1/48 Republic RF-84F Thunderflash

Hello,

Here's my just finished 1/48 RF-84F. It's the Tanmodel kit, and I used Caracal Decals to do it as one from the 38th TRS, 10th TRW, based at Spangdahlem AB in West Germany between 1955 and 1958. This is part of a little project of mine to build all the different planes and units that were based at Spangdahlem at some point. This is the 5th build for that, after an F-4G, A-10A, F-15C and F-105F.

The Tanmodel kit is a lovely model, in my opinion. The panel lines and rivets are a bit deep, and a little inconsistent, and the camera assembly in the nose is a bit tricky to build, but overal it builds up very nice. The decals are a mix of the kit ones, Caracal and the USAF decals on the wings come from an Eagle Strike F-102 sheet. It was painted with Vallejo Metal Color.

P1155413_zpsngbthfwo.jpg

P1155414_zpsx2wastf1.jpg

P1155415_zpsahozyjlh.jpg

P1155416_zpsjljan4xv.jpg

P1155417_zps3atce4f4.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pete

• Like 36

The most interesting looking variant of all of the F-84 series.  A very clean build.  Looks really good and I like the squadron markings and colors.  I really want to do one of these and skin it with foil, but I feel like I need to finish some other things and reduce the stash before adding another kit to the accumulation.  But...  I think I ought to buy one before it becomes another out of production kit that can only be bought from some scalper on ebay for a gazillion dollars.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the nice comments!

50 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

How are thes Vallejo metal colours ? Better than Alclad? 

Andy 

Andy, they work pretty much the same. You still need a glossy dark base before using them. One bottle of it goes a long way, and the best thing is they don't smell much at all, unlike Alclad. It's also pretty durable stuff, you can handle the model all you want, after a short drying time. I love it.

• Like 1

On 15.1.2017 at 9:08 PM, Creepy Pete said:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the nice comments!

Andy, they work pretty much the same. You still need a glossy dark base before using them. One bottle of it goes a long way, and the best thing is they don't smell much at all, unlike Alclad. It's also pretty durable stuff, you can handle the model all you want, after a short drying time. I love it.

Good to hear that! THX for this Information. 

All the best 

Andy 

Hello Pete,

Job well done. The color scheme goes well with the model.

Regards, Orion/The Netherlands.

Hello Pete,

That is top-notch modelling !

Very very nice NMF in combination with that cool blue-red scheme. Up until now i thougt NMF birds were a litte boring as they come out  looking pretty much the same, but you made this one stand out from the crowd ! wish I could achieve this Kind of NMF on my airliner....

Regards,

Olli