1/32 - MRCA Tornado by Italeri - GR.4, ECR & IDS released

Homebee

I'm watching this with interest, it will be interesting if Italeri have really done there homework on this..

There are various books and references available freely, so no real excuse for getting the various details wrong between versions.  Italy flew the IDS version, so I'm guessing it will be based on that countries air frames. 

But the IDS/ECR are both in use so a little  risk of confusion there.

The RAF aircraft have a different pylon design, so i hope they provide both.

The 1/48th Revel kits has it errors, the forward wing sweep angle still baffles me to this day as its been printed in most publications since the jet was designed, so how it was wrong in the kit is amazing????  

I hold my breath to see what this new 1/32nd kit will be like..

• 2 months later...

There goes the hope of an F3 from the same tooling. 

Ah well, anyway I'm really happy to see the auxiliary air intakes finally being moulded as posable on a kit. 

Cheers,

WV908 

• Like 1

Surely this will be the ideal time for Italeri to release their 1/32 Modern Pilots and Ground Crew set. It's been about three years since they first announced it..... Or maybe they were just teasing us with it!

Chris. 

Well,if I see what Italeri did with their F-104 and Mirage III, they was not really great kits. So i don't expect that Italeri makes a Tornado now in Tamiya quality. That's why im not so excited now.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 4:28 AM, Harry Callahan said:

Well,if I see what Italeri did with their F-104 and Mirage III, they was not really great kits. So i don't expect that Italeri makes a Tornado now in Tamiya quality. That's why im not so excited now.

Wow, tough crowd. I thought both those kits were very nice. 

Certainly looking forward to this kit, the 1/32 Tornado needs an upgrade. 

• Like 8

On 6/12/2020 at 5:28 AM, Harry Callahan said:

Expecting that Italeri would do something in Tamiya quality would be very optimistic... they are Italeri, not Tamiya, from them you can expect Italeri quality. That in case of the 1/32 Mirage was actually better than their recent track record. but of course no Tamiya.

And really, there are very, very few companies from which I know that I can expect Tamiya quality. And none of these is likely to issue a 1/32 Tornado, so anyone interested in this kind of kit will likely have to live with the Italeri offering whenever this is released

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes Giogio, youre right of course, what i wanted to explain is, we live in the year 2020, can i not expecting higher quality than Italeris presents work? The tools made in CAD form, everything get made on Computer, they have laser cut, water cut and many more, so the modern technic is already there, but they should use it too. I built the F-104 in 1/32 from Italeri already, this time i was a bit disappointed when i had open the box. I dont want attack Italeri in general, but i find they should pay more attention to more quality.

the Leopard 1A3 in the 70th was this time better than the Tamiya one, so Italeri can, if they only want.

The extraordinary cost of producing kits of the quality you seem to expect in this scale means every single one has to be a bestseller or that company won't last long. That's why Tamiya play it safe in 1/32, only producing popular subjects with wide appeal at an eye-watering price point. Simply put, if Italeri wanted to go toe-to-toe with Tamiya in 1/32, they would not be producing any Tornados. 

If your expectation of Italeri's kits was based on, say, Revell or Hobby Boss (equivalent markets) I think it would stack up very well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Yes Giogio, youre right of course, what i wanted to explain is, we live in the year 2020, can i not expecting higher quality than Italeris presents work? The tools made in CAD form, everything get made on Computer, they have laser cut, water cut and many more, so the modern technic is already there, but they should use it too. I built the F-104 in 1/32 from Italeri already, this time i was a bit disappointed when i had open the box. I dont want attack Italeri in general, but i find they should pay more attention to more quality.

the Leopard 1A3 in the 70th was this time better than the Tamiya one, so Italeri can, if they only want.

Oh I agree with that, Italeri is a company that has let me down very often when it comes to quality ! They don't seem to have embraced all the advantages of more modern technologies yet and as a result many of their products in the last 10 years have been disappointing. This is made even worse by the fact that Italeri in the past was among the best when it came to mould quality. Things have moved on but Italeri seems stuck in a different era.

This is even more disappointing for me as they are in my same Country and their kit are easily available here. The local modellers community is somewhat split, some like Italeri anyway for "sentimental" reasons, others are extremely critical for my same reasons.

It should be said that in any case they must be doing something right considering that they have survived for over 50 years in the hand of the same owners while most if not all European manufacturers have gone bankrupt at least once and a number don't exist anymore. But still, I'd like to see them improving, and IMHO they need to improve a lot.

The 1/32 Starfighter is not a terrible kit, however it was disappointing, for the price I'd have expected much better. I should add that the following Mirage III in the same scale showed a clear improvement, hopefully the Tornado will be better. I sometime sound like a very harsh critic of Italeri but really, I'd like to see them offering better products !

• Thanks 1

Paying Tamiya price and getting Italeri quality would justify all the complaints. But paying Italeri price for Italeri quality does not give anything to complain about. I'm saying this not that because I am Italian, but because I am fair and just.

All those sprues of the new Tornado seem pretty convincingly a good offering to me.

I was not totally happy with the F-104 either. Lots of faults... But looks quite good when finished. We might expect some errors on this one too, but I do not think a nicely finished one will be a disappointing model. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RicardoD said:

Paying Tamiya price and getting Italeri quality would justify all the complaints. But paying Italeri price for Italeri quality does not give anything to complain about. I'm saying this not that because I am Italian, but because I am fair and just.

All those sprues of the new Tornado seem pretty convincingly a good offering to me.

I was not totally happy with the F-104 either. Lots of faults... But looks quite good when finished. We might expect some errors on this one too, but I do not think a nicely finished one will be a disappointing model. 

The problem here is that Italeri price can mean very different things... some Italeri kits are very cheap but others are seriously overpriced: I can buy their 1/72 Gripen for €13.50, not a modern kit but still Ok and this is a good price. But the ancient Supermodel CR.32 at € 16 ??? Or the Kfir at over € 20 ? And I could go on with many other examples.

The 1/32 kits are somewhere in the middle.. € 100 for the 104 is not cheap but can be acceptable.. but then Revell reboxed Italeri's own Mirage III for around € 70 and this is IMHO a price more in line with the quality of these kits. Of course Revell have a different distribution and pricing strategy.

We'll see what the Tornado will be like and how much it will cost. I'd expect more than the 104 because it is a more complicated aircraft afterall and will require a lot of parts. If they get the right price/quality ratio it will be quite popular

• Like 1

I really like the idea of a nice crisp new 32nd Tornado and I'm sure that it'll make up into a fine model and I'm holding off on building my Revell kit as I'm wondering whether to save the 617 Special tail markings for this new one.

Always a dodgy thing to comment based solely on the Cads and some sprue shots and the 'proof will be in the pudding' when it's finally out and someone's built one, but I guess the sprue shots are here to intrigue and promote discussion?

I was trying to figure out how those flaps and slats are going to assemble? I'm wondering if the bottom slatted parts might attach onto the flip side of the larger, tapered parts above them? I guess we'll see.

Having announced it specifically as a 'GR4', it'd be really nice if they could do the RAF version parts right, otherwise they might've been better off calling it an 'IDS' (with GR4 options)?

I'm suspecting that if you're a stickler for accuracy, that some panel re-scribing might be needed if you want a 100% GR4 (just looking, for example, at the large oval shaped UHF panel on the spine - which Revell also did - but which I've not seen on a GR4, although they are on the IDS version), whereas I also suspect it might build into a 100% IDS from the off? Again, we'll have to wait and see.

If it's as good as I hope it will be, then I'll be very happy to buy one and thumbs up to Italeri for doing it.

• Like 1

I welcome it and will probably buy it for what it is. I haven’t built the F104 or the Mirage but others’ builds look great. From my recent Revell build I learnt that the RWR is country specific to their own suite they use, so they have different shapes; but nothing a little modelling cannot solve. I welcome the deplorable flaps and slats. Is a wing glove included?, again no real biggy as it can be done.

Already I’ve got ideas floating around in the grey matter.

Edited by speedy

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Prepare for some anger! The UK RRP for this seems to be GBP140. The old Revell kit currently retails at GBP50, so let's hope that the improvement is worth it for Italeri!

Well, if that proves correct, it has just killed any interest I might have had in buying it.

Allan

13 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Prepare for some anger! The UK RRP for this seems to be GBP140. The old Revell kit currently retails at GBP50, so let's hope that the improvement is worth it for Italeri!

there goes my Tonka right out of the window.

I will definitely not spend $190 and I guess that´s what it will cost in the US if RRP in the UK is really at GBP140.