1/32 - MRCA Tornado by Italeri - GR.4, ECR & IDS released

Homebee

Well that makes it easier - cast the the thrust reversers - I appreciate you’d have to make the vanes on the inside that Italeri provide as pe - then use Aries cans and cast compressor faces. Do-able if you really want to! Same goes with the EJ200’s with the Revell Typhoon if you want an engine out and two in the jet. Slightly surprising that the likes of Aires - or more likely Quickboost - haven’t done something already!

I used the quick-boost seats in mine and I'm quite impressed with the pit. I'm almost ready to paint but I'm confused about the paint call-out . It's hinting H147 which is a very light grey and is what  I normally use for brit undercarriage but I'm sure it's MSG.........unless the ARTF was lighter. Anyone know any different? I'm also hoping and praying that the A/M chaps get round to making 1/32 Brimstones and launch rack .....oh and a Terma pod. I'm sure there's a scratch for them  on another site but can't find it . For the ex plumbers amongst you. How close are the hellfire and Brimstone?

Edited by mtd350

4 minutes ago, mtd350 said:

I used the quick-boost seats in mine and I'm quite impressed with the pit. I'm almost ready to paint but I'm confused about the paint call-out . It's hinting H147 which is a very light grey and is what  I normally use for brit undercarriage but I'm sure it's MSG.........unless the ARTF was lighter. Anyone know any different? I'm also hoping and praying that the A/M chaps get round to making 1/32 Brimstones and launch rack. I'm sure there's a scratch for them  on another site but can't find it . For the ex plumbers amongst you. How close are the hellfire and Brimstone?

Aren't RAF cockpits all Admiralty Grey - Humbrol 5 ? Re Hellfire/Brimstone - might be worth having a look at the Tornado SIG website?

28 minutes ago, mtd350 said:

I used the quick-boost seats in mine and I'm quite impressed with the pit. I'm almost ready to paint but I'm confused about the paint call-out . It's hinting H147 which is a very light grey and is what  I normally use for brit undercarriage but I'm sure it's MSG.........unless the ARTF was lighter. Anyone know any different? I'm also hoping and praying that the A/M chaps get round to making 1/32 Brimstones and launch rack. I'm sure there's a scratch for them  on another site but can't find it . For the ex plumbers amongst you. How close are the hellfire and Brimstone?

Here’s a brief discussion on the forum from a few years ago which might help..........

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950356-artf-grey/

I’d say ARTF grey was a lighter grey than MSG too, don’t know anything about humbrol colours as I don’t use them so can’t comment on H147.

2 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Aren't RAF cockpits all Admiralty Grey - Humbrol 5 ? Re Hellfire/Brimstone - might be worth having a look at the Tornado SIG website?

I assumed he was talking about the main airframe colour call out. Tornado cockpits definitely dark admiralty grey.

15 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Here’s a brief discussion on the forum from a few years ago which might help..........

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950356-artf-grey/

I’d say ARTF grey was a light than MSG too, don’t know anything about humbrol colours as I don’t use them so can’t comment on H147.

Hmmm🤔....that didn't clear the mud up any. LAG is a possibility for ARTF as it bleached in the sun Might just stick to MSG and go with the Dambusters dec's

Cheers Muzz

Re. ARTF Grey , search for images of Tornado GR.4/F.3 , Harrier or Jaguar in their respective standard grey colours but carrying tanks or pods that are in ARTF Grey which was quite common for a long time after its use operationally and the difference between it and all of the other greys used on either airframes or other stores including LAG is readily apparent.

17 hours ago, Muzz said:

I seem to recall now, ARTF, is very close if not the actual colour of matt Camouflage Grey (Barley Grey).

They are often quoted as having the same paint reference but while that might have been the intention the end result (possibly because it was a temporary finish applied over the existing colour scheme as opposed to a permanent finish applied over primer) was something quite different as hopefully the following images of a 9 Squadron Tornado GR.4 departing RAF Leuchars during a CQWIC exercise in late June 2004 might show with the starboard 'Big Jug' in Camouflage/Barley Grey and the port in ARTF Grey.

p?i=bac9929aa8f8b6b70800bcd5583439a9

p?i=b7ee5a640d7b2015dd30b900d0164682

p?i=35f4cdd2cc47f297a4e8fc3bb2fa430a

p?i=397758332b5397995532531fd362caf4

• Like 2

Looking at the pic's Des, I would say Stbd 2250 was an F3 in LAG and the Prt one an ex Telic GR4 tank in ARTF as the base colour at the front   is similar to the kite. 🤔Maybe h147 is a close match for ARTF then. It just seems very light.

I'm curious about the pic's. Were they taken from the crash gate next to the UETF on the northern side of the airfield?

Edited by mtd350

58 minutes ago, mtd350 said:

I'm curious about the pic's. Were they taken from the crash gate next to the UETF on the northern side of the airfield?

Yes they were , from on top of the rusty metal box that was off to the side of the gate and before that awful tall close-meshed fence was erected.

49 minutes ago, Des said:

Yes they were , from on top of the rusty metal box that was off to the side of the gate and before that awful tall close-meshed fence was erected.

🤣🤣🤣 Used to pass you guys  all the time in a fuel tanker. Shocking how insecure the camp was. The chain link was erected to keep the deer out and was a vain attempt at security.

17 minutes ago, mtd350 said:

🤣🤣🤣 Used to pass you guys  all the time in a fuel tanker. Shocking how insecure the camp was. The chain link was erected to keep the deer out and was a vain attempt at security.

Was told that a certain army unit was tasked with checking the effectiveness of that style of fence which id in use at a lot of civil and military establishments , thirty seconds work with a disposable craft knife on the tips of their boots and problem solved , just as well that deer aren't very great with their hands.

Ever see the western end of the cross runway at Lossiemouth before they got new fencing long after Leuchars?      More of a trip hazard than a barrier.

4 hours ago, mtd350 said:

Looking at the pic's Des, I would say Stbd 2250 was an F3 in LAG and the Prt one an ex Telic GR4 tank in ARTF as the base colour at the front   is similar to the kite. 🤔Maybe h147 is a close match for ARTF then. It just seems very light.

Definately not Light Aircraft Grey, it was only an under surface colour on the F3. The tanks were the main camo colour of Camo grey (known as Barley Grey then) or MSG later in service.

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

Definitely not Light Aircraft Grey, it was only an under surface colour on the F3. The tanks were the main camo colour of Camo grey (known as Barley Grey then) or MSG later in service.

Could maybe confirm that with this image of a mainly Camouflage/Barley Grey over Light Aircraft Grey Tornado F.3 from 43 Squadron on a QRA Launch from Leuchars in March 2009 with ARTF coloured tank to starboard , Camouflage/Barley Grey tank to port and LAG undersides in between.

Might just be shadow but it is possible that the underside of the starboard wing is Medium Sea Grey , roundel would point to that as well although that on the fuselage is toned down pink/blue but by that stage in the game things were becoming a little confusing regarding colour schemes although not as glaringly so as with the GR.4 fleet.

p?i=9a037e4923a3f8c64e439e9985056d95

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2020 at 8:18 PM, Des said:

Could maybe confirm that with this image of a mainly Camouflage/Barley Grey over Light Aircraft Grey Tornado F.3 from 43 Squadron on a QRA Launch from Leuchars in March 2009 with ARTF coloured tank to starboard , Camouflage/Barley Grey tank to port and LAG undersides in between.

Might just be shadow but it is possible that the underside of the starboard wing is Medium Sea Grey , roundel would point to that as well although that on the fuselage is toned down pink/blue but by that stage in the game things were becoming a little confusing regarding colour schemes although not as glaringly so as with the GR.4 fleet.

p?i=9a037e4923a3f8c64e439e9985056d95

Yeh, I see that now  spot on with the patchwork comment too

Guys ... just sayin ... this kit is no longer a rumour, its available, mine arrived this morning, there are a couple of discussions going on here in more pertinent relevant threads, can we shift our attention there, please.

Merry Christmas all :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Guys ... just sayin ... this kit is no longer a rumour, its available, mine arrived this morning, there are a couple of discussions going on here in more pertinent relevant threads, can we shift our attention there, please.

Merry Christmas all :)

Mine is built just waiting on paint

• Like 2