Chapel Lane Yard

06/24

Back home, a day off yesterday saw some progress – although ballasting was a disaster, and will have to be rethought, but the rails are painted and there’s some greenery starting to appear. (All too uniform just now, but I’ll work on layering it up.)

32084927983_3a8499fa5f_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Exciting delivery at Chapel Lane yard, excerpt from the Westmorland Gazette, February 1907

The proprietors of the Eden Valley light railway are pleased to report the arrival of the new waiting shelter for Kaber Lane Halt, provided by the renowned construction firm, Messrs Dogbox Designs. They have assured passengers from Brough Sowerby and Nateby that similar provision will be made for them in the fullness of time.

32802522472_3b6daf7ce3_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Railway owners, farmers and other parties who may wish to purchase a similar property should enquire here.

LMS Staff Magazine, February 1936

New arrival on the Eden Valley Light section.

Market day passengers in Westmorland’s Eden Valley can now be assured of swift and comfortable connections between the towns and villages, with the arrival of the latest clean, quiet, convenient petrol powered railcar. The railcar offers considerable savings in manpower and expense, and has enabled the divisional inspector to authorise an increase in services on market days over the entire route.

32802522302_b70220bf65_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Yesterday was a day of domestic servitude (redecorating a bedroom) so no modelling but I did manage to sneak out to IKEA.

The layout sits on top of a "Billy" bookcase and is sized to suit. But it suddenly dawned on me that if I shifted my library of military history off the shelves, and bought some extra shelves, I could make the layout (and any future modules) sit in the bookcase itself. Add some doors and hey presto the layout has its own dustproof home. I'm clearly a bit slow sometimes, dunno why I didn't think of this sooner.

New foundations. Much more discreet. An expensive way to buy chipboard, but worth it for the neat finish and size compatibility - although the layout needed shortened by about an inch, this didn't matter as the true inglenook nature was governed by the level crossing gates, not the baseboard edge.

32159286713_615afddf8c_c.jpgNew foundations 😊 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Here’s Chapel lane snug in its new home.

32843160702_59678ae29d_c.jpgNew home by jongwinnett, on Flickr

More decorating today, so not much progress, but I have planted a tree! Be gentle, it’s my first attempt at making one.

32844632042_fdb04f0b54_c.jpgFirst tree 🌲 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

32844632172_b4efa4c77f_c.jpgFirst tree 🌲 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Tonight’s activity was quite a bit of effort, for perhaps not very much progress, but I think it will prove worthwhile in the long run. One job was to trim another baseboard to a sliding fit into the bookcase/cupboard, but the main work was a new backscene, to replace the overly tall, and ineffective Gaugemaster one. This time, inspired by the likes of Creech bottom, I used an ID Backscenes “premium” version, which is a sort of self-adhesive vinyl. It is fitted to a 1/8th inch ply board, which is bracket onto the back of the baseboard with two flush mount brackets, making it removable, for storage and to allow me to work and photograph from either side of the board. I think it looks much better, even without any modelled transition.

32902332412_1ab98c1ec3_c.jpgNew backscene by jongwinnett, on Flickr

32902332362_8382df443c_c.jpgNew backscene by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Thanks Pete,

I'm struggling to find reference material for Midland cattle docks, while I don't yet have a track plan in mind for Outhgill, (beyond the turntable release) and, with Chapel Lane paused while I fix the chapel doors, I knocked up a quick module showing the line crossing one of the Eden's many tributary becks.

32297732853_8f0a4f280d_c.jpgNew module by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 1

Tonight's modelling saw the bridge abutments finished (I'm no civil engineer so if they are wrong, too late!)

I then fashioned a deck from ply and the Wills parts, and added the side girders. All easier said than done, but I think its starting to look the part.

32311615444_5d3e6bfeea_c.jpgThe beck by jongwinnett, on Flickr

32311615424_b1878484e8_c.jpgThe beck by jongwinnett, on Flickr

33029433851_6649579de8_c.jpgThe beck by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Kind of you, but the layout ended up being scrapped I'm afraid. I built another small 009 layout subsequently, Hartley No.2 quarry which is documented on the NGRM forum. Not sure but you might need to be a member to view: Hartley

I haven't done much railway modelling lately, but am tinkering with some N gauge, BR Blue which I might start a thread for eventually.

• Sad 1

On 2/25/2017 at 8:50 PM, 06/24 said:

I'm struggling to find reference material for Midland cattle docks,

Details of LMS cattle docks in "LMS Architecture" OPC book believe the authors are Jenkinson & Essery

• Like 1

• 1 month later...