1/32 Westland Whirlwind by Specialhobby

Petr

Strange place to start, showing a canopy mould, but I am sure that soonish we shall see the rest of the patterns and moulds coming along for the rest of the aeroplane.

As much as I would like one or two of these as soon as possible, I am quite happy to wait if that is what is required if the Whirlwind gets the same treatment as the Tempests

I will be very happy to have a few large scale Whirlwinds.

Ali

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2017 at 19:47, spitfire said:

I hope this happens, this has been on my wish list for years, it's a real bench clearer for me.

Cheers

Dennis

That could be two of us then.  Always had  a very soft spot for the poor old Whirlwind as a "but for a decent engine what might have been type".  OK there is more to it but you get my drift. 

I recall a thread on here arguing it's merits/demerits.

• Like 1

Well this is looking very promising, I love the Whirlwind and some how I missed the earlier announcement on the Sea Fury, but that will be fantastic as well, add to that the Tempest VI and the Typhoon, I can see a my stash of Special Hobby kits growing in leaps and bounds.

Ali

Just a passing thought

The designer "Teddy" Petter was quite a prolific and adventurous designer.  I think it possible he is not as highly regarded as he should be given his designs

Lysander

Whirlwind

Mods to the Spitfire elevator

Welkin (well nobodys perfect!)

Canberra

Early design work on the Lightning

Folland aircraft Gnat, Midge etc.

His main issue appears to have been his difficulty in working with others.  Roland Beamont  - " "although Petter was generally thought to be difficult I found him logical and 'ahead of the game' and totally oriented on making an enormous success of the Canberra. That it achieved this was due to his personal ability to recognise the technical argument and act on it correctly."

• Like 1

A large scale Whirlwind,bring it on and please Special Hobby perhaps a Blenheim Mk1v as well. Does any one know if the HK Models 1/32 Lancaster is still a runner or are Hk backtracking ?

Alvin 

Great to see this one in preparation.

Also good to see they have the wing root to fuselage transition something close to right.

Most kits have some kind of root fairing except the CA & Cooper Details kits, which have nothing at all.

Looking forwards to getting a couple of these :)

• 5 months later...