1/48 Bf-109 E-3, A New Beginning

Decal update.  All the paint is on.  Although it looks like I messed up with my masking job on the port wing for the dark green.  It should be extended more towards the end of the wing.  Oh well, would have been nice to notice prior to applying the decals.  Here are some shots of the decals that went on without too many problems.  And, I mean by problems, my lack of sense of touch.

Decal%20top.jpg

Decal%20port.jpg

decal%20starboard.jpg

decal%20starboard%20close.jpg

decal%20starboard%20port%20close.jpg

decal%20lower.jpg

Lessons learned for the future for those touch-challenged.  First, be very patient in waiting for the decals to loosen from the backing sheet.  In the past, I was able to gently hurry the process of applying the decals as I could persuade them very carefully to leave the backing sheet.  No more, that requires a very delicate sense of touch that I no longer have.  I am, however quite able to rip apart decals with ease.  So, need more patience and just wait for the decals to fall off the backing sheet.  Going with delicate touch, no longer can I use my fingers to move the decals into place as that also just rips them to pieces.  Rather, a very dull scalpel blade and lots of micro set is the best way to move them for me.  More vision control than sense of touch.  So, there are a few “weathered” decals meaning they are missing parts, like the dog on the port side.  I am going with the story it was intentional.

Another lesson learned. The photos have very different lighting.  That is because I thought it was a lovely day to shoot outside.  So did my “helpers” below:

dogs.jpg

They came to my rescue as they thought the large white Styrofoam poster board might be threatening me and stood on it a while.  Did I mention it rained earlier in the morning?  Scratch one clean sheet.  Then one of them, the female, decided as I was changing out background sheets, she would take the model and perhaps play with it until I was ready to shoot pictures.  Did you know a 1/48 109 looks remarkably like a tennis ball to a German Shephard?  She did spit it out of her mouth very quickly when a very ugly, guttural sound emitted from within me that portrayed to her some sort of danger to her being would occur if she ate the model.  The rest of the pictures were taken inside, go figure.

I do have to clean up some heavy handed future spots that are on the bottom of the kit, along with a couple of persistent air bubbles.

pool%20mess%20up.jpg

After this, the weathering process will begin and hopefully I won’t botch that too bad.  Since the decals are “weathered”, the paint job should match.  As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, hendie said:

considering what you are up against George, I think you are doing a great job.   I might swap out the dull scalpel blade for a blunt toothpick for coaxing decals around though.

A toothpick is too small for decent manipulation for me, but a bamboo skewer comes to mind as being a good alternative choice. Thanks. 

Yup, you really are motoring along with this - I am impressed. Watching for the next update now!

With regard to moving decals around in the future, had you considered colo(u)r shapers? They can be had in soft or hard formulations, The grip would be sufficient, but as they're not rigid, they're much less likely to tear decals. They're also good for manipulating putty before it's dry, therefore minimising sanding. Just a thought!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=color+shaper&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

With regard to moving decals around in the future, had you considered colo(u)r shapers?

John, 

I went to the web site and I still have no clue as to what these things actual use is.  Can't for the life of me figure out how they shape color?  I can see how they might be used for decal application, but for the life of me cannot determine how an artist uses them to manipulate color.  Of course, since I am not an artist as stick figures are beyond my ability, that could be why I have never encountered these things before.  Now I have to do research for their actual use.  Can't wait to see what google has to offer!

• Like 1

Hi George,

So that is why you have been quiet for so long. Sorry to hear of your sensory deprivation, but you seem to be developing amusing humorous working coping strategies along the way!

The build looks good and I remember building that model with similar problems, so do not worry, (too much!). Nice set of 'helpers' there; are you sure that she was not telling the model to be nice to you?

On-On!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

11 hours ago, georgeusa said:

John, 

I went to the web site and I still have no clue as to what these things actual use is.  Can't for the life of me figure out how they shape color?  I can see how they might be used for decal application, but for the life of me cannot determine how an artist uses them to manipulate color.  Of course, since I am not an artist as stick figures are beyond my ability, that could be why I have never encountered these things before.  Now I have to do research for their actual use.  Can't wait to see what google has to offer!

All funnies aside, they are somewhat in the abstract - but it's a great idea. Have a look at the description on this page:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/colour-shapers-tools/

A non-update update.  Confused, me too.  Given I am reducing my work load and no longer have an office to do my builds, I am creating my own model workspace.  That is both good news and bad news.  The good news, is I will have a dedicated space to work in that doesn’t have to be put back in place every night; a dedicated modeling room.  The bad news involves SWMBO.  For the last 10 years, I have had my stash split between a storage unit and my office.  Only Mr. Nigel Heath has seen my storage unit stash in person.  For the first time in more than a decade, I have all my stash in one place, open to view.  Friends, I have a problem.  There is no sane reason for me to have the amount of unbuilt kits I have. I believe I have conjunctive neukititis.  Symptoms involve the uncontrollable urge to purchase more kits of the same or similar subjects despite already possessing that same subject in various makes/manufacturers in quantities that will take more than a lifetime to complete.

For the last week, I have been moving stuff around and transforming a spare room into my modeling room.  So, here are some pics of the room so far with most of the kits in somewhat of an order.

The shelf on the left is 1/72 with the shelf on the right the first part of 1/48.

IMG_3179.jpg

The shelf on the left is a continuation of 1/48 with most of the smaller 1/32 kits.  The shelf on the right is the larger 1/32, 1/48 and 1/24 kits.

IMG_3176.jpg

Where this mess of boxes to mangled to stack properly, or projects half-completed will be my modelling desk, computer, and paint station.  Also, somewhere will be a couple of filing cabinets with instructions, reference materials, after market decals and after-market goodies.

IMG_3174.jpg

I also have been distracted by my new 1:1 build project.  That being a 1977 Yamaha 750 which I purchased from a very nice 85-year-old man and that has not been ridden since 1981.  For the last 36 years, he has stored it in his garage safe from all the elements and weather temperature extremes.  It still kicks over and has compression!

DSCN5537%202.jpg

So, bear with me as I get my new model space set up and there will be updates.  The stash is why I have to learn to model without any feeling in my hands.  Otherwise, SWMBO will strongly suggest there is no need for all my lovely, precious kits.  (All of a sudden I have turned into the plastic modeling version of Smeagol!)  Anyways, I should be finished by the middle of next week and will resume updates on this little kit from my new digs.  As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 9

I think we've all been there with the kit buying compulsion. When we moved to France, SWMBO was horrified at the number of mover's boxes I needed for my stash and that was after selling about 30% of it and doubling up kits into one box where I could.

Never been a bike rider, but I do like the look of that one ( and the dog ).

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hendie said:

that stash is larger than most shops stock!

I told you I had a problem. The sad thing is, I reduced the stash some last year at a model show. It was a bit larger.  It's like does anyone really need 2 MB 200 kits for example?

56 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

George, I'm amazed at your results, given your present condition.

Looks miles better than I can produce, and I can feel all my fingers. 

Matt

I've seen your work, it's loads better than this. But, thanks for the compliment. 

• Like 1

Oh, George, there is no cure.

You could say that you are laying them down,

like fine wines. You might get away with that.

But you didn't hear it from me.

SWMBO might find out my address.

BTW, Three P-61's? tsk. (They are nice though)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Oh, George, there is no cure.

You could say that you are laying them down,

like fine wines. You might get away with that.

But you didn't hear it from me.

SWMBO might find out my address.

BTW, Three P-61's? tsk. (They are nice though)

Pete,

I think the worst excess is the amount of Eduard Spitfires (Royal class w/2 kits, Aussie 8 w/2 kits and 3 kits of just the trees). That doesn't include the different Revell, Italeri and Airfix kit versions. And that is just the 1/48 Spits. I also think you missed the 3 1/48 Kingfisher kits by Revell/Monogram. I know I have a problem. I just have to live a very long time to build them all right?  Now all I have to do is rationalize why I desperately need the new 1/32 Special Hobby Tempest II!  I'm ignoring the fact I have the Tempest V kit.  I need therapy. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What is this . . . an update!  Yep, life keeps getting in the way of modeling.  But there is hope in sight that regular updates will become the norm rather than the exception.  (Of course, it is up to you to determine if this is good news or a terroristic threat of impending doom coming your way.)

Anyway, back to the update.  There is progress on the modeling room, but not completion.  Seems that is a low priority around here.  Apparently, horses, cows, dogs, cats, a token rabbit, fence work, and other assorted tasks that need to be done has a higher priority than completing a modeling room.  Go figure!  Back to this woefully treated 109.  I have begun the weathering process on this little kit.  I really don’t think it should be too heavily weathered as it is early in the war, the Germans have been winning and maintenance should have been at a pretty high level.  So a bit of grime needs to be put on, along with some light wear.  Now, I am going a bit old school on this one as I can’t find the box that has all the weathering goodies in it.  Somewhere there are some Flory washes and Tamiya pastel powders, along with other tricks of the trade, but for the life of me, I don’t know where they are.  So, a wash was done using some heavily diluted black acrylic paint I ripped, I mean, borrowed, from someone’s art supplies.

Wash%20bottom%201.jpg

I put it on a bit thick, but the beauty of this wash is that I can remove it with just water in case I mess up.  (A very likely occurrence.).  So the whole underside is covered in a black, acrylic watery goo.  That is left to dry for about 15 minutes and then the fun and games of removal begin.  Some people use paper towels, others use make up pads, I have more luck with Q-tips (sorry cotton buds).  I never can get the right amount of moisture on either paper towels or make up pads, and end up washing all the wash. Which, is not the effect I am trying to achieve.   And, with my new lack of feeling or touch in my hands, it is easier to control using cotton buds as the target area to be messed up is quite small. 

As primitive as it seems, my method is to take a cotton bud, wet it with my saliva (trying to maintain a high level of description here) and then go to work removing most of the wash until it looks like I have removed too much and should start over.  I have found, when I reach this level, the result is acceptable rather than I do just the amount I think I should remove.  What happens then is I come back 30 minutes later and hate the way it looks as the model appears to have been dunked in a mud hole and left to dry.  I go through a lot of cotton buds, and my tongue and lips very quickly take on the color of whatever wash I am removing; a quite attractive sight most of the times.  And, I might add, never too tasty.  So after more than a few cotton buds, I removed almost all of the wash and am left with this level of grime.

Wash%20bottom%202.jpg

Wash%20bottom%203.jpg

Wash%20bottom%204.jpg

During this wash process, I invariably knock something off.  This time it was one of the wing guns.  So, at some point in time, they will need to be replaced with tubing.  I also have noticed in the pictures, some further refinement needs to be done on a couple of seems and some more sanding needs to be done where some Future has pooled.

I next went up top to do the same routine on the sides and upper surfaces.

Wash%20top%201.jpg

Wash%20top%202.jpg

Then most of the wash was removed leaving just a hint of dirt and grime in some of the panel lines.

Wash%20top%204.jpg

Wash%20top%205.jpg

Wash%20top%206.jpg

Wash%20top%209.jpg

Wash%20top%207.jpg

Wash%20top%2010.jpg

After looking at the pictures some more, I think the hint is just a little bit to heavy of a hint and needs to be more subtle, like when someone asks me if those are my socks on the floor when the real message is I better pick them up right quick Mister!  So more removal will be done, but not too much as when looked at from a distance, the weathering is almost there.  Has to be a compromise between what looks good up close and what looks good from a normal 3 feet away.

After some weathering removal, I then broke out a silver pencil and started doing wear effects.  Not too much as I don’t think these planes suffered much abuse.

Silver%201%201.jpg

Silver%201%202.jpg

Silver%201%203.jpg

Silver%201%204.jpg

Silver%201%205.jpg

Silver%201%206.jpg

Silver%201%207.jpg

Silver%201%208.jpg

Silver%201%209.jpg

Silver%201%2010.jpg

So, that is where she stands right now’ a basic wash with some silver penciling done.  I still need to do some exhaust stains, do the wheel wells and some grease markings.  Then, attach all the hangy down parts like the undercarriage.  As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 4