1/72 Eduard La-7

Probably time I get these photos up.

Here is my recently completed build of the Eduard 1/72 scale La-7 Profipack kit. The kit was built mostly out of the box but I indulged in a few additional bits 'n' bobs in the cockpit (not that they're in any way visible).

The kit went together reasonably well though I encountered a difficult wing to fuselage fit, and had a bit of trouble with it's DIY undercarriage alignment. The comically thick clear parts were also a bit disappointing. 

The plane is finished as Sergei Dolgushin's aircraft using the provided decals. Out of all the grey on grey schemes it jumped out at me with it's striking red nose and striped tail. Plus it didn't involve any camo masking :D. Due to some odd printing glitch my decal sheet had large amounts of excess carrier film :( Luckily the markings themselves were printed properly and went on well enough once cut out carefully.

Feel free to take a look at my WIP thread for all my trials and tribulations.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012308-172-eduard-la-7-profipack-oob-but-not-really-build/&

Can't say it's been the best build I've done but it is my first Soviet warbird and I'm quite pleased with it.

Excuse the number of photos, I think I went a bit overboard :blush:

IMG_6727_zpssmhshezw.jpg

IMG_6728_zpsb6na5dlk.jpg

IMG_6729_zpsfmhuh1wl.jpg

IMG_6731_zpsraimblnn.jpg

IMG_6732_zpsb9ofmnup.jpg

IMG_6733_zpsdw5djxu0.jpg

IMG_6734_zpsunp9hqym.jpg

IMG_6737_zpssljhh5um.jpg

IMG_6735_zps2otjprlh.jpg

IMG_6738_zps66qmnlzp.jpg

IMG_6740_zpslynmagci.jpg

IMG_6741_zps7ngs5cyp.jpg

IMG_6742_zpszt9irxce.jpg

IMG_6743_zpszbu82qjz.jpg

IMG_6744_zpseiqcln5m.jpg

IMG_6745_zpsi1qv5hhw.jpg

IMG_6746_zpsulraitvy.jpg

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 28

If that is not the best build you have done I would certainly like to see what you consider your best to be. In the right setting that would easily pass as a 1:1. Beauty! as our Antipodean friends would have it.

Excellent job on the Lavochkin! When I get around to finishing one of my two La-7 kits (one Eduard, one Hobby Boss) one of them will probably be Dolgushin's aeroplane because of the colourful markings. First Soviet warbird? Be careful - they're very addicting!

Best Regards,

Jason

Great job Squibby. I've had my eye on one of these, I really like the colourful markings. It's a slightly odd looking machine I think - a bit strangely proportioned, the wings look a bit small for the fuselage.

I'll have a look at your WIP thread. In particular I really like the way you've done the aerial wires - will have to have a look at how you did that.

I see what you mean about the comically thick clear parts! 

Cheers Zebra,

I kind of like it's lines, it's quite streamlined and sleek, it's rear fuselage doesn't taper off much and the nose widens out for the radial engine which makes the fuselage look a bit big for the stubby wide wings.

It's actually a very small plane as well, about the same size as a BF109 in my 1/72 collection.

I didn't go into too much detail on the antenna wiring in the WIP but it's a continuous length of smoke coloured monofilament mending thread looped through some tiny brass tubes (painted gunmetal).

As for the 3 inch thick glass...If you're a dab hand with Vacform canopies I'd definitely recommend looking into that.

• Like 1

I can see why you went for this scheme.  Sets off the pugnacious looks of this important fighter really well.  It looks terrific and I particularly like how you have represented the exhaust area.  A lovely model.

Looks really OK to me. Your model  conviencing me that one day I have to start do Russians - I have to few of them on shelves and so many in stash ....  :)

Cheers

J-W

Cheers guys,

The only thing that brings the build down in my mind is the silly thick canopy glass (I've really got to bite the bullet with Vacform in this scale) and the fact I messed up the heat shield metal panels and it was purely down to my own impatience... NMF doesn't hide scars literally and figuratively :D

I'll have to tackle some more Soviet birds, I'm looking for a decent IL-2, and a Yak-3 but apparently really good kits in 1/72 are thin on the ground. I also have my eye on a lend lease P-39, I hear the Academy kit is quite good for this.

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 1