CP Air Boeing 747

kmf

This is the only thing I finished in 2016. I had a very slow year.

I’ve always wanted to build a CP Air 747, I just think the colours look cool. It just catches the eye. And that is why I like building airliners.

I have to say I think the Hasegawa kit is a nice kit. It does not need too much work done to it. I rescribed the panel lines and replaced to apu exhaust with some metal tubing. I planned to have a chrome finish. That plan changed. I had applied gloss black and chrome alclad but I could not find any way to seal the chrome Alclad with out dulling it down. I wanted to seal it so I could mask off for the orange. I decided chrome was going to look too much and was not going to work. So I went back to my way of doing things. I sprayed the orange and grey, then masked off for the alclad silver using the orange & grey as a base coat. (Rules are made to be broken). After the decals were applied I hand painted Winsor & Newton Gloss Varnish to seal everything. I prefer to hand paint gloss varnish. I get a better finish. I know some people think everything has to sprayed, but I can get a really good finish hand painting. I have been building airliners for years and before the airbrush I had to hand paint, so you learned how to paint without leaving brush marks. 

The decals are from TwoSix Decals. As always they are good. Work first time.

Thank you for any comments.

Regards

Ken

IMG_20170120_195142687_zpscgydvseo.jpg

IMG_20170120_195210818_zpssidha1h3.jpg

IMG_20170120_195317084_zps00bex8ey.jpg

IMG_20170120_195244408_zpsqliecf1o.jpg

• Like 27

Very nice. I always loved the CP Air colour scheme - I remember seeing their DC-10s (and maybe 747s - not sure - it's a while ago now!) at Manchester in the early 80s. Even got to sit in the cockpit of one once - wouldn't happen now!

Lovely! I'm wondering whether to do one of these or a DC10 in 1/144 now. Nice grubby wings and tail, just how I like my models!

Like Zebra I remember seeing these, but at Gatwick, in the early 80's.

Keep 'em coming Ken!

Cheers,

Ian

LIKE * LIKE * LIKE * LIKE *  absolutely brilliant! I See more and more of this 1:200 Hasegawa Airliners built to perfection that put some 1:144 aircraft to shame ! Have to Try one some day.... Thanks for sharing your lovely build,     Olli 

Thank you for all your nice comments. It’s always nice to get feedback.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:07 PM, zebra said:

Very nice. I always loved the CP Air colour scheme - I remember seeing their DC-10s (and maybe 747s - not sure - it's a while ago now!) at Manchester in the early 80s. Even got to sit in the cockpit of one once - wouldn't happen now!

I remember visiting Manchester in the 80, but I don’t think I was lucky enough to see any CP Air aircraft.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:51 PM, Turbofan said:

Lovely! I'm wondering whether to do one of these or a DC10 in 1/144 now. Nice grubby wings and tail, just how I like my models

I’m thinking of building a 1/200 DC-10 in CP Air, have to see. I think the wings on an airliner have to be a little grubby, because that is the way they are. Any airliner I’ve been on the wings are always grubby.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:11 AM, Viking said:

Great looking 747, 1:200 has got to be a more sensible scale for big aircraft like this!

1/200 is the best scale for large aircraft like the 747 / 777 and so on…   I think I have about 8-10 747 waiting to be built. I could not even image building 10 1/144 scale 747s. I would like to try one of the newer Hasegawa kits like the 787.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:52 PM, Tbolt said:

Have you tried Vallejo Metal Varnish over chrome? It has minimal effect on metallic finishes, though I don't know what it's like on chrome.

I’ve not tried the Vallejo Metal Varnish. I was going to get a set of there Metal paints. I think they maybe not smell as much as the Alclad.

Ken

The 747 is one of my all time favourite airliners and you certainly have done justice to the queen of the skies.

That 747 looks just awesome and the CP Air scheme is spot on.

Class act:clap2::mike: