1/32 Westland Whirlwind by Specialhobby

Petr

On 10/20/2020 at 8:22 AM, Homebee said:

Hi

in the back of my mind, i keep thinking at sometime i found out that on P7116 the harp and clover was green and white

and the tail cone checker marks were green and white 

but can i find any note in my files ... 

nope ... 

but talking to a guy many years ago who built whirlwinds at westlands

there was a small metal eel shaped plate made at westlands and attached to the P7116 somewhere near the cockpit for a certain RAF officer for his whirlwind 

looking forward to its release

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry

• 4 weeks later...

Just two squadrons' worth. If Rolls Royce had had the resources to develop both the Peregrine and the Merlin it would have been a different story. The Beaufighter met the requirement, so that was the end 😢

I read an account where an engine failed over the Channel and after landing what was left of it filled a few buckets!

Rather bizarrely there was no fuel cross-feed, so if one engine quit its fuel just stayed put. The customer didn't specify it, so Westlands didn't provide it!

Can't remember where I read in now, but the upper surface grey was called 'Mixed Grey', and wasn't Ocean Grey. USAAF Neutral Gray is apparently a good match. 

The Whirlwind was a small design tightly tailored around a small engine: too much so to allow significant development.  There was a very interesting thread on the lamented old Flypast board on why the production aircraft couldn't match the prototype's performance, blaming this on the DH propeller.  However, had it been in service, as planned, for mid 1940 it would have been a very useful aircraft indeed: after the BoB it was a case of small numbers with no real role.

Mixed Grey was supposed to be a near-exact match for Ocean Grey until supplies of the real thing ramped up (as we'd say nowadays).  Those mixes that ended up darker drew attention.  I suspect others didn't get mentioned. although may explain some of the unusually light greys seen on some aircraft.  Neutral Gray itself seems to have varied considerably, but the early dark one probably is a reasonable representation.  Although several other options may work as well, and it is probably impossible to be dogmatically precise for each case.

20 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

What's with that bizarre black tailplane underside depicted on P6985?

To me it's clearly wrong, a misinterpretation of the shadow that is also visible being cast by the nacelle against the starboard wing

09bf64aba2d85949303eb466575a788c.jpg

Absolutely - the shade matches the shadow under the nacelle, but lacks the intensity of the black wing underside.

Curiously, I found this in the old Ducimus book. Clearly not on operational squadron strength yet, and the dark (camouflage green/brown, apparently) spinners don't help either!

To further flog the (not quite) dead horse, it states the Sept. 1941 scheme was either Ocean Grey or Mixed Grey (seven parts MSG, one part Night), with the Mixed Grey being predominant during 1941

I've seen such huge variations in the currently available Ocean Grey model colours as to make such subtleties irrelevant anyway!

EDIT: The black wing on P6985 was introduced November 1940 and was 'semi-permanent distemper' applied over the Sky - applied to the wing & nacelle only (it says...)

Ducimus snip

Edited by B_Bogus
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 1:09 AM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

in the back of my mind, i keep thinking at sometime i found out that on P7116 the harp and clover was green and white

and the tail cone checker marks were green and white 

but can i find any note in my files ... 

nope ... 

but talking to a guy many years ago who built whirlwinds at westlands

there was a small metal eel shaped plate made at westlands and attached to the P7116 somewhere near the cockpit for a certain RAF officer for his whirlwind 

looking forward to its release

cheers

jerry 

It rang a bell but I just found it... it's in the Kookaburra publication...

Kookaburra

• Like 1

Interesting thought.  Maybe the first in service: I think a late Arado 68 had one, and possibly an Avia B.534?  The Gloster F 5/34 must count as close, with only a small rear metal part.  Wiki says the Zero entered service in July 1940 which would just edge out the Whirlwind.

PS  Ki27 Nate?  Earliest service type so far?

9 hours ago, B_Bogus said:

It rang a bell but I just found it... it's in the Kookaburra publication...

Kookaburra

Hi

Many thanks, you have proved my memory is not as bad as i sometimes think it is 

think the colours were to do with a pilot with irish ancestry 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

hopefully it comes early this year 

cheers

jerry 

Fingers and Toes crossed, been waiting so long!!! Struggling to keep the money i have set aside towards it,  looking at all the other fine releases!!! 

I have just given myself a slap as I had a moment of weakness there,  sorry won't happen again !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

In case Jerry missed it in the newsletter just released:  😋

"One of the most exciting models we are going to release this spring is, no doubt, the Westland Whirlwind Mk.I in 1/32, which is in the final stage of preparations now." 

oh hell yes!!!!!!

On 1/12/2021 at 11:12 AM, Work In Progress said:

In case Jerry missed it in the newsletter just released:  😋

"One of the most exciting models we are going to release this spring is, no doubt, the Westland Whirlwind Mk.I in 1/32, which is in the final stage of preparations now." 

Hi

Yes i did miss it 

thanks for the info

hopefully hannants can resume shipping to canada by then 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

7 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

hopefully hannants can resume shipping to canada by then

Wouldn;t you be better off ordering direct from Special Hobby? I can't see any benefit to you in making it travel through an unnecessary third country, especially given the current issues

7 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Wouldn;t you be better off ordering direct from Special Hobby? I can't see any benefit to you in making it travel through an unnecessary third country, especially given the current issues

Hi 

i may have to buy straight from SH 

for some strange reason items that i buy from mainland europe usually get hit with import duties

items from hannants usually do not 

cheers

jerry 

11 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

There's a reliable ebay seller from Poland, Bob something?, gets the new SH releases early, I've bought from him quite a few times. 

Do tell  :please: - need more detail!

Curious of Lancastria