1/32 Westland Whirlwind by Specialhobby

Petr

I'd say the price is in the right ball-park. It looks like a 'basic' (no resin, hopefully some photo-etch) package?

I'll have to limit my order to only two...

Is it OK to start speculating as to what 'profi-pack' extras will be along in the future? open engine bay, cannon bay? It just begs for one, IMHO.

The Hannants blurb says 'fighter' only, so presumably we'll also have to wait for bombs & racks.

On 06/03/2021 at 10:17, mick b said:

No denying this a surprising and excellent choice of subject by SH, I like forward to their 1/32nd Barracuda next 😂

Mike

On 06/03/2021 at 11:38, spitfire said:

A Barracuda for me also.

Cheers

Dennis

Ah the Fairey Barracuda - the aircraft the USNavy feared the most and lobbied against its deployment to the Pacific War. 

Having seen it operate of carriers they were worried that USN personnel would have a high casualty rate from slipped discs caused by laughing so much. :D

Fairey naval aviation did produce some odd looking birds and FAA types produced in the UK always seemed behind the times but that’s a discussion for a whole other topic. 

More seriously and relevantly the price point for the Whirlwind is pretty much bang on target I think. It will be a decent kit for the money and with some judicious aftermarket and modelling skills applied I suspect it might be turned into a head turner. I will grab one anyway.  But a 1/32 Barracuda?  Oh God - just done me back in :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

Ah the Fairey Barracuda - the aircraft the USNavy feared the most and lobbied against its deployment to the Pacific War. 

Having seen it operate of carriers they were worried that USN personnel would have a high casualty rate from slipped discs caused by laughing so much. :D

Fairey naval aviation did produce some odd looking birds and FAA types produced in the UK always seemed behind the times but that’s a discussion for a whole other topic. 

More seriously and relevantly the price point for the Whirlwind is pretty much bang on target I think. It will be a decent kit for the money and with some judicious aftermarket and modelling skills applied I suspect it might be turned into a head turner. I will grab one anyway.  But a 1/32 Barracuda?  Oh God - just done me back in :D

Allegedly some US Avenger pilots on seeing the Barracuda said it was a fine looking machine but would never replace the aeroplane 😂

Still I love it and it served the FAA well, pipe dream I know but SH can appease me by doing a 32nd Skua instead 😂

I would hope this Whirlwind sells well despite its £70 price tag and I reckon this and the ICM Beaufort should fly off the shelves.

Mike 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 3:19 AM, B_Bogus said:

I'd say the price is in the right ball-park. It looks like a 'basic' (no resin, hopefully some photo-etch) package?

I'll have to limit my order to only two...

Is it OK to start speculating as to what 'profi-pack' extras will be along in the future? open engine bay, cannon bay? It just begs for one, IMHO.

The Hannants blurb says 'fighter' only, so presumably we'll also have to wait for bombs & racks.

Hi 

On the subject of speculations .....

A 1:32 ' different whirlwinds ' issue with the same four options as the 1:72 boxing 

Cheers 

Jerry 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I don't know if it is any indication of imminence, but Hannants now have the 10% pre-order discount applied: £56.69 B) 

Cheers,

Stew

yep - just after I pre-ordered it from somewhere else because Hannants hadn't applied their usual pre-order discount :crying:

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi 

Hannants has sprue shots

one shows both size bombs 

So maybe another issue is in the pipeline ? 

Cheers

Jerry 

Carriers and sway braces present and correct too :smile:

The detailing on the undercarriage looks good. They've clearly worked hard on this one, so I'm hopeful that they'll want to maximise on their investment with future issues. 

If they replicate the work they did on accessory sets for their Siebel 204... 

As previously said, they went to town on all possible variants in 1/72, so the future could be interesting!

• Like 2

Hi 

Over on LSP forum 

They are preparing "Hi-tech" version for the release later on. 
And also some add-ons for wheels, cannons, full cannon armament, boarding pilot's figure and more...

Here goes my hobby budget 

Cheers. 

Jerry 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi 

Over on LSP forum 

They are preparing "Hi-tech" version for the release later on. 
And also some add-ons for wheels, cannons, full cannon armament, boarding pilot's figure and more...

Here goes my hobby budget 

Cheers. 

Jerry 

My worst fears confirmed - I'd told my wife that the one(s) I already ordered are absolutely the last models I'm buying until next winter, no exceptions, no sir-ee.... 🤥

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, B_Bogus said:

My worst fears confirmed - I'd told my wife that the one(s) I already ordered are absolutely the last models I'm buying until next winter, no exceptions, no sir-ee.... 🤥

Get the raffle ticket book ready and then you can get one and say, Ooooo  look what I won dear!!! 

• Haha 3

You have to hand it  to the Czech Model companies like Eduard and Special Hobby . They give Tamiya and Hasegawa a real run for their money .

I actually regard them both now better than Tamiya for surface detail and range of kits you actually would like to build .

looks a real beauty @ !

• Like 3