Wingnut Wings 1/32 Hansa Brandenburg W29

Hello everybody,

This is report of something that I've been working on that I've been putting the WW1 Forum - and realised that I've not put it in here yet!

I figured it was time that I shared the work I've been doing on the Wingnut Wings W29. So starting off, the usual bit of background: this is my first serious WW1 aircraft kit - and indeed, my first WNW kit. I love Wingnut Wings kits (as do most on here I guess!) and I've managed to collect them all over the course of the last 5 years or so - although I'm still missing a Duallist boxing or two, this kit comes from the Duallist box that includes the W29 and the Early Felixstowe. Despite my model making friends egging me on to try the Felixstowe (yeah, right?!), this kit almost fell into my hands. I already have the separate W29 and it made a lot of sense for me to start making these kits by doing one that I have a duplicate of. As you can expect, it has been a learning curve and I'm still learning a lot. So please... please... please! Help me. Any help, criticism, pointers, discussion items, if I've done it wrong or whatever, please tell me. I must stress that I'm on a very steep learning curve and I'm constantly looking to improve the look of parts and sub assemblies.

Anyway, with that done... I'll post the photos and a brief description. As I said, I'm not so much looking for perfection on this build - good enough will do!

So...

I started this build by assembling the engine. It's painted in Alclad Aluminium primarily, with Tamiya flat black cylinders and various details painted in Steel. I've not gone to town on the scratchbuilding on this - I added the wiring retainer and various bits of wire to bring the engine to life a bit more. The chances are that I'll probably end up having the cowling removable on one side only. Weathered using various powders, and washes. When I thought I'd done a bit too much, I simply resprayed a very low pressure alclad over the top, which made a nice thin line, and muted down the weathering

IMG_9350c4857.md.jpg

I then started work on the cockpit area. The wood effect is the usual Tamiya Deck Tan sprayed down first and then Artists oils applied over the top. I noted from various other builds that the wood in the cockpit area of the W29 was a beautiful mahogany style colour, so to achieve this, I used Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna colours. I randomly applied them in "splodges" (technical term!) and then using a sponge, dragged it out and blended it. When it was blended, I attacked it with the old flat brush and dragged to get the grain effect. Personally, I'm happy with the result of this. I didn't use any Clear Orange or Yellow and simply sprayed Alclad Semi-Matt varnish on top, to seal in the work. The Fuel Tank and seats were painted with Gunze and Tamiya paints. Weathering was the same as the engine - I initially always do too much, and then mute it back with a thin layer of paint:

IMG_9387.md.jpg

The cockpit area was built up pretty quickly once the artists oils had dried:

50481733918__2A8A5DFF-FFC5-400F-BF22-298

IMG_9468ff5ff.md.jpg

I then zipped it up and did some dry fitting just to see how it looks:

IMG_94993c4da.md.jpg

IMG_9501884e2.md.jpg

Although this isn't as high tech as some rigging that I've seen on the website, I decided to opt for a simple rigging inside the cockpit. This is simply just monofilament fishing line with a thin piece of Brass tube attached. I also made a little snip in the side of the boxes to run the cables through and also created a slot on the top line to feed the cable through.

IMG_95005f083.md.jpg

A bit more dry fitting and the cockpit combings were added and sanded down. Now this was one area when I found the fit to be a little snug. It's probably due to the paint layers building up, and after a bit of sanding and resanding, I finally got these into the correct place and glued in. A small dab of filler was needed - although I am sure that this is my doing and not the kit!

IMG_9546.md.jpg

Then I glued on the tailplane - and dry fitted the top of the wings, just to get an idea of the size! I couldn't help myself...

IMG_9553fbf66.md.jpg

And that's where I'm up to now... Really enjoying this build, it's interesting, different and challenging. Everything that a good build should be.

Thanks for reading!!

Chris

Edited by Chris Jephcott
  • Like 6

So... a quick further update now as to where I am. Apologies again - the photos aren't the best quality, but I will address this in the future!

I've been busy painting the W29. The paints I've been using so far are mainly Gunze - 307 and 308, which give a nice glossy texture and a very gentle bluish tinge, and Tamiya XF83 - which is what the instructions actually call for. Between the three colours here, I've been able to mix and change around a bit, and added a very subtle post shade, in order to make it look a little bit more realistic:

IMG_9561.md.jpg

I then added the Hexagonal decals around the tail and rear fuselage. These generally went on very well, a small application of microsol and a trim down using a new Swann-Morton blade as required though in order to make them conform to the shape of the tailplane:

IMG_9595.md.jpg

IMG_9599.md.jpg

A brief play about with some weathering powder, and this is how it's ended up:

IMG_9596.md.jpg

IMG_9594.md.jpg

IMG_9598.md.jpg

The wings are in fact still dry fitted at the moment, and I know that the powder looks a little heavy as it stands - I'll be muting this down tomorrow if I get 10 mins in the man cave, then hopefully applying the rest of the fuselage markings. Then a gloss coat to seal in the work, and then onto various finishing techniques, including making the combings and cowling gloss.

Coming next will be the cowling, the wings and rudder. But as again, I'm really enjoying building this kit... It's a cut above anything I've ever tried to make before!

Thanks for looking,

Chris

• Like 7

Thanks Duncan - I'm not sure if liking your post constitutes a thanks or if not, so I might as well write it.

The resolution on the picture of the engine isn't great - it does look better in real life, but thank you for your kind comments!!

Chris

Edited by Chris Jephcott

Wow!  Lovely start.  I have a couple of WnW kits in my stash (Tripe-hound & RNAS Pup), and no doubt in due course I will succumb and get a Ship's Camel.  I have yet to build one, but every time I see one built they look amazing.

You have certainly got my attention!

• Like 1

Right, you've thrown the gauntlet down with that one Chris! Beautiful work and that engine is just the dog's doo dahs!

I really do love that naval grey/blue with the lighter, almost pastel shades on the lozenge camouflage and isn't it a shame to hide all that lovely woodwork in the fuselage?!

I'm raising my Leffe to you as I type!

:cheers:

• Like 1

Just caught up with this one Chris, your work so far is superb congratulations. :clap2:

It can't be many people who have this kit as a spare !

As for having all of the WNW kits, I envy your storage, it must be handy having you own hanger.   :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

thank you you very much. As my first Wingnut kit, I'm really enjoying building it. My impressions are on a par with the top models out there... and more importantly, it's very enjoyable to build.

The tolerances are rigidly tight and even the smallest bit of paint creates a joining nightmare!

anyway, not sure how much more I'll get done on this today. I've just microsol'd (is that even a verb?) the decals to get them to sit tighter in and now it's time to wait for a bit!!!

I wouldn't say it's a hangar - more like a spatially unaware room with hundreds of kits littered around!!!! 

Chris

Edited by Chris Jephcott

Great start Chris, the engine and interior look lovely. Like Mark I really loke that lozenge camo, this is going to look great when finished.

Now the bug has biiten, I bet you always have a Wingnuts project on your workbench, even when building other stuff.

I'll be looking out for more post on this one!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, John and Pheonix, thank you very much for your comments. I suspect you're quite right John, I've bitten the bug to a large scale now and am really enjoying this build!!

It's been a good few days since I posted anything on here, however, work has been progressing. I've spent the last week really doing jobs around the house, but in my spare time I've managed to get the underside of the wings completed. So, here's a little bit more detail as to how I've done it.

First of all, I paint the wing in Gunze Randome. It's a nice neutral colour, not a million miles off a linen type shade. I got for a rough coat here, because a lot more detail will be added in the next stages:

IMG_9686.md.jpg

When this is dry, I do a thin coat of Gunze Sail colour in a random pattern in order to add a shading effect into the mix already:

IMG_9689.md.jpg

I then mask off the ribs with various widths of Tamiya masking tape, in order prevent any form of overspray:

IMG_9691.md.jpg

Then I sprayed this with a thinned layer of Gunze off-white. This is how it turns out with the masking tape removed:

IMG_9693.md.jpg

I then use Humbrol weathering powder along each rib. This is intentionally a bit too heavy:

IMG_9695.md.jpg

IMG_9698.md.jpg

Then an overspray of very thinned Randome (50/50 mix) and a very small touching up of the ribs with a subtle hint more of powder and this is how it ends up:

IMG_9745.md.jpg

What I like about this technique is that when it's viewed from a distance, the ribs are very subtle - however, as you get closer, the whiter shade of the ribs are visible as shown by this distance shot against a close up of the elevators:

IMG_9746.md.jpg

IMG_9702.md.jpg

Anyway, that's all for now... please pass any criticism and comments - this is really the first time I've done this, so any feedback is very much appreciated!

Chris

• Like 6

Thank you very much everyone, I've sprayed on a gloss coat and left them alone now.

sadly it's an early start for me tomorrow as I'm in for a day at work, but might get some decals put on later this week! 

Also will need to weather the fuselage a little bit too before I can attach the wings on. 

Thanks for for your comments everybody!

Chris

Shading technique on the wings noted! I think I'll give that a go myself. The tonal variations look fantastic, thats a really good idea you have come up with Chris.

Looking forward to more progress, there can't be too much more to do now.

Cheers

john