Just been aboard USS MAKIN ISLAND on a hot sunny day, I have about 30 phots of CH-53Es, MV-22s, AV-8B+s that I was able to take without being arrested! - Advice please on which Thread to post? All sitting on my Photobucket, I can put them in the "walk around" section if that is deemed best?

I promised someone on the work-in-progress some interier CH-53E phots, so I'll post a reply there and include a link to the walk around posts. No copyright, please ALL feel to use as required.

If there is a better place to post, please advise (and sorry for the Armour fans, filthy, dusty close ups on a USMC MEU vehicles really didn't do it for me :)

with the crappy upload speed from here in Bahrain, it will take me a while to construct he various threads, so please bare with me as I type/upload away.

Happy for forum staff to delete this thread if required, other wise I'll edit later with a hyper link.

Finally, hope you poor ******s are enjoying the snow back in the UK, sadly only in the lower 20's out here today :) 

• Like 2

Here is a taster of what I got today, I'll happily delete these when I can get a "walk - around" thread up & running (just awaiting a reply from administrators) - in meantime, I think if you click on image, you can access my photobucket library and have a look yourselves - again no copyright, but please don't publish phots of me (or others) in military uniforms ( my mother-in-law still doesn't know her daughter married a sailor!)

IMG_0747.jpgIMG_0723.jpg Dark Grey - there was a lightgrey one as well

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

• Like 2

V-22 wing fold: underside at rear shows interior green or black. Some V-22s have flaps drooped when folded, others not. Canopy glass is gold tinted. Interior of cabin as cluttered as the old workhorse CH-46E - with slightly less space!. AV-8B+s general fit 2 x drop tanks on outboard pylons and a Sniper pod centreline. No AH-1Z or -1Y (Venoms & ???) carried, but several Navy MH-60S's.

IMG_0730.jpgIMG_0731.jpgIMG_0732.jpgIMG_0733.jpgIMG_0735.jpgIMG_0736.jpgIMG_0738.jpg (this V-22 on XtraDecal sheet)

• Like 2

Some CH-53E engine bay phots

IMG_0710.jpgIMG_0709.jpgHarrier with VMM-163 badge

IMG_0708.jpg one for all the Joint Force Harrier maintainers (& their Sea Harriers mates before them) - chatted to a young Marine struggling with the Pegasus engine maintenance, wing off, etc etc), struggling in the humid heat of working narrow spaces in the Hangar........got to ask yourself do you really miss the working the Harrier out in the Gulf??(or Helmand)

IMG_0706.jpgIMG_0705.jpgIMG_0704.jpg don't think they call it the "Grave Yard" as we once did 

IMG_0701.jpg

• Like 3

Shark 64 - for you, forgot to take some good MH-60S photos, but this one should zoom in if it helps with tail rotor fold and blade supports. 

IMG_0748.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 14/01/2017 at 3:08 PM, FIGHTS ON said:

Just been aboard USS MAKIN ISLAND on a hot sunny day, I have about 30 phots of CH-53Es, MV-22s, AV-8B+s that I was able to take without being arrested! - Advice please on which Thread to post? All sitting on my Photobucket, I can put them in the "walk around" section if that is deemed best?

I promised someone on the work-in-progress some interier CH-53E phots, so I'll post a reply there and include a link to the walk around posts. No copyright, please ALL feel to use as required.

If there is a better place to post, please advise (and sorry for the Armour fans, filthy, dusty close ups on a USMC MEU vehicles really didn't do it for me :)

with the crappy upload speed from here in Bahrain, it will take me a while to construct he various threads, so please bare with me as I type/upload away.

Happy for forum staff to delete this thread if required, other wise I'll edit later with a hyper link.

Finally, hope you poor ******s are enjoying the snow back in the UK, sadly only in the lower 20's out here today :) 

Yeah love it Arctic trained me.....were you in that divisions pic in the dockyard dandy btw?

Fantastic shots and thanks for posting these. One thing I've learned - not that I've ever thought about it - is that the wings on the Osprey swivel in line with the fuselage to save space. This is the first time I've seen shots of the aircraft in this configuration. 

12 hours ago, junglierating said:

Yeah love it Arctic trained me.....were you in that divisions pic in the dockyard dandy btw?

No - thank goodness. After 32 years service in the Andrew, by not being a WAFU, WRN or doing winter sports has allowed me to NEVER get published in the Dandy. (that or there is some local bylaw that prevents someone as handsome as myself appearing in print?). These phots are from Jan 2017, just behind the Maklin Island is the new HMS Jafair being built. Apart from my early years on Intrepid in Northern Norway, I've avoided the cold, but not 3 weeks after getting back from the sweltering Gulf, I ended up in the snow in Estonia.....:huh:

57 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Fantastic shots and thanks for posting these. One thing I've learned - not that I've ever thought about it - is that the wings on the Osprey swivel in line with the fuselage to save space. This is the first time I've seen shots of the aircraft in this configuration. 

I've tried doing that RidgeRunners CAG Osprey using the Xtradecal sheet. Sadly the 1/48 Italeri V-22 is just a crap kit with humps & bulges all in the wrong place. I've folded the blades, but NOT the main wing. My pictures show that the underside of the "workings" can be either Black or airframe green. With JSDF using the -22 and so many USMC machines in the Far East, I'm sure Kinetic will release one someday in this decent scale. 

note that these were uploaded to photobucket. At some point I'll move them across to FLICKR and edit these posts, but JULIEN has already kindly put these into the walk around section, under the various AV-8, V-22 sections

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thanks for sharing these excellent pictures with us.

very much appreciated.

Regards,

Orion / The Netherlands