The Pacific at War GB Chat

trickyrich

28 minutes ago, Beard said:

Thanks Alan, that's a very comprehensive reply which, of course, raises further questions.

1) Am I correct in assuming that the NZ Sea Blue Grey painted over the Neutral Grey?

2) by 'Green', do you mean NZ Pacific Green or RAF Dark Green? (Or, indeed, some other green?)

1) No, the NZ Sea Blue Grey was part of the upper camouflage only, for example on the Hudson's it

was painted over the Dark Earth - on the P40K, if they arrived in OD/NG scheme, then the NZ Sea Blue Grey

was painted as additional disruptive camouflage.

The lower colour: if you look at photos of the likes of NZ3060 the lower colour paint (even in B/W photos) is much

lighter in comparison to the P40M's in same photo wearing Neutral Grey.

Since the Hudson's wore Sky/Duck Egg Blue (original paint), and P40E-1's were already wearing Sky/Duck Egg Blue

in theatre, it  (to me) makes sense that the K's would be re-painted in Sky/Duck Egg Blue, also hence the Scalloping

2) Again if the K's were in OD/NG, then the scheme would be OD/NZ Sea Blue Grey/Sky aka Duck Egg Blue.

When I stated a "Green" it could cover US Version of RAF Dark Green (Hudson), OD (P40K/M/N's), and then there were New Zealand

Greens - apparently one was close to matching Humbrol Brunswick Green:hmmm:

I have to further Delve into the NZ Pacific Green, but I don't believe it was on the K's

Hope that clarifies things for you? (or not:D)

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

Hope that clarifies things for you? (or not:D)

It does because I read OD/NG as the top-side colours!

I have some Humbrol PRU Blue and several Skys now I need to decide which Olive Drab to use.

O.K guys so I am kind of anxious to get started here so I thought that I would throw myself at the mercy of the buffs on here.My first choice would be to build the academy P38 Put Put Maru the problem is however that the history has this specific plane and its pilot(col Mac Donald) Island hopping and seems he was part of the Rabaul raids he was in Holandria etc etc famously also basically suspended when flying with Charles Lindberg who ended up "killing" a zero.

The markings is as on the boxart :

IMG-20181106-062925.jpg

If that one does not "fly" pun intended then I could also do a PBY 4 as they operated all over said theaters I also have a PBY 5 black cat but the last one I did well lets just say I got carried away and added more than 900 parts to the interior.

IMG-20181106-063303.jpg

Any help and inputs would be appreciated.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Rich. I'm just finishing one old Airfix kit and it looks like I have time to join in this great GB as a late starter, if that's OK? I've got an Airfix Douglas Devastator which I can finish as one of those on the USS Lexington at the Battle of the Coral Sea - I'm no expert on that theatre of operations but I think it meets the bill. Is it a green light for the Devastator? Thanks. Mike.

100_2800a

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

Hi Mike, I think that fits the bill perfectly.

I remember my brother built this model when I first came out, from memory it's a nice model, look forward to seeing her built.

• Thanks 1

Apologies everyone, I’ve been really quiet throughout this GB and the whole of BM in general. Those two four letter words ‘work’ and ‘life’ have taken a fair toll on my spare modelling time and on most occasions when I do have an extra moment am too tired to sit on the workbench in fear on mucking something up. 

Last time I looked at this GB gallery there was only two completed kits, now there’s a whole host of others (mainly built by Beard) but it’s starting to look like a really nice collection of equipment and schemes from this particular wartime theatre. Well done everyone.

Now one of my P-40’s has hit the paint stage so I I’ll update my thread when I’m happy to show it off. Still a bit to go and it’s those small fiddly bits in the end that seem to take me forever. 

Anyway, just wanting to apologise for my tardiness and I look forward to commenting more on everyone’s great builds from now on. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Beard said:

I like Ventura transfers but how reliable are the profiles?

Hi,

The Ventura Profiles are Ok as far as colour call outs for the airframes, but take NZ5255

(top profile) check out this Photo link and comments re the "55" on tail and what Ventura

have put down

NZ5255

Some info about NZ5416 "Tutae Wera" for you

NZ5416 Tutae Wera

The biggest issue unfortunately is that the RNZAF Pacific Roundels are the wrong color.

They should be this colour

c3641d32-039b-4ae9-9ca7-982e7f12e6a3.jpg

Hope that helps

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I have a yearning to make a RNZAF Corsair, the Academy F4U1 and plan to use these transfers:

VA7273.JPG?t=

I like Ventura transfers but how reliable are the profiles?

Turn down the lighting and they'll look the same as above :wink:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

The biggest issue unfortunately is that the RNZAF Pacific Roundels are the wrong color.

Thanks Alan, although it appears that my plans have been scuppered.

I note that you called-out the Special Hobby P-40N transfers as being the wrong colour too, is there any RNZAF roundel transfers that are the right colour?

3 minutes ago, Beard said:

Thanks Alan, although it appears that my plans have been scuppered.

I note that you called-out the Special Hobby P-40N transfers as being the wrong colour too, is there any RNZAF roundel transfers that are the right colour?

Ventura, have been producing newer RNZAF Pacific Roundel Decals with the "Correct " colours

as in this link below

Ventura Decals Correct colours

Depending on what version of a RNZAF Corsair you could cobble the new sheet with old

You could also try  looking at XtraDecals, they also did some RNZAF Corsairs, and the

colour (then) was pretty close

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

arrr sorry to interrupt everyones Christmas festivities....if you partake, or you holiday break......but you only have a few days left in this GB!!

There has been a fantastic turn out in the gallery and I know there are a few more to be added. So time for one final push to help clear the bench ready for the coming years modelling. So get to and let's fill the gallery!

• Like 3

My three are just getting their final matt coats, so they'll be on the gallery.

I did start an Aichi D3A1 Val which is also on the final furlong, but I neglected to start a build thread for it.  It's taking the mick a bit to do a whole build in one fell swoop, so I might post the Val in RFI.

• Like 1

Rich

Maybe you could stretch the deadline for a week to allow some of the close to finish projects get done. Considering the time of year and peoples commitments to families during this time.

Thanks to the gnomes, I personally don't need it, but it might help others get across the line. 

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 1

I looked at the photos I had taken of my Val build and realised that I hadn't taken enough during the later parts of the build to provide a valid build thread.

So, I'm just going to post some photos here instead.

This is the venerable Fujimi Aichi D3A1 "Val" kit in 1/72.

The model represents an Aichi D3A1 Model 11 of 5 Koku Sentai, Carrier Zuikaku at the Battle of the Coral Sea, 7 May 1942.  The pilot was Tamotsu Ema. This aircraft participated in the sinking of destroyer USS Sims DD-409 and oiler USS Neosho AO-23 and also damaged carrier USS Yorktown CV-5.  Ema survived the war.

A011.JPG

A012.JPG

A013.JPG

A014.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Rich

Maybe you could stretch the deadline for a week to allow some of the close to finish projects get done. Considering the time of year and peoples commitments to families during this time.

Thanks to the gnomes, I personally don't need it, but it might help others get across the line. 

hi Greg,

As much as I'd like to be Santa at this time of year I have to stick with the schedule unfortunately. It's just one of those unfortunate bit's of timing for a GB to end.

• Like 1

.... and that's all folks!! 

The last GB to finish this year has finally come to the close, I can almost her the sigh of relief from some. Form some of the builds I can see it wasn't the easiest of builds and often quite frustrating...I know I found it so at times.

We managed the get 42 builds into the galley, so well done everyone who made it, plus there were quite a few multiple builds as well. Beard I think takes the prize for the most prolific builder for this GB, I think he may have really enjoyed this GB.

To every one who just could make it in time for many reasons, thank you for coming along. It was great to see these builds and I do look forward to seeing them completed. You can either update them here or you can ask Enzo to move them to the WIP section.

all that's left for me to do is get a poll organised, I'll try and do it now, as tomorrow I'm off to work for 2 weeks. 

So thank you all who came and built and those who just came for a look, it was a nice GB to host and everyone made it easy for me so thank you..... and Happy New Modelling Year to you all.:party:

• Thanks 8