Sovereign Colourcoats

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

A start with an apology in case there is already a thread on this - but I can't see one.

I'm intrigued by this range of enamels and wonder about experiences you've had with them. I am a Humbrol enamel user, something that stems back to my youth (...40+ years) when the choice was more limited. I only recently returned to modelling and went straight for what I know. it is a bit hit and miss and many have reported but on the whole the Humbrol range works for me. However, the Sovereign range seems to offer a more accurate set of colours. So, how are they? Fine? Dense pigmentation? Easy application? Accurate?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Martin

I only use them in my airbrush and they are superb, plus they have a great range of colours, I use a Badger 20NH, I thin paints 50:50 and airbrush at about 20 psi, as with any modern paint you do need to give them a good stir, I use a Badger battery stirrer and stir the paint for at least 2 minutes sometimes 3. They dry to a satin sheen which is decal ready, highly recommended but I have never tried to brush paint them.

Cheers

Dennis

I brush paint with them.  I do find them thin, like many gloss and satin finish paints, but they have an excellent range of colours.  My models benefit from using a similar base matt, i.e. Humbrol, colour applied as an undercoat and then rubbed down before applying the Colourcoats.

I used to use Humbrol, but CC now make their own so I use that.  It also works on Humbrol and Precision Paint - possibly also Xtracolour but I don't recall trying it yet.   I don't prime, but then my use of an undercoat would presumably serve much the same purpose.  I've never found priming to be necessary on plastic, although there's a long-standing comment that all sprues should be washed before use.

I'm a big fan of Colourcoats. There's few companies that put as much effort into getting their colours right, or listen to constructive criticism in the spirit it was intended.

The pigmentation is very fine, but opacity isn't as dense as you'd find on vintage matt  Humbrol. That means more coats. You will need to stir thoroughly. When you've think you've stirred sufficiently, do it all over again. It's worth the effort. I thin with bog standard white spirit, but with a drop or two of Rustins Driers. It makes all the difference to the drying time, and I now use Rustins with all enamels. It's only a few quid and money well spent. You won't regret it!

I have used both airbrush and paintbrush. You just need a few more coats that you would with matt Humbrol. I usually prime with a neutral colour, and use whatever is nearest to hand, either enamel or acrylic.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

I'll second what others have said. The range of colo(u)rs is vast, and quality control seems to be much better than Humbrol's has been of late. They do have to be well stirred; I stir them thoroughly, starting with a small screwdriver, then switch to a battery-powered stirrer. Then I give them a good shake with a Robart paint shaker just to be sure. I thin mine with a mix of half mineral spirits and half xylol; the xylol (a lacquer thinner constituent) helps ensure they are well-mixed and also speeds up drying time. My only complaint is they have been hard to obtain here in Her Majesty's former colonies, but that has improved recently.

I normally use Xtracolor thinners as the two paints that I always use are Colourcoats and Xtracolour, as to a primer I don't use one, I just use a nail buffer to get a nice smooth finish on the plastic before painting.

Cheers

Dennis

I brush paint with them, and have used them on both Humbrol undercoats as per Graham, and over bare plastic. Usually two coats covers perfectly, even with light colours such as RAAF sky blue. Wonderful paints. If you are used to Humbrols, you already know how to operate them, with the difference that I have yet to get a 'bad' tin of Colourcoats.

The only issue I have with them is that most of the time the one colour I really want from them is out of stock in the single stockist down here. Being in the UK, you are right near the source. I wouldn't hesitate.