Tornado GR4 questions

Bell209

G'day gurus,

My next project to commence is Tornado GR4 ZD844, which I was lucky enough to get a ride in while on ops in February 2004. I want to model it as it was in 617SQN markings (AJ-A) at the time. I'll be using the Revell 1/48 IDS kit with donations, as required, from the Airfix GR4/A kit I stupidly bought before reading its reviews. I'd like some advice, please:

1. I'm looking at the Armory wheels but there are two versions - which do I use?

2. I know the MB Mk 10A seats are different for each version - what are the differences in the AM sets so I can modify them (I'm an ex-Armament Fitter, so please be as detailed as you like with the descriptions and terms);

3. Is there a suitable AM for the cockpits or do I need to make something?

4. Where do the speed brakes normally rest with the engines shut down: closed, open or mid-way?

5. Any other AM stuff that's worth getting?

I'll be referring to General Melchett's excellent build for kit corrections, too.

Edited by Bell209

The MK.10 seats fitted to current Tornado GR.4's have a different head box design to the original seats, the straps are also a different colour, along with other detail differences-

Original head box

Current head box

Eduard do some GR.4 goodies- 

EDUARD GR.4 gubbins

Neomega also do some resin but I think scaled it's for the Airfix kit so may not be suitable for the Revell kit?

The airbrakes are default closed when the engines are shut down, unless left open for maintenance or other reasons.

Can't help with the other stuff...

-Daz

• Like 1

4dLPnEEJyhVJvNPtDEb6_SsFiUVg73CW223QD227

Here's me about to go for my ride with 31SQN on 21 Feb 04. Can anyone please tell me what the store is on the inside of the LH Inboard Pylon above the external tank?

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:52 AM, Bell209 said:

4dLPnEEJyhVJvNPtDEb6_SsFiUVg73CW223QD227

Here's me about to go for my ride with 31SQN on 21 Feb 04. Can anyone please tell me what the store is on the inside of the LH Inboard Pylon above the external tank?

According to one of my modeling colleagues, who  used to be with Hawker and BAE North America, it is a BOL chaff/flare dispenser. The gray nose is a radome which works in the same frequency range as the seekers on the missiles  encountered- when a seeker threat is detected in the frequency range installed, flares and/or chaff are dispensed. I never really noticed one before, but after seeing this, I went back and looked at other photos, and there they were!

Mike 

Bell209- Wouldn't all coastlines in Australia be sunshine coasts? Just wonderin'

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Bell209- Wouldn't all coastlines in Australia be sunshine coasts? Just wonderin

Nah, some of the southern ones are positively English in Winter! ;)

Thanks for the info, too!

Edited by Bell209

• 1 year later...

Next question - there was no control column fitted to the rear of ZD844 when I flew in it and I don't remember there being rudder pedals, either - have I remembered correctly? I'm working through the Eduard set (which would have been good to reference before I painted the tub!) and I'm not sure if I should fit the pedals to the Nav's position at all.

Would everything in the wheel wells be grey (painters hate masking, I know)? I assume wiring may be white and the avionics boxes black but pipes would likely be grey, too - am I on the right path? The CMK detail set is very nice.

I'll post first photos soon.

Hi Rob

Some Tornado airframes were/are designated with a T for example GR4T or GR1T indicating that they were fitted with duel controls. Your airframe wasn’t a ‘T’ so didn’t have these features, the Op Telic aircraft were retrofitted with the top part of the control columns fitted on either side of the canopy rail, so the nav could hold on and punch out chaff/flare when pulling g’s. You can see one of them in the photo you posted of you standing in front of the jet with the open canopy.

Murray

2 hours ago, tweeky said:

From memory the wheel well and nose U/c bay would be semi gloss white. The Fatigue meter in the STBD wheel well.

This may help https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971017-panavia-tornado-gr4-zd843-operational-kandahar-afghanistan/

The undercarriage bays, gear legs and wheels were actually a very light grey colour and not white at all.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, 72modeler said:

According to one of my modeling colleagues, who  used to be with Hawker and BAE North America, it is a BOL chaff/flare dispenser. The gray nose is a radome which works in the same frequency range as the seekers on the missiles  encountered- when a seeker threat is detected in the frequency range installed, flares and/or chaff are dispensed. I never really noticed one before, but after seeing this, I went back and looked at other photos, and there they were!

Mike 

Bell209- Wouldn't all coastlines in Australia be sunshine coasts? Just wonderin'

The item is indeed a BOL launcher. The launcher has a chaff dispenser built into the rear 3/4's of the launcher, replacing the Nitrogen bottle that occupies the area in a LAU-7. The bulbous front end is a nitrogen bottle that replaces the nitrogen bottle in the rear of the launcher. Nitrogen is used to cool the head of Sidewinder and ASRAAM Missiles. BOL Launchers are only ever fitted to the inboard pylons on Tornado F.3's. The increased width at the rear of the launcher would be struck by the flaps when they were lowered.

Ex F.3 Armourer by the way.

On 1/29/2017 at 3:51 AM, Bell209 said:

Nah, some of the southern ones are positively English in Winter!

According to my late wife's uncle in Oz "It can get bloody cold in winter - I remember it dropping below 20C at one time".

Yeah, it's like that where I live - no-one local goes in the water without a wetsuit in Winter - the water temp sometimes gets as low as 18 deg C!