Calling all Boulton Paul Defiant aficionados

Murray

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any decent reference imagery/schematics to the Boultan Paul's Merlin XX engine? I was thinking if there are any decent plans I'll try model it in Autodesk with the intention of 3D printing it. Could be interesting... 

Failing that, I was thinking about picking up CMK's 1/72 resin Merlin XX up and kit bashing an engine mount and plumbing together. Would this be correct in a BPD? (In particular a MK 1) 

What do you's think? 

8358e60bf1f46ebb97e7d29ebaf3c25b.png

The engine in question.... 

Cheers! 

I'll record whatever I do and upload it to MURRODELS where you can also see a couple other videos I finished. Theres a bunch more on the way!

16 hours ago, gingerbob said:

The Merlin XX (Defiant II) has a different supercharger housing, which is a bit longer than that of the Merlin III in the Defiant I.

I did some more research and had a gander on eBay, CMK also produce a resin Merlin 2 for the hurricane. I'm sure I'll be able to get that work. Thanks for your help!

If you are looking for images of the two engines for comparison, The Merlin in perspective - the combat years by Alec Harvey Bailey and British piston aero-engines and their aircraft by Alec Lumsden have profile photographs, and the latter has cutaway drawings in it as well of both the Merlin III and XX.

• Like 1

Hey! Thanks for the replies guys. I've seen that picture of those guys working on that BPD. Its pretty decent but I think I'd struggle to pull any kind of measurements from it with any level of accuracy. I was thinking about trying to scratch one entirely but I'm not sure I have the sanity for that. I did see a Merlin II that might be applicable...
6d4d05c746077b39a097587fc9b100e5.jpg 
Think I might go with this guy, thoughts? 

Cheers! 

• 1 month later...