And now for something completely different............:huh:

I usually post mostly vehicles on the forums (with added lighting, etc) but I decided to go for something different this time. My eldest daughter kept pestering about doing this pirate ship and so, for a quiet life, I went with it.

I've done a couple of galleon builds before but I was suprised at the size of this beast and the complexity of the rigging. Always up for a challenge I looked at how the rear 3 lamps could be lit and maybe also the insides. Rather than go for bright lighting I am going to go for a dull flickering effect so as to give the effect of cold drafty lower decks.

Well, less chat and on to the build........

Firstly, the Big Box.......Compared to my size 10 boot at the bottom.

Pirate01

Work station ready with the tea supply. A lot of kit and surprised at Revell supplying actual plastic sails. They look quite good actually.

Pirate02

Pirate03

Starting with the decks and end panels. Not going for a weathered look with this one

Pirate05

Picking out the fittings details

Pirate06

Canons built. There's a lot.

Pirate08

Pirate07

Assembled, painted and awaiting action.

Pirate09

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 15

I like the way the decks go together before inserting them into the hull. Preparing for the lighting by adding foil to reflect the lighting.

Pirate10

Pirate11

As they are not to be seen, I just knocked up some LED holders on the quick.

Pirate12

Cannons on the lower deck fitted.

Pirate14

Side panels on, so nice that they fit perfectly. Well done to Revell.

Pirate15

Pirate16

The rear panel will be the last to be fitted as that will give me access to the lower hull to store the wiring, etc.

Pirate17

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 8

When it's time for the rigging, start from the inside and work outwards. For a very good example check out Foxy and his HMS Victory and HMS Bella threads! They'll help make a lot of if much clearer.

On 21/01/2017 at 5:15 PM, Jockster said:

When it's time for the rigging, start from the inside and work outwards. For a very good example check out Foxy and his HMS Victory and HMS Bella threads! They'll help make a lot of if much clearer.

Thanks Jock, I will do that.

Going by the instructions it looks like trying to find your way around London with a paper street map (have done that so I should stand a chance getting it close)

On 21/01/2017 at 5:39 PM, Canadian Pirate said:

Looking good. I'll have to add one of these to my own armada.

I think it would be worth it as the detail is very good, especially if you wanted to add weathering to the kit. So far everything fits perfectly so should not be much use for filling.

After a lot of spraying and preparation it's finally coming together.

The saucy ladies are painted and just need touching up in a few places (nothing rude intended) and the figurines for the aft are done.

Pirate18

Pirate20

Pirate22

There is a lot of nice textures in the detailing and quite a lot of detail to pick out.

Pirate23

Nice'n'clean.......no strings attached yet.

Pirate25

Lifeboat and accessories in place. Strange how it is not roped down to the deck........

Pirate26

Pirate27

Canon fittings applied. Noticed one mistake to rectify. Not clear in the instructions but have just found a more detailed picture on the Internet.

Pirate28

Decided to fix the lifeboat to the deck as I have seen on other ships.

Pirate30

White swan fixed in place now. Nicely detailed. Another plus for Revell. The masts are drying in the background. Looking forward to fitting those.

Pirate33

Pirate34

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Jockster said:

Fast work especially with the good paintwork. Nice!

Thanks Jock. I found that it is one of those builds where you spend days and days preparing, spraying, etc, all of the pieces and then suddenly the hull, decks, side panels, etc, are put together in no time. Sometimes i find it frustrating that you don't seem to have anything to show for it but as soon as you start building, the pleasure comes back and everything takes shape. I don't know if others feel like that?

• Like 1

Now onto the shrouds. It may only be me, but I liked the way Revell have done these. Though they may be over-scale, they are sturdy and allow for some good detail to be painted.

Pirate35

Managed to get the masts in place. At last, it's looking like a proper ship. I was thinking about rubbing them down and adding real rope (as I've done before) around the masts but after painting a few, I could not see any real benefit and decided to paint the detail already on them.

While talking about the masts, I accidently mixed the parts up when spraying them but I think I have sorted them out into the correct heights, etc. Time will tell.

Pirate36

I like the way the blocks are seperate from the shrouds and are assembled so that they 'swing'. When you fit the shrouds to the masts, the blocks move so that you can align them properly before actuall fixing them permanently.

Pirate37

The main shrouds fitted and some of the blocks are in place.

Pirate39

At last. The beginning of the rigging. Seems like a lot of detail is within the instructions so fingers crossed.

Pirate40

Pirate40

Pirate42

The next step will be the sails and the rigging. The sails are painted and drying and I've plenty of cotton/thread from previous builds, so I won't have to worry about running out of that. Looking at the instructions it looks daunting but appears organised in the instructions. It seems you start at the front and move backwards and as Jockster advised, I will bear in mind about working from the inside out.

After spending about a week spraying everything and getting everything ready, I cannot believe how quick it all went together. So far only a few joints need touching up as the side panels overlap. So much better than just having the whole side as a one-piece with the hull.

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 5

I've had a busy couple of days and things are moving on nicely.

I thought it was time to get the rear lamps fitted and test the lighting as well as some of the rear cosmetics.

Pirate42a

I think I got the right luminance for what I was trying to achieve.

Pirate42b

Some touching up to do but it seems ok so far.

Pirate42c

Pirate42d

Nice glow to the inner cabin. The lights actually flicker to give the effect of a drafty ship

Pirate42e

The rear panel is now fixed as the lighting works ok.

Pirate42f

Light just visible on the lower decks

Pirate42g

Front sails and rigging sorted. Not many problems so far.

Pirate42h

Pirate44

I like the way the instructions work from the front to the rear with the rigging.

Pirate45

I have decided to have all of the sails the same colour and not do two of the sails in a rust colour. It may not be realistic but is a personal choice.

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 4

On 28/01/2017 at 2:36 AM, Jesse1 said:

Drooling all over my desk here :lol:... Would love to see how you did the lighting arrangement.

Jesse

Well Jessie, it's a good kit to build. So much so that I'd like to do the Cutty Sark. Alas, space is the problem. I've already convinced my wife to move all of her ornaments from our large sideboard so that I have somewhere to put this kit when it's finished. I suppose over 30 years or marriage made that possible.........ha! ha!

Anyway, I've knocked up a brief diagram on how I did the lighting. The internal lighting was quite easy as it is out of sight (providing you place it out of view). The main thing was to stick foil to the ceilings and walls to reflect the lights evenly. As for the 3 large lights at the rear, it was just a matter of replacing certain parts with small tubing to hide the wires. They will not be very prominent when painted in with the rest of the ship and only protude about 10mm above the rear end. The wiring can easily be hidden along the side walls but it is important to drill holes before fixing everything, to route the wire. All of the wiring and resistors are hidden within the lower hull (I left the end panel until everything was tested and working) so all I have is 2 tiny wires coming out from the far side to the stand, where 2 AA batteries can be stored. I hope this is easy to understand.

Wiring

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures

12 hours ago, Stu_davros said:

This is looking great, I'm surprised no one has done the faux pirate talk yet though (arrrr that i be).

Excuse me, I don't knows what come over me then.

Cheers,

Stuart

Ahoy Matie! Shiver me timbers Stu.

I don't know what it is, but there is just something about pirates that makes you want to get into character and hop around on one leg. Problem is I keep falling over...........That may be due to the rum though......Yo Ho Ho!

Anyway, time to 'Weigh anchor and hoist the mizzen'  keeping a 'Weather eye open matey'