February's MFH Mystery Model ????

Cratecruncher

7 hours ago, paul178 said:

Had a Comet in 1962 cost me £59 from a dealer in Luton He also had a Shadow at £70 to rich for me.

BTW the Comet was like riding a drunken pig!

19% difference between a Comet and a Shadow - Ha Ha !!

My Rapide with a Steib cost me £99 in 1965 or '66 from a dealer in the Goldhawk Road West London.

Here's a photo of it in 1:8 ...... I've another un-started Big Six Shadow kit too, I wonder if I should get rid of it now before the MFH version appears?

image001.jpg

They handled very badly indeed IF the suspension was not in first class condition (mine certainly wasn't !).

I may have jumped the gun regarding those Brampton forks.  Looking more closely at the headlight photo I'm not sure which they are.  I guess we'll just have to wait for more revealing images to know for sure.  Speaking of images, there's a new one out showing the series B/C double seat this morning.  Can't wait!

Hi Cratecruncher,

I may have jumped the gun regarding those Brampton forks.  Looking more closely at the headlight photo I'm not sure which they are.  I guess we'll just have to wait for more revealing images to know for sure.  Speaking of images, there's a new one out showing the series B/C double seat this morning.  Can't wait!

No, I think you were right in the first place. If you look behind the headlight, you can see a large spring which I think was only present on the Brampton forks. To the best of my knowledge, the Girdraulics had an enclosed spring/damper unit instead of an exposed spring.

So it looks like an early version.

Dave

PS Just looked on their site and there's a picture showing a set of early forks! Definitely an early version!

Edited by Fastcat

16 minutes ago, Fastcat said:

To the best of my knowledge, the Girdaulics had an enclosed spring/damper unit instead of an exposed spring.

So it looks like an early version.

Dave

PS Just looked on their site and there's a picture showing a set of early forks! Definitely an early version!

/\ This.

Trying to decide if I should build the Rapide with the polished engine cases or go the painted Black Shadow route.  That white metal engine would really look good polished.  On the other hand, the Shadow version draws attention to the pushrod tubes on the Vincent v-twin.  

Maybe wait and see what you get in the box. It would have to be an early Shadow with the Bramptons.

You'd need pretty decent castings to take a good polish and they won't have quite the colour that aluminium castings would have (I'm assuming they're diecast or white metal) if you go down the route of a Rapide. White metal's more grey (gray!).

The black on the Shadow really does set off the bright stuff!

Hope you'll post your work on here.

Dave

New pics on the MFH website reveal many details and what will be included in the kit.  There will be turned aluminum for the axles, headlight, and speedo bezels - first class stuff there!  The brake drum cooling fins will be built up from photo-etch and we'll get a really nice rear "stop" light instead of the chromed lump we've suffered through in previous manufacturers kits.  There is even a pointer for the speedo on the fret - cool.  The clear and rubber parts all look first rate as well.  My only wish is that they'd molded the seat in resin instead of rubber so we could replicate the two-tone weave of the original in paint - but thats pretty minor.  Tires look perfect per usual.  Looks like it will be a fun build for those of us with the bug for bikes!

Fastcat - You just reminded me I have to finish my Brough here before I start this one.  I also have a 1/12th Ferrari P4 waiting in the wings but I'll eventually get to this one and post some pics here for anyone interested.

• 2 weeks later...