1/32 Westland Whirlwind by Specialhobby

Petr

I hope they'll downscale it to 1/48, like they did teaming up with Eduard for the Tempest. Nothing against large scale kits, just no room to place one with such wingspan .....

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, B_Bogus said:

Looking good 😎

Not a complaint - just an observation...

I’m a little surprised that the nose cap doesn’t fall on a natural panel line. For some reason I’d imagined that the cannon cover would have been a separate item, with the possibility of a detailed cannon bay. If ever an aircraft cried out for such a detail, it would have to be the ‘Crikey’.

Hopefully the aftermarket (or Hi-tech release?) will provide 🤞

Hi

ideal it will most likely mean aftermarket and maybe even the L6844  nose extension

cheers

jerry 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, B_Bogus said:

Looking good 😎

Not a complaint - just an observation...

I’m a little surprised that the nose cap doesn’t seem to fall on a natural panel line - or does it? For some reason I’d imagined that the cannon cover would have been a separate item, with the possibility of a detailed cannon bay. If ever an aircraft cried out for such a detail, it would have to be the ‘Crikey’.

Hopefully the aftermarket (or Hi-tech release?) will provide 🤞

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

According to the SH July newsletter... 

"Later in the year, you may be looking forward to the release of a couple of brand new model kits as for example the Ki-54 or Mirage III in 1/72 or the Whirlwind in 1/32 as well" 

I don't know about later in the year, I'm *already* looking forward to the release! The question is whether they are actually going to release it...  😁 

Looks good so far. One thing I would look at first is the design of the leading edge radiator intakes, which looks like they've got right.

Have they designed the rear part of the engine cowl to droop with the dropped flaps, which they often were when parked. Quite an essential if building this in 1/32.

10 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Looks good so far. One thing I would look at first is the design of the leading edge radiator intakes, which looks like they've got right.

Have they designed the rear part of the engine cowl to droop with the dropped flaps, which they often were when parked. Quite an essential if building this in 1/32.

It looks like 'modelling skills will be required' for dropped flaps - or leading edge/radiator slats for that matter.

At least they've got separate radiator shutters 🙂

IMG_20200103_124001.jpg

97347192-921076504999377-506820637301617

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 3:42 PM, Homebee said:

I hope it's as good in the flesh - I'd assumed this was resin, but I've been told by SH that it's plastic with the few obvious bits in PE. 

The detail they achieved in the Tempest give me cause for optimism

Very nice cockpit details, the seat looks a bit to square at the top though and appears either the two armour plates are missing or is it the squared off bit at the top of the seat back , should be easily remedied though .  Very much looking forward to this kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2020/08/obr-strizlik-aneb-pripravujeme-westland.html

August 20, 2020

We are currently working on other projects at Westland Whirlwind Mk.I 1/32. This model is really big, compared to our average production it will really be a giant. (...)
   In the photos you can see the modeling of Whirlwind's chassis shafts and the testing of test printed parts of this assembly. (...)

IMG_20200818_155807.jpg IMG_20200818_155814.jpg

IMG_20200818_155821.jpg

V.P.

Yes the wait is endless

the competition now is ..... wether it gets released before or after i retire 

cheers

jerry 

p.s. i think they made the real full size whirlwinds faster 

but it was wartime 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Looks like something out of Star Wars

I wasn't the only one to draw that comparison then!

50336820826_30a89c39fc.jpg

Got to say it, this kit is going to be incredible looking at these CADs!

• Haha 1