1/32 - MRCA Tornado by Italeri - GR.4, ECR & IDS released

Homebee

This is strange approach. Italeri is one of traditional EU companies, but not too agile (and this is typic for all traditional companies) as more aggresive and innovative competetiors from Asia... (Or former East Block). And need money. Your money. When released long awaited Tornado - you must bought it from Italeri, because money must go in to cash of Italeri. Not Revell ! When you can a really new tool kits from Italeri, you must bought their kits... In other approach you can awaited a re-box of re-box only...

And Tornado is probably very popular in EU market. Both re-box of Revell quarter scale Tonkas in Eduard re-box was sold out very quickly !

And Gr.4  was never released after Italeri in big scale.

I don´t know what so popular is bigs scale in USA. F-22 Raptor in big scale still isn´t released, F-15 family is still from old mould of Tamiya, F-16 exist as non-actual kit of Tamiya, Academy and very old Hasegawa... Jets (and twin engined jets extra) isn´t cheap. (I have only big scale jet a Super Hornet from Revell - but when i read a reviews, i not sure, when i build it in my life... (And i bought it as "weekend project - few parts, big scale....)... 

My dream is IAF F-15 in 1/32.... as complete kit, not as conversion...

And F-22.

13 hours ago, AlCZ said:

This is strange approach. Italeri is one of traditional EU companies, but not too agile (and this is typic for all traditional companies) as more aggresive and innovative competetiors from Asia... (Or former East Block). And need money. Your money. When released long awaited Tornado - you must bought it from Italeri, because money must go in to cash of Italeri. Not Revell ! When you can a really new tool kits from Italeri, you must bought their kits... In other approach you can awaited a re-box of re-box only...

And Tornado is probably very popular in EU market. Both re-box of Revell quarter scale Tonkas in Eduard re-box was sold out very quickly !

And Gr.4  was never released after Italeri in big scale.

I don´t know what so popular is bigs scale in USA. F-22 Raptor in big scale still isn´t released, F-15 family is still from old mould of Tamiya, F-16 exist as non-actual kit of Tamiya, Academy and very old Hasegawa... Jets (and twin engined jets extra) isn´t cheap. (I have only big scale jet a Super Hornet from Revell - but when i read a reviews, i not sure, when i build it in my life... (And i bought it as "weekend project - few parts, big scale....)... 

My dream is IAF F-15 in 1/32.... as complete kit, not as conversion...

And F-22.

It´s very simple: For the manufacture it´s not a hobby but business.

They launch the kit they see the best chance to make money with.

There is no other justification for releasing a kit than making money. Period.

As a builder I have so many wishes.

As a manufacture I can´t live from making wishes come true but have to pay my employees, lease rates, energy cost, insurance, tool maker, loan rates....and by the way I need to earn money to work on the next kid. 

To make a long story short:

The manufacture looks into the average market and figures out what will be the best cash makers.

Guess the reason why a F-22 is not released so far is because of manufactures don´t see enough buyers to pay their investment off. 

With respect to the F-4 / F-15 and even the old F-14 from Tamiya.

They might be old but obviously sales volume is high enough to pull out (and maintain by the way which cost money) the old molds put them on the production machines, manufacture some and ship them.

• Like 1

I see Italeri have put a new 'taster' up about this kit on the scrolling bar at the top of their home page today, listing some of the features

(opening radar nose, 4 RAF schemes , rubber and plastic wheels/tyres to list some of them) and what looks to be some new artwork of a different jet to the one in the original art carrying the smaller underwing tanks rather than the 'hindenburgers'.

https://www.italeri.com/en

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

I see Italeri have put a new 'taster' up about this kit on the scrolling bar at the top of their home page today, listing some of the features

(opening radar nose, 4 RAF schemes , rubber and plastic wheels/tyres to list some of them) and what looks to be some new artwork of a different jet to the one in the original art carrying the smaller underwing tanks rather than the 'hindenburgers'.

https://www.italeri.com/en

Great to see a post about the actual kit! Thanks for posting, looks like an Op Telic scheme might be one of the options then.👍

• 3 weeks later...

There are more photos up on Facebook now - kit breakdown does seem to suggest an F3 will be possible with just two sprues replaced. 

The decal schemes appear to be the three Retirement jets plus an op Telic bird.

Sadly it would appear it only has hindenburger tanks, so I'll have to nick a set of the standard ones from a Revell kit.

Delivery has been pushed to November 🙄

Cheers,

WV908

8 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Kit looks nice. Doesn't appear to be any RAF specific weapons unfortunately.

Aren't those 2 x Paveway IV above the HARM on the weapons sprue? I notice that  there are also AIM-9X and AMRAAM on the sprues . Only the AMRAAM is applicable to an F-3.

Edited by Stephen

The absence of newer RAF specific weapons is a little disappointing , specifically Brimstones , but I have to assume that the release of this kit might well spur Eduard to stir themselves to produce weapons and PE sets , all of which have been sadly lacking for the Revell kit - but I've always been an optimist!

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Aren't those 2 x Paveway IV above the HARM on the weapons sprue? I notice that  there are also AIM-9X and AMRAAM on the sprues . Only the AMRAAM is applicable to an F-3.

Think they will be GBU-12's, you could dress them up as Paveway IV, as similar in appearance. They'll be missing conduit and gps, think the tails maybe different too.

11 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Think they will be GBU-12's, you could dress them up as Paveway IV, as similar in appearance. They'll be missing conduit and gps, think the tails maybe different too.

I think Paveway IV, the hardback looks to be on the sprue between the bomb parts and the AIM-9L/M Sidewinder.

• Like 2

Those weapons all look a bit strange shapewise... half of them never used on any Tornado... what is the point here when the ECM pods on the same sprue are Tornado exclusive!

The complicated parts break down reminds me on the new  Revell Tornado in 48 unfortunately :(

• Like 1

The only real advantage of buying this over the old Revell kit is the intake trunking - everything else can be bought as aftermarket and it would still come under the price of this kit. It therefore seems pointless picking this up for effectively intake trunking and new decals. 

Yet my pre-order stays. Hmm....

Cheers,

WV908

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think Paveway IV, the hardback looks to be on the sprue between the bomb parts and the AIM-9L/M Sidewinder.

Well spotted, think your correct!

Does the side of the box not seem to suggest 6 decal options?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Muzz said:

Does the side of the box not seem to suggest 6 decal options?

It does, but then the decal sheet description lists only four. You'll notice that out of the six shown, three are the camo retirement jet.

Cheers,

WV908

Hmmm this is a tricky one for me. I love Tornadoes and have this on pre-order. But it is a lot of money... what 3 or 4 times the price of the Revell Gr.1. Add a resin cockpit and a Flightpath detail set and you are in it for the same money. Had it been a AAA manufacturer I would be super excited, but Italeri....

That being said I will probably still complete my pre-order and purchase it.

53 minutes ago, richie894 said:

What 3 or 4 times the price of the Revell Gr.1.

I managed to pick up both of my 32nd Revell GR.1's for less than £25 so yes, in theory with a bit of savvy shopping you could pick up five Revell GR.1's for the same price, or three with aftermarket. 

Things like the auxiliary intake doors on this new kit are a nice touch, but to make some for the Revell kit is nothing beyond a simple bit of scratch building. 

Cheers,

WV908 

Think I've held off long enough, going to have to order it now! Like the decal options, glad to see theres some standard squadron jets.👍 

• Like 1