Aconcagua 1/48 IA-58 Pucara

goon

Hi All,
I got round to taking some photos of my Acaoncagua 1/48 Pucara. Great fun to build.

The aircraft is that flown by Major Carlos Tomba, and shot down by Commander Nigel 'Sharkey' Ward's Sea Harrier on 21st May 1982. This famous incident is one of my favourite stories from the war. The Pucara soaked up enormous damage, Ward proclaiming that he couldn't believe it was still flying and that Tomba hadn't ejected. Tomba did eject, at the last moment, and Ward later paid tribute to his bravery, airmanship and determination to save his aircraft. Tomba made it to the airfield at Goose Green on foot, where he was taken prisoner when the airfield was captured by 2 Para a few days later. He spent the rest of the war at the hospital at Ajax Bay, volunteering as an interpreter to ehlp the injured. Ward was informed by the CO (Rick Jolley) that Tomba was there, he passed on a message to Tomba saying that he was relieved he was "alive, well and useful." 

I've always wanted a Pucara in my collection, and was very happy to purchase a copy of Aconcagua's all resin kit. It's an intimidating kit in the box, and it sat unbuilt for a good few years. On starting it, I found it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I'd thought, and it went together really well.

dxUEeu09aCYYUF1KP2T0mYyuQMoD0-FRx8Ekn5_6

JpV8HEcl7QVARdKTeJS9zu-IGISlfq6ab__IJf6F

HYjET7LWcXTRp8w0uOSJ7Ydp0Uqxp-VHf5yhzlmq  

mdGrTxedfUxrgVH7q9LbUGoEKLNPJqk36E44xtpY  

CiCyHLCdPCO9AA02jysWD8ouPOZMXNU7X6u2x0r7  

0O5mez1I8e_IiJFPz9Aj_pF6AaE9ycLUc402dl1i  

UvgWA_cX_G-7DP6UyuGryCoUAy4uNFiaGLV8oWT6  

UKx3is4DdiVgCPXxPYDsEXOc2hZ0g_LmFVR3SjYp  

GJmyeWFyg8Cw9n-pFhMu6RHeBCWa19POiXLCxpFM  

76I10D55dLhO_Ijg7jzQYnwcU95GDFhip9Ur-5R_  

UJKp9_aUjILkg3VA6xuTDsyp4jjYAGc6ou2w-rO7  

Edited by goon
  • Like 42

Lovely build.Managed a base visit some years ago and i too would like a 1/48 kit to make my own.Nearly managed a flight in one,Nearly.As our bus left the base we were buzzed by one.Fantastic.Even saw the special scheme one.

Glyn

Thanks for the comments everyone, glad you like the model.

Vlamgat - I bought the model direct from Aconcagua in Argentina. I've looked to provide a link but I can't make the website appear anmore. :(

I too would love a 1/48 injection kit, I'd like to do a couple more.

• Like 1

You have done a fantastic job and I love the whole back story too,...... I have some old Army mates who served at the Red and Green Life Machine at Ajax Bay who will have known Major Tomba. I built an all resin 48th scale kit of the Pucara some years ago and wish that it had turned out half as good as yours. 

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 3