Cylon

Hello. I am new to modelling - apart form having done the odd Airfix model (and not very well) when I was a kid...quite a few years ago! (1970's!)
I thought I'd start with a Cylon as i loved Battlestar Galactica when I was a kid too.....and my significant other has been know to call me a cylon! Outragous!!
I've never really done any painting of models before, so this was new and fun for me! I thought I'd go for the 'used' look. I know the colours are not true but I liked the idea of the baddies being darker in colour. I will probably do a  pristine one too at some point!

I'd like some critiques, but I can attach them....am I being thick?  :mellow:

Edited by Poodles
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Poodles said:

Hi Poodles and welcome to BM.

Great job on the Cylon, although it took a while to find your pics. Have a look at Mechanised Dwarf's link to posting pics. Then they will show up on the page without having to go to photobucket  to see them.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind comments!
I have had a look at the advice for posting pics and ill try again! lol ....Seems more successful this time :)

Yeah I thought I'd go for the worn out and "Jeez its been a hard day!" look, cos Ive been reading about dry brushing and haven't done this before. I tried to think about where he would show wear and tear, then just went for it! It was terrifying on a befall black smooth surface, but Im quite pleased with the outcome! :D 

I only did a slight bit of adaptation to the model - i don't know if it was me, but his right arm shoulder joint was the wrong way round!...May well be me i guess, but it didn't fit the right way. So I had to chop some bits out for that and one other section I had to adapt to fit, but mostly it went together quite well. His skull top doesn't quite fit his head as can be seen from the first pic, but i figured ah well....its part of his damage too!! :lol:

Anyone know what the square on his front right chest is for?

IMG_1992.jpg 

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg 

IMG_1995.jpg 

IMG_1991.jpg 

IMG_1990.jpg 

IMG_1996.jpg 

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg \

• Like 5

Pretty big fellow :D BSG was a good show, especially the first two series which was just non stop tension and drama, loved it. These Cylons were quite intimidating but I admit I like the old ones better, Disco Cylons as a mate of mine calls them :) I think they actually did show up in the last few episodes which was a nice treat.

Anyway love the worn out look, probably those smug human-cylons making him do all the heavy lifting!

awesome cat too!

• Like 1

That's a lot bigger than I first thought :blink:  Nice job of conveying a hard-working, battle-scarred Cylon.  Away from the norm without being too jarring :)

• Like 1

Poodle, I can't believe that is dry brushing - looked to me like you had been using the hairspray technique. Very impressive. 

You are like me a 1970's out of the box airfix builder that has returned to the hobby and is just learning the tricks of he trade. I have dry brushed and washed but not used salt or hairspray chipping yet. 

Must say your Cylon looks terrific and he is HUGE!

• Like 2

OK poodle - you asked for a critique so here it comes... Stop model building now! Someone who 'has never painted a model before' has no right, no right at all, to produce work this good! It is an insult to old fuddys like me who have been doing this for fourty years and still can't do half as well!  It's an outrage!😩

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments....

He is a big boy! ooo eeeerrrrr! Nice size to work with though. The surface was nice to paint, which I would imagine makes a big difference?

I must have missed the greeble...oops!

I also like the older cylons - do they do models of those too?

I've never heard of the washed, hairspray or salt techniques.....something else to look at!

I'm so sorry I have upset your Reconciler......I will cease and desist immediately  :(    :P

Edited by Poodles
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Poodles said:

Thank you all for your comments....

He is a big boy! ooo eeeerrrrr! Nice size to work with though. The surface was nice to paint, which I would imagine makes a big difference?

I must have missed the greeble...oops!

I also like the older cylons - do they do models of those too?

I've never heard of the washed, hairspray or salt techniques.....something else to look at!

I'm so sorry I have upset your Reconciler......I will cease and desist immediately  :(    :P

Really impressive - personally, I think the missing greeble adds to the "hard day" look (I'm always making mistakes and trying to justify them)

• Like 1

There are loads of videos on YouTube about hairspray chipping and salt chipping (looks really clever and I'm itching to try it), washes are are also covered on there - I've played with citadel nuln oil wash and made my own from Vallejo acrylics with varying degrees of success (my R2D2 WIP chronicles my problems), I'm going to get a set of Ultimate Weathering Washes or the Flory Wash equivalents to play with next as they can be completely removed with warm water and I like the idea of that safety net. 

• Like 1

You promised me you would stop building but no... now it's all 'research into salt weathering and hairspray'...

You'll probably get good at that stuff also won't you, eh!

I'm off to find a dark corner somewhere where I can curl-up, dribble and mutter to myself. 😩

I should have taken up embroidery. 

• Like 1

The model looks very convincing, the weathered look . I also liked the cat in the last picture.

Very good work as fist attempt, could you describe the technique and materials: undercoats, sprays, weathering technique? 

I have had mixed results attempting to do this. 

2 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

You promised me you would stop building but no... now it's all 'research into salt weathering and hairspray'...

You'll probably get good at that stuff also won't you, eh!

I'm off to find a dark corner somewhere where I can curl-up, dribble and mutter to myself. 😩

I should have taken up embroidery. 

sorry sorry sorry I did you're right.....Ill stop immediately  :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldmodeler said:

The model looks very convincing, the weathered look . I also liked the cat in the last picture.

Very good work as fist attempt, could you describe the technique and materials: undercoats, sprays, weathering technique? 

I have had mixed results attempting to do this. 

thank you *blush*

Ill be completely honest.....

1. I brush painted the parts inside and out with black semi matt (revell 302 i think it is) - no primer or anything use about 2 tins! made sure it was a good coverage

2. I got silver revell (number 90) and a tatty kids type paint brush type brush -  not a refined with a pointed tip - flat tipped, slightly knackered looking and slightly splayed bristles

3. Dunked the brush in the paint, blotted most of the paint off on some kitchen roll

4. Made sure there wasn't too much paint on the brush by wiping it on my hand - gives very light silver marks (looks cool on the skin too!)

5. Gently brushed the silver on started at edges to give more wear look there, then brushed elsewhere

6. Repeat from 2 as many times as I wanted

Obviously some bits are painted in gold (like round his guts) before the silver application. 

It's handy to be gentle, cos any raised bits (like edges or detail on the gun, hands etc) pick up the silver but the depressed sections (no...not you Reconciler!) don't, they stay black. I left the majority of the 'internal' sections black cos they wouldn't get so much wear (being inside). then its about thinking - where on his body will he wear most...do those bit more. 

That's it no secret or strange method...really really easy to be honest! 

I assume the reverse is also possible - paint with silver then weather with black to give a distressed plastic look? maybe Ill try that....NO NO NO, I must stop! SORRY Reconciler  :thanks:

PS the cat is Ozzy, one of our 3 bengals...he's lovely :clap2:

Edited by Poodles

Thanks for the info (especially the cats - I've got 2 Siamese; Gandalf and Jasmin). 

Your description f dry brushing is exactly how I guess it is done - I did edges that I felt would wear and manually painted chips in a similar fashion. Your looks good. 

1 hour ago, Poodles said:

sorry sorry sorry I did you're right.....Ill stop immediately  :D

I don't believe you any more.  Just go on then and carry on building and hair spraying and what-have-you. I'll just lurk in the shadows and pretend I'm not watching.😕

• Like 1