I have recently undergone heart surgery which prevents me from exerting any pressure on my chest or arms but I need to mix some Milliput for a little build I want to do.  The effort to mix the two compounds into a pliable mould is too much for me in its normal state and would like to know if anyone has a solution to make this task easier for me please?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by bootneck
Heading changed to get viewers to read the actual request

Roll both parts into a sausage, twist the sausages (sausii?) together, then fold it over and scrunch it into a ball, roll out again and repeat.  4 or 5 trips to sausage-town will see your putty mixed nicely :)

3 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Try warming it for a few seconds in a microwave oven. It makes it softer and easier to mix. Experiment with the time but don't overdo it..

But if you do overdo it, please video it and post up the results! :frantic:  "modeller microwaves Milliput too long, and you won't believe what happens next!"

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Roll both parts into a sausage, twist the sausages (sausii?) together, then fold it over and scrunch it into a ball, roll out again and repeat

That's the part which hurts when I do that, hence my query about an easier method.  I'll give the microwave idea a try though.

cheers

Mike

19 minutes ago, bootneck said:

That's the part which hurts when I do that,

You could always ask Margaret to do it for you, but that might also hurt.  The food mix idea from Dave might be fatal however :owww:

Could you not just smoosh it between thumb & forefinger? :hmmm:

I'd follow Mikes advice, but I'd warm it in my hands rather than nuking it.....Roll it out into thin snakes, braid the snakes together, roll it out again, fold in half and rebraid, repeat ad nice mix.  :coolio:

This is how I normally mix Milliput TBH.

FWIW

Yes, that is how I have normally done it myself but, if you had noted my original post, you will see that way is a bit of a pain for me at the moment.  I shall revert back to that method when my chest and ribcage have fully healed. ^_^

Black Knight's water treatment sounds worth a try though.

cheers

Mike

Do you really need to use Miłłiput? Nowadays I find I use Tippex for most filling and only use the putty to make new parts.

FredTulloch

My query was about how to make Milliput easier to manipulate and not a question about which medium other people used.  As you can see, I am finding some of the responses quite tiresome and unhelpful.  If people do not know or do not have the answer to a specific question then it would be so much simpler to just not respond.  For those who have contributed in helping to answer my query, I thank you very much.

Mike

• Like 2

Mike put it in a container of hot water. Obviously you need to hold it with a towel but it will then squeeze out very well.

Putting it into a micro wave may actually dry the stuff.

Laurie

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

As of Wednesday I have noticed that Milliput, especially the white variety, is much easier to mix when it is warm. Here it is around 30-350 and the Milliput is very soft. I have experimented, (yesterday) and two pea-sized balls of white were readily mixed using one thumb and the cutting mat.

HTH!

Christian, exiled to africa, which might finally have been of some use; I hope...

• Like 1

Hi Laurie and Christian,

it does appear to be that warmth and wet seem to be the recommended solutions and I shall try them today.  Thank you for these suggestions.

Mike

9 hours ago, bootneck said:

If people do not know or do not have the answer to a specific question then it would be so much simpler to just not respond. 

I love it when people call a spade a spade and stick to their guns :) 

Good on ya mate! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, old thumper said:

I don't like the stuff to be honest but when I use it I have found that rubbing it vigorously between two ceramic wall tiles works best. 

I have been building kits for over 60 years and have used most methods, similar to yours Thumper which may work for you, but it might help to read my original post? 

I'm beginning to suspect that people are not bothering to check the original post but just looking at the header title and then going straight for the keyboard to respond. :hmmm:  As such, I shall amend the heading with the hope that responders will read the actual request first.

Mike

13 hours ago, bootneck said:

My query was about how to make Milliput easier to manipulate and not a question about which medium other people used.  As you can see, I am finding some of the responses quite tiresome and unhelpful.  If people do not know or do not have the answer to a specific question then it would be so much simpler to just not respond.  For those who have contributed in helping to answer my query, I thank you very much.

Mike

5 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I have been building kits for over 60 years and have used most methods, similar to this which may work for you, but it might help to read my original post?  I suspect that people are looking at the header and then going straight for the keyboard to respond. :hmmm:  As such, I shall amend the header with the hope that responders will read the actual request first.

Mike

Like most people I not have time to read entire topics from start to finish, nor do I expect other people to do so with topics that I may start.

My father had a quadruple by-pass operation some years ago and found that his ill tempered and aggressive manner did not help his recovery.  

Again, this response has no bearing on my request.  My response is neither ill tempered or aggressive and my recovery is going very well.  I was asking for help from fellow modellers on how to overcome a temporary condition that I normally would not have an issue with.   On they other hand, you admit yourself that you do not read the start of the topic so any response is bound to be irrelevant and unhelpful.  I asked a genuine question, a request for help, and therefore feel justified at being curt when I get responses like these.

Mike

• Like 2

C'mon guys, Mike is in considerable pain at the moment from his heart surgery, so baiting him for being understandably cranky isn't going to do anyone any good.  :fraidnot:

Warm milliput is definitely easier to knead than cold, as I've found in past winters.  P'raps just putting it in your trouser pocket for half an hour before you need it (knead it, geddit?) will soften it enough to make it easier to mash?  You could also try cutting it into small pieces and jumbling them up to mix it, then squash it between thumb & forefingers.  I'm trying this out as I type, to see if it involves chest muscles, and as long as you don't squeeze too hard, it doesn't seem to get them involved.

I'm not in any pain Mike, hence trying to get back into doing a bit of modelling, but I would be if I tried to mix up some Milliput in the normal way.  Baiting isn't normally a problem because, after the usual silly comments, people would offer the sensible advice being asked.  As Laurie says "have a little smile".....  then go at the kit with a hammer! :devil:

I'm going to go with wet and warm.  Ooh er Missus! :blush:

• Like 3