Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost T.3

Hi All

First one completed for 2017.

Started over the Christmas holidays, finished earlier this week. Mainly out of the box, but I added some of the missing scoops and inlets on the spine and beside the cockpit, also the small intake on the nose, also added a few bits of plastic card on instrument coaming to make it look a little busier. Tried to improve the front lights but did not work as well as I hoped, also removed wing tip lights and made new ones using clear sprue. The decals are a NIGHTMARE, I found them really tricky to work with, especially the Dayglo, (I made a few small errors myself with the decals), thankfully I have two kits so as I destroyed various decals I could get a replacement......... Last but not least made the school boy error of not adding nose weight, so I had to insert a metal pin and make a small base to get it to stand correctly.

I persevered as I really like the box art and as soon as I saw that I knew that it was one of the schemes that I had to build. Now comes the problem I still want to build about another 6 with different schemes, I have one more kit so that is a help, but not sure what scheme will be done next.

cheers Ali

IMG_1652_zpsmaumncek.jpg IMG_1648_zps1rwbywz9.jpg

IMG_1664_zpsttoncdoi.jpg  IMG_1662_zps1oqqffjk.jpg

IMG_1660_zpsu8pol4gi.jpg  IMG_1655_zpspocrrxvy.jpg

IMG_1651_zps2tfdpbcv.jpg  IMG_1650_zpsfyk7i50v.jpg

IMG_1646_zps9d6rs7rf.jpg  IMG_1645_zpswh2fyrj2.jpg

• Like 52

What a stunning, clean and crisp build you have there!

Nicely done :)

As for the decals, I didn't have many trouble with the decals in my kit (although I used the red and white scheme). I gather that the dayglo stripes are thicker to represent the dayglo tape used on the real aircraft (correct me if I'm wrong). Nevertheless, they ought to be more intuitive to apply- so something that Airfix can learn from for the future.

Looks great - You were brave to persevere with the kit decals. I replaced them with ones cut from Tauro fluoro sheet stuff and it worked much better. It is s sweet kit and it is a pity Lord Airfix did not do the spine intakes which are so distinctive.

Nice. But I,m not sure about the internal centre canopy frame.All the pics I see show that Airfix are correct in having it outside. All the same, you have done well.

Fantastic realistic build Ali....great to see a JP with all its bumps, intakes and aerials.........I don't think anything is missing......great ' in service ' weathering too.

cheers, Adey

That is a cracking build Ali and I love the colour scheme. In fact it has inspired me to stick one on the wish list.

I don't have your skills though, so is there a good 1/48 version of this with the same scheme that you can recommend?

Nice one Ali. I'm just applying the kit decals to my kit and agree with everyone's horror sentiments. 

I'm finding that an initial dip in kettle hot water really helps - as well as a good dose of Micro Sol and Mr. Mark setter. The trick is to go slow and make sure that each dayglo strip has settled before attempting the others. 

One thing - these decals look much better viewing them in the flesh. Ali's kit is that good in these photos that it must look fantastic to the naked eye. Our Cameras just cannot seem to capture the brilliance of these dayglo decals. 

When decalling this kit you will curse and swear until the cows come home but stick to it - you will be hasomely rewarded. 

Cheers and great build.. Dave

Thanks guys for all the comments, glad that you all have enjoyed looking at my model. I am always my hardest critic, like most of us, but I am happy how it has come out.

Meant to say I won model of the month at my Edinburgh club on Thursday the 19th with this, out of 13 models entered.

I was rushing the post a little last night especially when PHOTOBUCKET was messing me around again.

Any way a few more points that I omitted to tell or say and also from some points that have been raised reminded me of similar issues.

So step by step here are a few more points.

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

Nice. But I,m not sure about the internal centre canopy frame.All the pics I see show that Airfix are correct in having it outside. All the same, you have done well.

Paul I did check this for myself, using the very reliable web, firstly there are some great pictures on our very own Britmodeller website, under the walkround section that Julien keeps up to date and so neat and tidy. I always use that section as a first point of call for reference when looking at new projects.

Then there is this link http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?119902-Shuttleworth-8th-Oct-with-some-from-outside it shows it very clearly from the top view, also this picture, and I will apologise in advance I do not know where I found this on the WEB, but it is not mine.

dscf1753_zpsux8ssl1j.jpg

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice one Ali. I'm just applying the kit decals to my kit and agree with everyone's horror sentiments. 

I'm finding that an initial dip in kettle hot water really helps - as well as a good dose of Micro Sol and Mr. Mark setter. The trick is to go slow and make sure that each dayglo strip has settled before attempting the others. 

One thing - these decals look much better viewing them in the flesh. Ali's kit is that good in these photos that it must look fantastic to the naked eye. Our Cameras just cannot seem to capture the brilliance of these dayglo decals. 

When decalling this kit you will curse and swear until the cows come home but stick to it - you will be hasomely rewarded. 

Cheers and great build.. Dave

I just picked out on Dave's comments although I realise other have said similar things as well, it is just Dave seems to have picked up on similar points to me.

Firstly the dayglo decals are more tricky than the others, but are probably just a little thicker and more brittle having possibly white and then the colour printed, but to be honest I have found other recent Airfix decals tricky and others from this kit also needed to be 'worked' but also care taken.

As I said I made some errors in placing decals in the 'wrong' places, so take care and read the instructions very carefully, especially the decals around the leading edges of the wings, these are the most tricky to apply but you also need to get them in the correct places so that the rest of the deca;s fit to the pattern.

As far as applying decals I agree with Dave, I used very warm water, positioned decal, then added DACO extra strong decal solution and then waited for it to be pulled down into shape and conform. However this is where I messed a few more decals up as once the solution starts working DO not move the decal, I know that but the building impatience comes in, or you see it is not quite square or true and you think or know that you will just TWEEK it a little...............

The pain with using hot water is you need to have the kettle close by to keep topping the decal bowl up for every decal or two at best. YES it is a slow process but if you want to do it that is the way to work.

On the colour and overall finish I needed to tone everything down, especially the dayglo, I gently sprayed a little yellow over a few patches of the dayglo parts in some areas, and then I am also using quite a lot of products from the True Earth range, you can find their products at http://www.true-earth.com 

I know that there are lots of washes, filters etc on the market but I am playing around with their products and I am enjoying them. 

For this build I mainly used the LIGHT AGEING as a panel wash and then I also gave the entire airframe, once I had washed and add the decals, a light overall spray over with PAINT FADING 3, and then a final coat of satin varnish.

5 hours ago, NickR said:

That is a cracking build Ali and I love the colour scheme. In fact it has inspired me to stick one on the wish list.

I don't have your skills though, so is there a good 1/48 version of this with the same scheme that you can recommend?

Nick there is the FLY 1/48 scale kits of the JP 3 and 5, but these are a fair bit more expensive and I cannot remember if the 3 has a dayglo scheme in the box, I KNOW it is not the exact same scheme if it does have one.

However if you really do want to build this same aircraft just get the Airfix one and take the hints and tips as above and give it a try, at worst buy two kits, and then do the second one in the alternative scheme or get the Xtradecal sheet that Hannants does as there are some other great options on that sheet.

cheers Ali

• Like 1