Vietnam...1/48 F-100D Super Sabre

Reini78

Hello Reini !

How did I miss this one ....

Really nice job on the NMF ! Lessons learned ! Thank you and your very productive father !!

Your problems with the decals surely came from the undersized nose of the Trumpy Huns.

I started heavy surgery on mine, another Dr Moreau's work for me.... But I have good sized resin nose from Monogram kits...

And good resin air intakes from Trumpy... Now mating all that stuff into my Monogeter kits :evil_laugh:

Whatever, that's a great looking Hun ! Congratulations !! :partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:53 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Reini !

How did I miss this one ....

Really nice job on the NMF ! Lessons learned ! Thank you and your very productive father !!

Your problems with the decals surely came from the undersized nose of the Trumpy Huns.

I started heavy surgery on mine, another Dr Moreau's work for me.... But I have good sized resin nose from Monogram kits...

And good resin air intakes from Trumpy... Now mating all that stuff into my Monogeter kits :evil_laugh:

Whatever, that's a great looking Hun ! Congratulations !! :partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

I just now discovered this build- what everybody else has said- Wow! Great hot section, too! Yep, CC, the Trumpeter nose is too shallow and the intake has a flat bottom where it should be oval. Monogram got it right, and IIRC somebody does a resin replacement, but 1/48 not being my preferred scale, I can't tell you who it was. Their 1/72 Huns have the same problem, but being an old fud, I have a couple of Hasegawa and Esci Huns I can turn to for intake replacements. This one's looking very, very good, though!

Mike

Oh, yeah- I vaguely remember some discussion about the length or shape of the 'banana' external tanks, and I think somebody made resin replacements, but don't hold me to that, as it may just have been regarding the 1/72 kits! Bet @Sabrejet will know.

Hi Mike,

You also neglected to mention the over-narrow cockpits and canopies on the Trumper 1/72 F-100s.

On the subject of the banana tanks, remember that they had two sizes of these in reality. Also the Turks produced their own which were a weird banana shape but with a conical nose.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Oh, yeah- I vaguely remember some discussion about the length or shape of the 'banana' external tanks, and I think somebody made resin replacements, but don't hold me to that, as it may just have been regarding the 1/72 kits! Bet @Sabrejet will know.

Sadly no: I'm just a Sabre man: the F-100 is a whole new ball game for someone else to look at!

19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Mike,

You also neglected to mention the over-narrow cockpits and canopies on the Trumper 1/72 F-100s.

On the subject of the banana tanks, remember that they had two sizes of these in reality. Also the Turks produced their own which were a weird banana shape but with a conical nose.

Martin

Thanks, Martin- I had forgotten about the canopy and cockpit; I wasn't sure about the tanks and was too lazy to pull out my notes on the subject to see which ones were inaccurate, which is why I just mentioned to check review/s on them; I do remember buying a pair of resin aftermarket tanks, don't remember what capacity, though, for my F-100D project...now, I just need to find them! (Too many resin and, etched sets and , and vacform canopies for me to keep track of anymore!) 'Preciate your corrections, as always!

Mike

I always hoped Meng would do F-100's, as I think they would get them right, if their other Century Series models are any indication.

Hi Mike!

Taking the 1/72 perspective: the Esci kit had the larger banana tanks, while the Trumpeter had/has the small version.  I don't know of any manufacturer of the Turkish indigenous ones. I think the stories of inaccuracy with the Trumpeter are therefore misguided. Now that's a bold statement! ;)

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Looking superb.

Like the care and attention you are pouring over this plane.

Just going from memory, and the few refs I have right now, I have a feeling that the main gear doors close again after the wheels are down. And then only open for the gear to retract.

But you need to check--- and you may know different!!

🌟🌟🌟

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Looking superb.

Like the care and attention you are pouring over this plane.

Just going from memory, and the few refs I have right now, I have a feeling that the main gear doors close again after the wheels are down. And then only open for the gear to retract.

But you need to check--- and you may know different!!

🌟🌟🌟

My dad wanted to do them closed, but the fit wasn´t so good so he decided to keep the doors open. Seen a lot of pics with open doors when the aircraft is parked.

almost done

42632354400_653142c9fe_b.jpgDSC_0001 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 2