Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

On 5/20/2018 at 11:13 PM, JWM said:

Hi,

Since I already did my Gamecock the most probable as my input remains: Belgian Avro 504 N (scrach conversion from 504 K), DH 9 (scratch conversion from 9A - or rather Polikarpov R1) and Spanish Vildebeest.

Regards

J-W

On 5/20/2018 at 11:47 PM, philp said:

So many choices out there.

The Airfix Hurricane with the Belgium option. Harrier in Spanish markings.  Tornado in Saudi markings. Etc. Etc.

All good ideas to me ! Looking forward to having you in the GB !

Edited by Giorgio N

On 5/29/2018 at 3:03 PM, andyf117 said:

I'll most probably also be in on this one, with another of my many Revell 1/72 Westland Sea Kings...

....either picking up where I left off with the RAN Mk.50 originally started for the Sea King STGB back in Jan '15...

....or starting completely from scratch with a Norwegian Mk.43B...

Looking forward to these !

The Westland Sea King is one of those unusual subject that while foreign in origin is different enough that the British variant is allowed in this GB.

For anyone else interested in this helicopter, only Westland Sea Kings are allowed ! Machines built by Sikorski, Agusta or Mitsubishi are not

When exactly we are suppoused to start?

I have already started DH9 in Spanish colours, but I stopped and I hope that my advance is not more than accepted.

Second is Avro 504 N in Belgian colours and third another Spanish Britt - Vildebeest... As were talking in Rome "omne trinum perfectum" ;) ...

J-W

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

I have already started DH9 in Spanish colours, but I stopped and I hope that my advance is not more than accepted.

Second is Avro 504 N in Belgian colours and third another Spanish Britt - Vildebeest... As were talking in Rome "omne trinum perfectum" ;) ...

J-W

16 June

Edited by Botan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at doing an Ajeet for this GB, however, whilst the Ajeet wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the Gnat, does it qualify?  If not I could always do a Vampire...

• Like 1

Sorry but I’ll have to withdraw from this one. I’m horribly behind with my Carriers Ahoy build (Novo Firefly) and I know that I’d struggle with this one.

I will build my 1/48 Airfix Finnish Hawk, just not in the group build time frame.

Please accept my apologies.

Trevor

• Sad 1

Well I was planning a Hurricane in Irish air corps service but decal's are nowhere to be found so something else will have to be found, a Lancaster

in Argentine or Egyptian colour's crossed my mind.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JWM said:

J-W

Botan already answered about the start date, it's very close now !

Regarding the DH9, show a picture here, we can see if it's beyond the 25% or not. If it's not, then it's in

13 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looking forward to this GB,...... gosh the subjects are almost limitless!!

Cheers

Tony

Looking forward to your contribution Tony !

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well I was planning a Hurricane in Irish air corps service but decal's are nowhere to be found so something else will have to be found, a Lancaster

in Argentine or Egyptian colour's crossed my mind.

All interesting subjects to me !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wez said:

I was looking at doing an Ajeet for this GB, however, whilst the Ajeet wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the Gnat, does it qualify?  If not I could always do a Vampire...

Personally I would say the Ajeet does qualify. It is an Indian adaptation of a British design that IMHO does not include enough local modifications to make it instantly recognisable as something else. The two-seater Ajeet would be a different story as it was quite different from the original British design and can for this reason be considered a fully Indian development

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Sorry but I’ll have to withdraw from this one. I’m horribly behind with my Carriers Ahoy build (Novo Firefly) and I know that I’d struggle with this one.

I will build my 1/48 Airfix Finnish Hawk, just not in the group build time frame.

Please accept my apologies.

Trevor

Sorry to hear this Trevor ! No need to apologise, I fully understand your situation as I'm in the same boat myself with other GBs...

Will keep an eye for your Finnish Hawk in the future  🙂

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Personally I would say the Ajeet does qualify. It is an Indian adaptation of a British design that IMHO does not include enough local modifications to make it instantly recognisable as something else. The two-seater Ajeet would be a different story as it was quite different from the original British design and can for this reason be considered a fully Indian development 

Thanks Giorgio, an Ajeet (single seater), it is then!

7 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

14) There shall never be 13 rules for this Group Build, this because 13 is in many countries an unlucky number. There now are 14 rules

Hey, I got some rule for you. What about at least short history how machine ended in foreign country and how its service went. Basically it can be shortened to just explaining why model is eligible for this GB.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Botan said:

Hey, I got some rule for you. What about at least short history how machine ended in foreign country and how its service went. Basically it can be shortened to just explaining why model is eligible for this GB.

That's a very good idea ! I can't force modellers to do so but I've modified rule 14 asking modellers if possible to do so. This will be particularly interesting for the lesser known types or the lesser known countries, we may all learn something new.

12 hours ago, the South African said:

I will have to resist MMMMMMMMMMMMMM SAAF Buc.

Regards:

Shaun

No point in resisting, the SAAF Buccaneer scheme is too good looking ! 😀

10 hours ago, Tweener said:

I would like to join, I think I'll build either an American Mosquito or perhaps an AT-20 Anson.

Both very interesting subjects, you are welcome !

Well Mick has sorted decal's for an Irish Hurricane and is posting them soon so if they arrive safely I'll start with Hasegawa's 1/48 kit,I hate to class

the Irish as "foriegn" but for the purpose of this GB they are!

• Like 1

While looking for Burmese Spitfire decals, I found some interesting PR/FR Spits. I had one of the kits in the stash already but needed another to justify the decals, you know how it goes. Since I have them, I'll attempt to build both a Royal Thai Air Force PR.XIX and an Indian Air Force FR.XIVe - the latter from the brief period where they used the Royal title and the 'chakra' roundel.

Andy

Optimistic in the face of experience.  

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 10:01 AM, Giorgio N said:

Regarding the DH9, show a picture here, we can see if it's beyond the 25% or not. If it's not, then it's in

I am intending to convert Maquette DH9A into DH9. The first big difference is wingspan and chord. So this is what I did. Here we see wings with sections marked to be cut off:

dh9 DSC07994

And here we have smaller wingspand and cut also front to make smaller chord

dh9 DSC07995

That is all what I done so far.

Regards

J-W

Here's a question - I'm looking at an S&M Vickers Viscount 800 in "Eagle Airways" colours that I have in the stash. 

Although Eagle was a British airline, this was a Bermuda registered subsidiary and the aircraft reg isn't a "G-" - It's VR-BAX 

Would this count? 

IanJ