airfix 1/72 mustang IV Quick!

rob85

So i'm a bit late to the party... but i have spare time and a kit and some after market transfers.... so why not! lest see if we can get this to the gallery before the 15th??

the kit is the lovely 1/72 mustang from airfix, i have never built this kit before but have wanted to for some time. I managed to pic it up off the forum for about £4 with out transfers, but i knew i had the figters over the Med sheet so not a problem!

here is what i want to build, a 249 AC, this squadron also flew spitfires in the defense of Malta so nice to do something different flown by them.

32248485255_0a17ab6cda_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

lovely stuff... and here is where i got to last night. everything painted on the spruce because if a copy @PlaStix then of course I will be as good as him?? who needs skill??

31872810370_51932b758d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32099844252_f9acf87369_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32210159036_f782c62df9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32129287701_59f0bbf3ed_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

anyway i cant hang around i have work to do!!

Rob

• Like 5

So she is buttoned up with her wings on now.... even though I took great care not to after a warning from Stix.... I broke the control column, if I feel I have time I may scratch something to fill the void!

only down side of this kit so far are the spruce gates, some are just unnecessarily thick. 

Pics up tonight

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob! Great to see you building this here and super start too! I don't think I've heard of anyone being able to remove the control column in one piece! You are totally correct - the sprues gates are way too big. Don't forget about the undercarriage being a bit on the spongy side - someone was kind enough to advise me that it feels quite weak while it's being worked on - it's okay(ish) once everything is glued in place - just don't put any extra weight on it!!

Hope everything else goes to plan!

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Ced, I was lazy last night and should have posted progress.... first two coats for the underside and one coat for the top... all the little bits added and the gun sight tweezered in as I had forgotten that :)

Rob

• Like 2

While I think about it you'll probably need to make a replacement aerial mast, if you haven't done so all ready. Looking at the photo of yours on the sprue above it looks to be in the same poor state as mine was. I used some styrene strip.

Hope progress is going well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

While I think about it you'll probably need to make a replacement aerial mast, if you haven't done so all ready. Looking at the photo of yours on the sprue above it looks to be in the same poor state as mine was. I used some styrene strip.

Hope progress is going well.

Kind regards,

Stix

That's what that lump is!! I am building this without instructions (there for wimps anyway :) ) so I am looking at the parts on the sprue and guessing to be honest.

Rob

• Like 1

so finally got my backside into gear and here is an update!

a close up of the little tape seat belts

32151119411_15bae18542_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and the prop being put together

31895187520_f65dd6ee68_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32122234502_b580c63eac_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the office installed, i did this in stages as itsa rather long and complicated bit which if you get wrong will put the whole fuselarge out. So glued and held the back section with the tail wheel housing then the centre for the filter and radio bits(?) and finally the main CP

32122234832_0b1a7b1f9e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

tail wheel

32271467855_534a791771_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and then all taped up

31430008154_234700e13a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

wings together and on the air frame

32169779641_e59e9c5665_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

after a sand on the seams and a good going over with micromesh (not as much as @Fatboydim ) i applied a coat of tamiya royal grey with a brand new brush

32291544855_66f603385d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

thats two coats in there, then tamiya ocean grey 2 (raf) for the uppers

32171915491_5bc2253186_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

one coat, followed by the second which i have just done

32309787755_dd71692aab_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

let that dry for a hour and then hit it with a third thinned coat. i hope to get the green on tonight then maybe push to a gloss coat if it drys before i get too tired....just enough time for a couple of these...

31468123284_8cf1b8ab4b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Rob

• Like 7

Nice looking Mustang Rob. And an excellent choice of a single malt I might add . 

• Like 1

Well you shouldn't wait long.... if the kids play ball!

i have a day off as well tomorrow so if all goes to plan tonight I will have finished the p-38 and p-51, get them in RFI then I may tackle a few of the on hold projects... hellcat and buffalo from last year anyone? A JU88 perhaps? Or maybe get past the tiny lumps on the engine cowl of my Boston??! Who know I may just not bother and start something new!

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob. What a shame. I was really hoping you'd have chance to get this finished and in the gallery. I will watch out for the RFI photos - it was looking good when last seen! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

so here are the last couple of paint pictures and then the finished artical.

paint was all mircomeshed using 6000 and 8000 grit, now i wasn't going to bother putting these in however i feel they show really well A) why i love the stuff and b ) how well tamiya paints buff up, dont know what it is about them but they shine like no other after a buff and you don't end up taking too much off.... did you hear then vallejo... i said they don't come (peel) off!....any way

31521293883_151d814ed3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

guess which one is and which isn't? and that me being lazy.

31489886114_74cf87e4ff_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31955348420_4d3b2bc892_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

not the best pics but you get the idea.

and the big reveal...

31992096450_cdbd2ee7b5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32369090705_919c926144_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31526458014_4d26f04158_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31557978353_75a4531d02_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31557977573_bd885bb3ed_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

cheers all

Rob

• Like 3

sorry forgot to say, weathered using pastels and citadel washes for the fuel staining. believe it or not that sheen is still there after three coats with MATT varnish! but i quite like it so happy

Rob