1/32 Westland Whirlwind by Specialhobby

Petr

On 9/24/2019 at 4:16 PM, Noel Smith said:

Any speculation about what Airfix's next biggie will be in 1/24th scale to follow the Hellcat?

P38 Lightning, Mitsubishi Zero, Republic Thunderbolt or the rumoured Gloster Gladiator?

Question for the Airfix 2020 thread or its own thread, not a Special Hobby 1/32 Whirlwind thread, on which its relevance score is 0/3

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Christer A said:

I wonder if they will do Hi-tech boxings as well?

PleasePleasePleasePleasePlease!  Mind you, how much information can there be on (e.g.) what a Peregrine engine actually looked like, or the internals of the undercarriage and gun bays?  How documented is it, as an evolutionary dead end that wasn't much produced (but for which I have a great deal of affection)?

31 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

PleasePleasePleasePleasePlease!  Mind you, how much information can there be on (e.g.) what a Peregrine engine actually looked like, or the internals of the undercarriage and gun bays?  How documented is it, as an evolutionary dead end that wasn't much produced (but for which I have a great deal of affection)?

Apparently more than you might think.

http://www.whirlwindfighterproject.co.uk/about-us/

I think that Mushroom Publications may have printed a book about the Crikey. Roger Wallsgrove is the producer of that series of books. He is a keen modeller himself and the books are aimed with modellers in mind. Mushroom may also have a book about the Gloster Gladiator that could be of interest to the modeller looking to build the 1/32nd scale kit that is just about to be released. Cannot remember what company, but heard that it will be around the 40 to 50 quid mark. East European origin pefhaps?  I have heard that another company, Roden  are doing a 1/32 nd scale Stearman.. Should be nice!

4 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

I think that Mushroom Publications may have printed a book about the Crikey. Roger Wallsgrove is the producer of that series of books. He is a keen modeller himself and the books are aimed with modellers in mind. Mushroom may also have a book about the Gloster Gladiator that could be of interest to the modeller looking to build the 1/32nd scale kit that is just about to be released. Cannot remember what company, but heard that it will be around the 40 to 50 quid mark. East European origin pefhaps?  I have heard that another company, Roden  are doing a 1/32 nd scale Stearman.. Should be nice!

Forum search engine with key word "Gladiator"...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235048551-132-gloster-gladiator-mkiii-by-icm-box-art-release-q4-2019/

And about the Roden Stearman PT-13 Kaydet in 1/32nd scale: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235050780-132-boeingstearman-pt-13-kaydet-by-roden-release-in-2019-2020/

And rumour - by ICM in 2020 link a 1/32nd - Boeing Stearman PT-17 Kaydet ?

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

The Whirlwind had a bit of a chequered career having RR Peregrine engines fitted. I often wonder what it would have performed like with two Merlins fitted instead?

Many years ago, expert modeller Alan Clark made a fully detailed scratch built model in 1/36th scale that was featured in Scale Models magazine and was awarded a Gold Medal at the UK Model Engineer and Modelling Exhibition. This was way back in the days when IPMS UK used to have their National Championships at Stoneleigh. Some of us old timers may remember itl. His model was made 99 per cent from plastic and was skinned with litho plate. It was disqualified because of the litho plate, which was a bit ironic at the time as many 1/72nd scale kit built models were being entered with Bare Metal Foil that by ratio was no thicker than the litho plate on the much larger model. To add insult to injury many of the 1/72nd scale kit built models in the competition at that time had Aeroclub white metal engines, propellors and other ancillary bits in white metal fitted and were allowed to compete. Ahh well those were the days! Things have moved on over the years and glad to say that the IPMS UK National Competition has taken a much more inclusive approach with regard to materials used these days.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

Hi

slightly off topic

but a few nice ‘what if ‘ options here 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/franclab/16724098644

a few are interesting

as westlands tried to sell the whirlwind for FAA use,

there was a whirlwind captured by the germans

and there was a ww2 eye witness account on the net of all black painted whirlwinds being seen 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry

9 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

slightly off topic

but a few nice ‘what if ‘ options here 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/franclab/16724098644

a few are interesting

as westlands tried to sell the whirlwind for FAA use,

there was a whirlwind captured by the germans

and there was a ww2 eye witness account on the net of all black painted whirlwinds being seen 

cheers

jerry 

Jerry are there any known pics of the one that went to the US?

On 10/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, oz rb fan said:

Jerry are there any known pics of the one that went to the US?

Hi

I haven't found any so far, always hopeful something may turn up 

so far i only had just a couple of eyewitness accounts, sounded like the skyrocket colours around 43/44, the blue/grey scheme 

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/hornerf5f.htm

but i have never found time to check out the US archives , college park ? 

they replied way back that they had files on  british a/c in the US 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Jerry

College Park sent me what they had - A fair bit about the tail acorn and a note from Petter about relevance to the P-38's problems. A lot on the shipping arrangements and a letter from Wright field asking for access to the WW. Nothing on what happened to it and no photos apart from the standard Air Ministry portraits, taken in he UK.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, brewerjerry said:

...a few nice ‘what if ‘ options here

Strangely enough, I found the Japanese one the most "believable"- not that they'd have had a Whirlwind, but it looked like it could be a Japanese type.  Very slightly similar to an Irving, I suppose.

On the question of the one in USA, I haven't found a photo (there HAVE to be some somewhere), but I can't imagine it would be anything but bog standard RAF fighter paint for the day, with no unit letters, and probably looking a bit shabby (at least after a while).

I do wish that Special Hobby would extract digit, but I haven't built any of the other exciting new kits I couldn't wait for, either...

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 7:50 AM, gingerbob said:

On the question of the one in USA, I haven't found a photo (there HAVE to be some somewhere), but I can't imagine it would be anything but bog standard RAF fighter paint for the day, with no unit letters, and probably looking a bit shabby (at least after a while).

Hi

From what i heard described in my research (many years ago ) it could have been repainted in the ‘1943 usn navy blue and grey scheme ‘  

but it sounded like it kept the raf roundels etc 

i always hope a photo might turn up somewhere 

one raf guy who saw it in the usa also saw a damaged  ‘captured ‘  one in a bombed hangar on his way thro france in ‘44 

cheers

jerry

On 11/4/2019 at 7:50 AM, gingerbob said:

Strangely enough, I found the Japanese one the most "believable"- not that they'd have had a Whirlwind, but it looked like it could be a Japanese type.  Very slightly similar to an Irving, I suppose.

Hi

slightly o/t but in one request for info many years ago,

i had a reply from a guy who was based in singapore in ww2 and he said they were sent info/etc on how to identify the westland whirlwind 

wonder if they planned to ship all the whirlwinds out there at one time, but cancelled it 

cheers 

jerry 

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd let you know, I asked on the manufacturers forum on BM about any possible date of release and Petr mentioned sometime in 2020 as they don't want to rush as that would not be good.  I am happy with this as I am sure that this will be a cracker when released, it's a shame granted, that it's not going to be imminent, but we can wait a while longer can't we???

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 10:42 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd let you know, I asked on the manufacturers forum on BM about any possible date of release and Petr mentioned sometime in 2020 as they don't want to rush as that would not be good.  I am happy with this as I am sure that this will be a cracker when released, it's a shame granted, that it's not going to be imminent, but we can wait a while longer can't we???

All the best

Chris

Hi

Thanks for the info 

Looks like it might be a retirement project for me then,  as that is coming up in a couple of years

Hopefully I can still afford one when it comes out 

cheers

jerry

• Like 1