45 Sqn Beaufighters, Operation Firedog

85sqn

Hi folks,

after being inspired by the Airfix new 1/72 Beau TF10 I'm currently planning to make a 45 Sqn. version in 1/48 from the Tamiya TF.X kit. I'd really like to do an airframe with the spinners, medium sea gray over night and external fuel tank. In fact RD805/ OB-J is the airframe I'd like to do as seen in the Airfix kit. However I cannot find any photos of that particular airframe and there don't seem to be many photos around of that scheme in general. Here's what I have so far:

Beau4.jpg

Beau45RocketRails2.jpg

Screenshot_2017-01-12-19-31-55.png

The screenshot is from this short clip on youtube: 

I have the SAM book and In Action series book but no joy. Can anyone help with some reference photos of that airframe or any others from the sqn in that scheme?

Best regards

Nick

• Like 3

According to Jerry Scutts in the Crowood book that scheme was applied to 'at least four' 45 Squadron Beaufighters in 1949. As they were the last operational Beaufighter squadron that gives an idea why it is so rare. There is a photo of RD805 OB-J but in the earlier two tone uppersurfaces with sky band(?). RD816/O is pictured in camo but without the sky band. The two a/c photographs showing the grey/black scheme are RD819/F and RD857/R - the same photo of R as above.

IMG_0894_zpss9wqim9a.jpg

Nick,

Apologies for the quality of photograph, however here is the only pic I have of RD805 in the later scheme as depicted in the lovely Airfix kit.

This image has been taken from the book "The Flying Camels' The History of 45 Sqn. RAF by Wg Cdr CG Jefford - page 339. I hope I haven't crossed any copyright laws in doing this (??).

If you are planning on converting the Tamiya kit, it would also be wise to seek out the July edition of Airfix Modelworld where Beaufighter SME (Subject Matter Expert) Terry Higgins also points out a few subtle airframe differences to these later build TF.X's.

I hope this helps and look forward to seeing OB-J reproduced in kit form.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

Chaps, thankyou very much that is incredibly helpful. Only four in that scheme, wow. Could the aircraft I posted above with the gentleman in front be RD805 in-between painting its codes back on? There seems to be a mix of which of these carried the gun camera?

best regards

Nick

On 14 January 2017 at 8:35 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

If you are planning on converting the Tamiya kit, it would also be wise to seek out the July edition of Airfix Modelworld where Beaufighter SME (Subject Matter Expert) Terry Higgins also points out a few subtle airframe differences to these later build TF.X's.

Even better!! 

This issue of Airfix Modelworld is available to download as a "free sample" from the Airfix Modelworld App Store. 

Sorry - not sure how to set up a link for this application. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Edit - the free version I've just mentioned is missing 6 pages of Beaufighter scale drawings. This is a real shame as they compliment the article text quite well. I wonder if this is typical of online mag versions or just specific to this free edition! 

If I ever get my old PC back up and running, I could email the article. Unfortunately, we had a power failure yesterday morning and the damn thing won't start up again.  I'm quite PO'd, to say the least.

Chris

On 20/01/2017 at 10:14 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Even better!! 

This issue of Airfix Modelworld is available to download as a "free sample" from the Airfix Modelworld App Store. 

Sorry - not sure how to set up a link for this application. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Edit - the free version I've just mentioned is missing 6 pages of Beaufighter scale drawings. This is a real shame as they compliment the article text quite well. I wonder if this is typical of online mag versions or just specific to this free edition! 

Cheers for that, I managed to get the free copy a couple of weeks ago but didnt realise there was meant to be any plans included. Scale Aircraft Monthly has a article on a 1/72 Airfix Beau in Firedog markings. Although, I dont think the photos are particularly well taken. 

The four aircraft in the grey/night scheme  are:

RD805 OB-J

RD819 OB-F

RD857 OB-R

RD83? OB-Y

I have also seen someone model RD824 as OB-K but havent seen a supporting photograph. In the video above it is in its camo scheme and shown here: https://books.google.je/books?id=GxN5kZK060QC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=beaufighter+rd824&source=bl&ots=BIeUAwjNs3&sig=g4rfJ7mJTH3dvl7hf0qJpGI7iZ4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_7tmKu9rRAhWFJMAKHduKBZQQ6AEIGTAA#v=onepage&q=beaufighter rd824&f=false

cheers

Nick

• 1 year later...

I can't help on the colour questions but would like to know if any of them operated with bombs or the early rocket launcher (4 HE rockets spread out under the wing) instead of the late version of the rocket launcher (4 HE rockets suspended in stacked pairs)?

David

13 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

https://sites.google.com/site/nvquinnell/part7

There is a 45th Beaufighter at Changi depicted here with what may be a bomb rack. Sorry for the blurry photo.

It's the same rocket pylon shown in the first two photos of the OP

Edited by Wez

• 3 years later...

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I just discovered this lovely decal sheet

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48188

that has a 45 Sqn Beau during Operation Firedog.

It mentions an air intake on top of the fuselage, but I haven't seen any of that sort in the Revell boxing or the Tamiya one.

Could I just nick one of the short engine intakes and repurpose it, or do I need to do something more exotic?

26 minutes ago, Christer A said:

It mentions an air intake on top of the fuselage, but I haven't seen any of that sort in the Revell boxing or the Tamiya one.

Could I just nick one of the short engine intakes and repurpose it, or do I need to do something more exotic?

The Airfix 1/72 kit of a Firedog Beaufighter has one.   I recently built the archaic Matchbox kit and just reshaped and repositioned the bulge on the top of the fuselage that comes with most TFX kits.  I assume it was a fairing covering an antenna of some kind.   You might get away with that in your scale?. 

David

spacer.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David Womby said:

I assume it was a fairing covering an antenna of some kind.   You might get away with that in your scale?. 

That fairing covers the gun camera. Previously, it had been mounted in the nose, but the radar was there now, so the camera was moved.

Chris

• Like 1