The Pacific at War GB Chat

trickyrich

If I complete my Zero in plenty of time, am I correct in thinking that HMS Belfast would also qualify for this GB? I've never built a warship so thought I'd give it a go; time and rules permitting.

1 hour ago, Dermo245 said:

@GREG DESTEC I think a Pearl Harbour Kate might be too soon and that it’s either from Coral Sea or Midway battles that aircraft, ships etc are valid...but the hosts will confirm..😐

Cheers Dermot,

Looks like the Kate may be my only option from those three. The other option in  the kit is a carrier based aircraft but I would have to check if it was a Coral Sea or Midway option 😕

On 10/7/2018 at 11:35 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Greg,

yeah Pearl Harbour is too early, but those aircraft were probably used in the two eligible carrier battles in the same schemes and markings or very similar. I suspect they'd be very similar, some quick research would confirm.

Same goes for the B-25's they were used in SEA theatre and by RAAF (not sure if the US used them in SEA). You'd need to check if the versions correct and find the right scheme. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hi Greg,

yeah Pearl Harbour is too early, but those aircraft were probably used in the two eligible carrier battles in the same schemes and markings or very similar. I suspect they'd be very similar, some quick research would confirm.

Same goes for the B-25's they were used in SEA theatre and by RAAF (not sure if the US used them in SEA). You'd need to check if the versions correct and find the right scheme. 

Thanks Rich,

Having read the guidelines more closely and looked on the net, I have a better idea of what would fit. The B_24 in the box top markings is probably out but the Kate and the F_4U look to be ok. I will do a bit more digging before diving in.

Cheers Greg 😁 

• Like 1

Hello Rich,

Ive been away from BM for some time due to very poor health. I thought that I had put myself down for this, but looking back, I simply popped up in April 2017 and more or less said;

“Crikey, what a good idea!”

which it is!

In a the to drawer at the side of my bed (the place I’ll be building the kit: the bed, not the drawer, I’ve tried building in there and it’s a bit cramped, can’t get my my bum in, plus no power supply and a bit dark), I have two 1/72 SBD Dauntless kits.

One Testors, one Airfix. Also a ridiculous amount of aftermarket for each one.

I would love to have a go with one for this GB.

I have no decals, my knowledge has waned a little. I wondered if I could ask you or throw it open to the BM hive mind; any suggestions on theatre and markings?

NZ flew them, would that count for the GB?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Rich,

Ive been away from BM for some time due to very poor health. I thought that I had put useless down for this, but looking back, I simply popped up in April 2017 and more or less said;

“Crikey, what a good idea!”

which it is!

In a the to drawer at the side of my bed (the place I’ll be building the kit: the bed, not the drawer, I’ve tried building in there and it’s a bit cramped, can’t get my my bum in, plus no power supply and a bit dark), I have two 1/72 SBD Dauntless kits.

One Testors, one Airfix. Also a ridiculous amount of aftermarket for each one.

I would love to have a go with one for this GB.

I have no decals, my knowledge has waned a little. I wondered if I could ask you or throw it open to the BM hive mind; any suggestions on theatre and markings?

NZ flew them, woukd that count for the GB?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Best regards

TonyT

To echo the words of many others...  It is great to see you back Tony - more power to your cereal bowl - It's Grreeeaaaat!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

it's great to have you back as well Tony, we have missed you around here.

RNZAF marking would be the most suitable for her, though if you have an early model (not sure which) you could do one that operated off the carriers during the Coral Sea and Midway battles, no one's doing anything for those yet.

Just be carful you don't loose a bomb in the bed......that could be painful and a wee bit embarrassing to explain! :D

Look after yourself, it's great to have you back with us and hopefully you can become more active as you are able.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@TonyTiger66 Welcome back!.

I have both those kits and the Testors kit comes with decals for an SBD-3 flown by Ensign Leppla during the Battle of the Coral Sea in May 1942. So that would be eligible.

Also, the latest boxing of the Airfix kit included decals for VB-6 which was involved in the Battle of Midway. A previous boxing also has Battle of Coral Sea markings for an aircraft off USS Hornet and a Kiwi bird. Scalemates website is your friend here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you should have some decals sorted fairly quickly Tony and as the others have mentioned - really great to see that smiling Tiger on BM once again. 

Welcome back, you've got many friends on here. Now I've just read a chapter in the Michael Vietch book "44 Days", which coincidently mentions the US 3rd BG / 8th BS brief campaign with A-24 Banshee's. That might also be a possibility for something a little different. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thank you chaps. 

I can’t  remember how to do the multi quote and reply; I’ll figure it out shortly.

You’ve suggested some great options  😊.

The Kits are loose, just bagged kits that I bought very cheaply on that auction site years ago.  No transfers, but they’re complete.

At the time I couldn’t afford the greater expense of the Hasegawa, plus the Hasegawa kits were hard to find.

My approach was to adopt an ‘instalment plan’ 😄.

💰️ 💰💰👀 

Buy the bargain kits (they both look good enough in basic shape), then over a period of months, gradually buy after market accessories to try to make them a little more special.

The dive brakes by Eduard are for the Hasegawa kit, it will be interesting to see if they (and everything else!) fit. I may have to get my oxy-acetylene rig on the job 👨‍⚖️!

Thanks again everyone, good to be back amongst friends and have a project In mind 😊.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

I don't know if it's me Tony but your image at the bottom of your posts isn't showing up.

I like your "instalment" plan for AM bits, though if you invest enough you'll end up throwing away the original model! :D

They should fit ok, maybe with just a wee bit of torch work!

We're all glad to have you back and are more than happy to help or give you grief! :D We're all one big happy family of odd balls here! :fool:

Rich

As an alternative to my non kosher Willow, soon to be removed from the GB.

Can I replace it with a Frog Vultee Vengeance ?

The snag is the decals are U/S and as yet I can't find replacements, although I have the option of using some off a Havoc instead, thoughts oh wise and merciful one  :kissing2:

cheers Pat

25 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Rich

As an alternative to my non kosher Willow, soon to be removed from the GB.

Can I replace it with a Frog Vultee Vengeance ?

The snag is the decals are U/S and as yet I can't find replacements, although I have the option of using some off a Havoc instead, thoughts oh wise and merciful one  :kissing2:

cheers Pat

I’m afraid I can’t help with any Vengeance decals Pat, however the original Frog kit came with RAAF decals and they seem to be quite easily obtainable on the ‘Bay’ and elsewhere. They’re also bound to be someone via the wants section who’ll have a spare set? 

Anyway - just a thought. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m afraid I can’t help with any Vengeance decals Pat, however the original Frog kit came with RAAF decals and they seem to be quite easily obtainable on the ‘Bay’ and elsewhere. They’re also bound to be someone via the wants section who’ll have a spare set? 

Anyway - just a thought. 

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Dave

i have had a request on the wanted section for a while now without success. Hannants has sheet that Enzo put me onto. If all else fails I shall treat myself to that

cheers Pat

In a effort not to add to the already too big stash, I had a good rummage and found this;

IMG_4094

Their are actually 2 kits in the box, a military version and a rather snazzy silver and blue version that flew from Japan to London in record breaking time. Naturally I'll build the military one if it's appropriate to this GB, and likely sell the other one on BM as Im unlikely to build it. If anyone can point me in the direction of instructions for this kit I would be most appreciative.

Fingers crossed this ones Kosher !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1