Panavia Tornado GR.4 - ZD716, ‘DH’ - crewed by Flt. Lt. N. Shawyer and Wg. Cdr. M. J. Bressani of 31 Squadron, Royal Air Force, RAF Marham, March, 2019.
  • Panavia Tornado GR.4 -  ZG752 - crewed by Sqn. Ldr. I. Dornan and Sqn. Ldr. S. Beardmore of IX(B) & 31 Squadron, Royal Air Force, RAF Marham, March, 2019.
  • Panavia Tornado GR.4 - ZG750 - XV(R) Squadron, Royal Air Force, RAF Lossiemouth, 2016

X32070.jpg X32070-3.jpg X32070-4.jpg

X32070-2.jpg
X32070-1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - MRCA Tornado GR.4 by Italeri - released
4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Jacksons?

How did you guess. I’ll always try and support my local model shop. Incredibly well stocked for its size and they were cheaper than the big H.

On 10/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, RichG said:

I'm very, very tempted...

I can resist everything except temptation... damn it! Order placed!

Rich

15 minutes ago, petetasker said:

How did you guess. I’ll always try and support my local model shop. Incredibly well stocked for its size.

Not much in the way of options! He's always looked well stocked through the window, but he's never been open when I'm anywhere near. Good service from the website though.

• Like 1