little conversion: Nakajima J1N1-S Irving/ Gekko early Version mit FD-1/ H6 Radar (Tamiya)

BOBO

My latest kit model Ki-84 is not finished yet, but I'm already building a new model.

Since many times I'm interesting on Nippon WWII Figthers. And also to on night fighters of all airforces. My kit collection has all three Tamiya-Kis from J1N1-S (early ans late versions) Nice parts are in the boxes. But I must building a slightly modified model.

In my handbibliothek I have found some interesting foto copies. I the first moment I can't identified these. A US-GI was standing in front of a Nippon night fighter with his inch rule. Well, it was not so interesting, but I ask me, what is this for a equipment. Many wire you can see. So I must read the text in my books. My English ist better for a computer as for understanding of technical document text. And then I have a understand what it is. In october 1943 a new 321th Kokutai(Air Group) was established in Tinian. These received 18 new J1N1-S in early version with special radar equipment - a H6 radar. And only these Kokutai has flown these early special version.

Tamiya has three kit types, but onyl one I can used for my new project.

Gekko_00.jpg

best sources for my modell!

Literatur.jpg

J1N1_H6Radar_1.jpg

J1N1_H6Radar_3.jpg

J1N1_H6Radar_2.jpgJ1N1_S_Gekko_321_kukutai_21_75_Tinian194

J1N1_H6Radar.jpg

This picture in interesting. it is a second foto from a other J1N1-S (number is unknown !)

On the left wing side you can see a wire, this is a remains of antenna wire (only left side)

This here is all what I have found for a good model aof early special version of J1N1-S. And now, my building instructions with some interesting surprizes!

• Like 4

I was surprised, the model is very large. It is greater as Bf 110 and has the same size as a Ju 88 -WOW

47182_0.jpg

All Tamiya-parts very good fitting. I have in my collection a engine set from CMK - very expansivly (only 39,95 € :angrysoapbox.sml:).

But I think the real money value is only 9,95€

It is absolutly bullsh....! But I will show here these poor quality and fit and what you can make better!

Gekko_01.jpg

Only the cockpit parts in progress!

Gekko_01a.jpg

Gekko_02.jpg

My own wing fuel tank is made with two plastiksheets, plastic spacers on all 4 corners and everything wrapped with pulp

Gekko_03.jpg

only the wing is make sticky

Gekko_05.jpg

And now - the nice CMK surprize! I do my best for a realistic engine with two engine rings. You must modified some Tamiya-parts and then fitted CMK parts on the engine place. I'not understand, why these conversion set is absolutly bullsh. At first No engine piston does not fit, all parts to great and to be rough! The ring of cooler lobes to little - well - absolutly to little. So I have modified the Tamya parts!

And then - the gearing parts from CMK to long - or better - longer as Tamiya parts :rant:

Gekko_06.jpg

Gekko_07.jpg

So I have make my correction! And all is good with my nice female neighbor

Gekko_09.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 4

Gekko_13.jpg

Gekko_13a.jpg

Gekko_14.jpg

Gekko_16.jpg

left: CMK with Tamiya parts

right: original Tamiya parts

Gekko_18a.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 1

Fuselage antenna wire was made with copper wire, small self made plastic tube and cyanoacrylate

Gekko_22.jpg

Gekko_22b.jpg

• Like 1

Wow!

That is really cool!!

I've seen the Tamiya Irving built up in person, and its a very, very nice kit.

I am really digging those antennas. I didn't know the fuselage skin played a part in how the apparatus worked......

-d-

wedding :clap2:

and the bug antenna is alo too ready (left wing!)

Gekko_24c.jpg

Edited by BOBO

My model is standing on own feets now. The canopy is absolutly very well fitting -WOW

Same little parts for main wheels are ready colored, also too the axilary tanks.

Gekko_25a.jpg

Gekko_25b.jpg

Gekko_25d.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

The fujimi kit is supposed to be quite nice and there was some nice after market if memory serves??!

Rob

I've got a few of each, Fujimi, Revell/Takara. I was contemplating bashing the two to make one where I'd be happy with it. 

• Like 1

On 24.1.2017 at 7:02 PM, modelglue said:

Very nice. I wish a model of this magnitude existed in 1/72!

Thanks guys for your replys :clap2:At the moment I am quite sick, an influenza prevents me from building. Next week more!

with some litte modification I think these kit is a good basic:

122518-11185-pristine.jpg

And also to I know this type from Revel (1972)

137536-11185-pristine.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, after a long wait now I have make my next color work. The sun is shining and I have a good feeling today.

In the morning I have prepared the canopy parts and now the complete kit with first navy green (one picture in sun shin and one in flash ligth)

Gekko_27a.jpg

Gekko_27bb.jpg

Gekko_27c.jpg

Gekko_28a.jpg

Gekko_28c.jpg

Gekko_28b.jpg

Gekko_28d.jpg

• Like 2