Royal Navy Merlins - Italeri/Revell differences?

WLJayne

Hey guys,

I'm looking to build an RN Merlin Mk2. I know both the Revell and Italeri kits are not great, but I just wondered whether any differences exist between the Revell HM.1 and the Italeri HMA.1 kits. Does anyone know? I know either will need work, but if one is a better starting point than the other it would be good to know.

I already have a set of properly folding rotors ready to 3D print that I design for my Italian EH-101 build.

Cheers,

Will.

They are not bad kits, Itlaeri made some minor revisions to the mould before they released their HMA1 version, principally making the blade root fairings more accurate for production aircraft. (There may be other minor changes but I can't spot them!)

Ironically, the Revell kit has better decals

Edited by Dave Fleming

So if I'll be adding my own rotors, it sounds like the revell kit would be he one to go for due to having better decals, is that about right?

46 minutes ago, Edge said:

Those folding blades do look rather nice.....

Thanks mate! I just wish they weren't so expensive :(. I only put a 5% markup on them for myself, all the rest goes to Shapeways. Having said that, I've ordered two sets of them and the quality is very good and the service is excellent.

• Like 1

Revell updated the Itlaeri prototype to production standard with better decals & is the best starting place. See modartdecs web site I help produce Merlin HMA Decals which will help produce HMA2 .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Revell updated the Itlaeri prototype to production standard with better decals & is the best starting place. See modartdecs web site I help produce Merlin HMA Decals which will help produce HMA2 .

So the Revell is the one to go for then yes?

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2017 at 0:28 PM, WLJayne said:

So if I'll be adding my own rotors, it sounds like the revell kit would be he one to go for due to having better decals, is that about right?

Thanks mate! I just wish they weren't so expensive :(. I only put a 5% markup on them for myself, all the rest goes to Shapeways. Having said that, I've ordered two sets of them and the quality is very good and the service is excellent.

Those look superb.  Any chance you'd up-scale them to 1/48?