The Pacific at War GB Chat

trickyrich

On 8/3/2018 at 8:29 AM, trickyrich said:

arr but it keeps us off the streets and keeps the model shop owners' kids fed and clothed....see we bring goodness to the world.

Hmm, good point, I really must go and buy a model today...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorting out my two builds for this 'Home theatre' GB as we speak. I'll be going on a book theme for my subject choices so will reveal all a little closer to the starting date. Must get through the classic Airfix GB first, so it could be another delayed GB start unless a miracle happens between now and then. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

Are Carrier aircraft only limited to the battle of midway and coral sea?  I've got a late Hellcat I wouldn't mind entering maybe.

Good afternoon Blitz23

You can always build your Hellcat in the Grumman Gb which start in October 20 ...

Cheers

Patrice

@trickyrich like you I have too many GB entries on the go, however I was looking for an excuse to build a long term stash resident in the shape of a Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-84 'Hayate' I had initially considered doing it for the proposed 'End of an empire' GB but would it be a valid entrant for this GB? it operated from the Battle of Leyte to home island defence .

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Blitz23

You can always build your Hellcat in the Grumman Gb which start in October 20 ...

Cheers

Patrice

I had originally thought that, but I have a Tigercat under 25% which I started a while ago which I'd quite like to get done for the Gruman GB as its a fantastic looking aircraft.

2 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

I had originally thought that, but I have a Tigercat under 25% which I started a while ago which I'd quite like to get done for the Gruman GB as its a fantastic looking aircraft.

Good evening

You know that you can build both of them it lasts 4 months ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

British East Indies Fleet?  Operating off SEA?

It's this kit Grey. I believe options are from the USS Essex, Lexington, the other 2 I can't remember off the top of my head. No worries if not I'll enter into the Grumman GB.

43546179165_81aacc167a_b.jpg

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Silly question for you Rich.

Is the Battle of Midway bit purely limited to aircraft from the carriers (and the carriers themselves) or are aircraft that were actually based at Midway acceptable? Not bothered either way but it would help eliminate stuff from the stash from the "potential builds" list.

not a silly one at all, if the end based unit participated during those days in the battle then they would be ok.

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

British East Indies Fleet?  Operating off SEA?

no they're fine, the carriers and aircraft that operated off them in that region are fine.

58 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

It's this kit Grey. I believe options are from the USS Essex, Lexington, the other 2 I can't remember off the top of my head. No worries if not I'll enter into the Grumman GB.

43546179165_81aacc167a_b.jpg

if you can find out if they were used in the Coral Sea battle she'll be fine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarkSH said:

@trickyrich like you I have too many GB entries on the go, however I was looking for an excuse to build a long term stash resident in the shape of a Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-84 'Hayate' I had initially considered doing it for the proposed 'End of an empire' GB but would it be a valid entrant for this GB? it operated from the Battle of Leyte to home island defence .

Hi mark, I do't know that aircraft at all, if she operated in the SEA region at any time then markings as such would make her ok.

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

if you can find out if they were used in the Coral Sea battle she'll be fine.

No, Hellcats were not used in the Coral Sea. I don't think they even had the later model Wildcats by Coral Sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hi mark, I do't know that aircraft at all, if she operated in the SEA region at any time then markings as such would make her ok.

The A/c is the Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate (Gale) which I believe was reported as 'Frank' by the allies (see link below)

wiki-link

I will be building it with the 22nd Sentai markings supplied in the kit. the only work done on the model is an experiment on a mix for the metallic blue/green for the interior.

Cheers, Mark.

2 hours ago, MarkSH said:

The A/c is the Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate (Gale) which I believe was reported as 'Frank' by the allies (see link below)

wiki-link

I will be building it with the 22nd Sentai markings supplied in the kit. the only work done on the model is an experiment on a mix for the metallic blue/green for the interior.

Cheers, Mark.

from what I could see in the link, her first action was in the Philippines which unfortunately is outside the scope of this GB. I could see any other reference for its use further to the West. For the End of Empire GB it would be perfect. I have a couple aircraft in the stash only suitable for that GB as well.

Rich, you know that you'll receive plenty more questions about eligibility of subjects, so let me add one... 😁

Are US aircrafts that participated in the defence of Australia eligible ? Or are we limited to Australian aircrafts ?

I've got a P-40 that may fit the bill, if it does then I may build this, if not I'll stick to my original plan of a couple Spit VIII, an RAAF one and an RAF one in SEA

12 hours ago, Dazey said:

No, Hellcats were not used in the Coral Sea. I don't think they even had the later model Wildcats by Coral Sea.

I'll save her for the Grumman build 👍🏻 might have something else in the stash to fit this GB criteria.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Rich, you know that you'll receive plenty more questions about eligibility of subjects, so let me add one... 😁

Are US aircrafts that participated in the defence of Australia eligible ? Or are we limited to Australian aircrafts ?

I've got a P-40 that may fit the bill, if it does then I may build this, if not I'll stick to my original plan of a couple Spit VIII, an RAAF one and an RAF one in SEA

Hi Giorgio,

as long as they were flown by Australian or New Zealand pilots (so other countries are fine) in the Pacific. P-40's were used by both countries and it'd be fantastic to see one in one of those colour schemes.

Same goes for B-24's...... for anyone who are a bit stuck. 

This is a good resource for those who are interested.

RAAF & RNZAF serial numbers

Hi,

I'd like to join this once my Lightning is built for the 60's GB.

Would the Airfix Zero (Zeke) fit? It says the colours are 201st Kokutai - Papua New Guinea 1944

Or the Tamiya Kit!! :think:

Cheers

Nigel