1/32 Westland Whirlwind by Specialhobby

Petr

• 1 month later...

Always had a soft spot for the Whirlwind. Sadly the tool makers will not have to make provision for loads of different marks.  How many decal sheets needed to do every operational one built!  There were what, 2 squadrons? 

Petter came up with some interesting and indeed unique or almost unique features. 
Very much looking forward to this one 

Yes, 2 squadrons, 2 operational colour schemes, plus the P9 prototype and the 'final' Westlands hack, add a couple of Trials aircraft for different armaments fit with yellow undersides.

For the really brave there's the very heavily weathered example with some good reference photos available.

The wait continues...

• 2 weeks later...

Engine nacelles moulds in progress.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2020/01/whirlwind-mki-132-pracujeme-na-dalsi.html

We are working on another mould for the 1/32 Whirlwind kit. Photos were taken on Friday. The first two shots show the mould before splitting. The next two images show the mould after editing. Therefore, the contact surfaces are all blue. Soon, at the latest at the Nuremberg Fair, we will show more plastic sprues for the Whirlwind kit.

IMG_20200103_124001.jpg IMG_20200103_123953.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Any update ? 

cheers

jerry

At the earliest, please make it next month please. I've just spent 113 sobs at Hannants today, and if this comes out before the end of the month, I shall be smited. 🤣

3 hours ago, bootneck said:

That would make me cry as well!!

....And that was just aftermarket! I really should learn to be satisfied with OOB builds 🤔

Do not worry you can save your pennies, I think that this will not be out at least until the last quarter, IF we are lucky. I expect October/ November, just a hunch no evidence.

1 minute ago, Ali62 said:

Do not worry you can save your pennies, I think that this will not be out at least until the last quarter, IF we are lucky. I expect October/ November, just a hunch no evidence.

I would agree with that. I think we're still a fair way from seeing this kit on the shelf. Any pennies I save in the meantime for the Whirlwind will no doubt get blown on other modelling fancies and whimsies. 🤣

• 2 months later...

Special Hobby should be lauded to high heaven for having the balls to produce this kit, a much needed breathe of fresh air as opposed to yet another Spitfire Mk1 or P51D.

Mike

• Like 6

Outstanding, at first I thought its not going to be riveted, but close ups show beautiful surface detailing👍

After botched Trumpeter attempt in 1/48, this will be my go to Whirlwind.

Edited by Thomas V.

3 hours ago, hopkp said:

I never realised until now that the fuel tanks (at least, I assume that's what they are!) stood proud of the wing surfaces like that.....

Hi

They didn't initially on the first 'so many' aircraft 

it was a self sealing tank modification that came in around about the time of the BoB 

cheers

jerry 

• Thanks 1

Looking good 😎

Not a complaint - just an observation...

I’m a little surprised that the nose cap doesn’t seem to fall on a natural panel line - or does it? For some reason I’d imagined that the cannon cover would have been a separate item, with the possibility of a detailed cannon bay. If ever an aircraft cried out for such a detail, it would have to be the ‘Crikey’.

Hopefully the aftermarket (or Hi-tech release?) will provide 🤞

Edited by B_Bogus