BMW R100RS

Ozmac

Now here's a novel experience, I am going to build a model of a bike I crashed! A lovely BMWR100RS, a truly great Beemer.

sPbKaM.jpg

A friend dropped by this morning with this old 1981 kit found during a cleanup, and as I am the only active model builder he knows, he decided it was to be mine. Very kind.

By coincidence, it was a bike I not only crashed but thoroughly wrote off. I also partially wrote myself off at the time, breaking a collarbone in three places, dislocating a shoulder and taking numerous strips of bark off my legs in particular. Ouch! If you think that is bad, the bike was on loan to me, too. Wasn't even mine. The good news is that it was fully insured, I was working for a bike magazine at the time as a road-tester and that "these things sometimes happen" said the managing editor, who was also dealing with a far more expensive crashed Lamborghini on the same weekend.

As for the kit, I am sure the decals will be beyond help, but I can scan them and make replacements, but the rest of the kit is in nice order. Don't expect any updates any time soon, but I thought I'd start the thread to mark the day I got the kit.

• Like 3

I had a 77 R100RS that I loved. Took it down the Pacific coast 101 highway from Wpg Can to California and then out to Montreal (this was all ages ago, of course). Awesome sport touring bike.

• Like 1

Fortunately for me, despite crashing the test bike (I hit a big pothole on a dirt road, at fairly high speed), BMW let me have another R100RS about a year later. With a fellow tester we took the BMW along with a Honda six-cylinder CBX Pro-Link on a 3000km comparison test ride, and the BMW won hands down. With that combination of the full coverage fairing plus the very sporty handlebar layout, the BMW just begged you to ride it fast, for hours and hours. A real Autobahn bike.

It'll be a pleasure to build this model, as I am sure it'll bring back quite a few more memories.

Edited by Ozmac