Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

I've been thinking for a while at some potential all-inclusive GBs that would make all types of modellers happy but often had the feeling that whatever I may think of, a Best of British III would always get more votes... At that point I remembered the old adage "if you can't beat them, join them" and thought: why not a Best of British with a twist ?

So my suggestion is: what about a GB dedicated to British made hardware in foreign hands ? This would include every kind of British built aircraft/tank/vehicle/ship/car/train/uniform or anything else in the service or possession of non British forces/authorities/companies/individuals.

I don't know if we've had a similar GB before, we sure had one dedicated to Soviet subjects in foreign use a couple years ago and it was succesful. If the idea proposed here is new, it may be something with good potential as it would allow a large number of subjects, would let people build some of their favourites and at the same time would showcase a number of lesser known markings.

A few examples: a Hunter in Dutch or Swiss markings, a Belgian Hurricane, an MEA Comet for aircraft builders.

An Iranian Chieftain or an Israeli Centurion for tank enthusiasts

A Romanian Type 22 or a Chilean Leander class Frigate for those interested in floating thingies

A Mini used by a non British team (I'm sure there are several) or even just one with a foreign numberplate for those who build cars

A post WW2 Greek soldier with British style uniform and webbing and an Enfield rifle for figures builders.

And I'm sure that there are many, many more possibilities.

Now I would not include what-ifs as I feel that there are enough subjects available (why build an Austrian Lightning when I can build a Kuwaiti one?), however if someone has suggestions that could help including Sci-Fi subjects they'd be very welcome.

So, what do you all think ? Would such a GB be of interest ? Of course if the consensus is that this may end up as another Best of British in disguise, I'll happily retire the proposal and maybe push it for 2019.

Interested for now:

1) Giorgio N

2) rob85

3) TonyTiger66

4) CliffB

5) TempestMkV

6) Wyverns4

7) Caerbannog

😎 Basilisk

9) charlie_c67

10) Antoine

11) SleeperService

12) Grandboof

13) Roland Pulfrew

14) Wez

15) Magua87

16) Max Headroom

17) Sgt.Squarehead

18) franky boy

19) Botan

20) Arniec

21) Angus Tura

22) Moggy

23) Knight_flyer

24) Sabre_days

25) gingerbob

26) JackG

27) Zebra

28) stevehnz

29) Ray S

30) mirageiv

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Just a question - does 'British' include or exclude Commonwealth nations? I ask because a lot of British equipment, civil and military, has ended up being used by the remnants of Empire.

In my view it would depend on the status of the user as an independent country. Being part of the Commonwealth today really means very little as this organisation involves no commitment from one country toward the others. So say an Indian Hawk or Canberra would really be an example of foreign use of a British aircraft as there's no doubt that India is today an independent country and not part of the UK. The same would apply to say an Australian Hawk as while Australia has the Queen as Head of State, it today really is an independent country.

The same India before 1948 however would be a different case as India back then was not independent but a colony, I would probably consider and Indian Air Force Hurricane in 1944 not really eligible. Of course we can discuss these cases and find a solution that would make all interesting modellers happy.

Other subjects I would prefer not to include are those serving in "foreign" RAF Squadrons, be they from Commonwealth and Empire countries (those in the 4xx series) or those manned with foreign volunteers (like the many Polish and Free French units in the 3xx range).

Regarding the actual place ofconstruction of the subject on the other hand I'd be quite relaxed so an Egyptian Vampire would be eligible even if these were license built in Italy. Boradly speaking, I'd be fine with license built British types, unless they are unique local variations that considerably differ from the original. For example I would esclude something like the Canadair Argus as while it's based on the Britannia it's really a different aircraft.

Mind, I'm using aircrafts as examples here because these are those I know best, I'm sure others can provide similar examples for other subjects.

• Like 2

This is a really interesting idea. How about post war Spitfires in Czechoslovakia, some of which then made their way to Israel? That kind of thing possibly would be a pleasant option that would work for some otherwise interested in the 3xx squadron ranges you mentioned?

Swiss vampires. Hmmmm. Nice :heart:

There are plenty of AFV possibilities too.

Also, I'm a bit of a 1919-1939 enthusiast and this GB proposal works really well then (and before). De-havilland (eg Hispano Dh-9) aircraft in Spanish service, Martynside Buzzards in Finland, Vickers tanks all over the shop, Hawkers in Iran and so much more.

Great idea for a GB :thumbsup2: !

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Don't let the Governor General here in Canberra know what you said about Australia and the Commonwealth..... :winkgrin:!

• Like 2

Added you to the list Tony !

Yes, the Czech Spitfires in my plan would be eligible since the day they started carrying proper Czech markings and operate under their air force. And of course would be eligible in their Israeli markings... as some were later sold to Burma there's actually the possibility of building the same aircrafts with 3 different foreign markings in addition to their wartime RAF ones (not for this GB though).

Love your suggestions for 20's/30's subjects, I'd love a GB where some lesser known types are built.

Regarding the Governor General, I'll make no mention of Commonwealth or else the next time I should meet him! Haven't been in Canberra in ages and he missed me when I was in Sydney last May though, to be honest I was really busy in those days, don't know if I'd have had the time for a chat :D

• Haha 1

I find it always difficult to replace roundels for anything else. Only exception: Other roundels (Canada, Australian, NZ). So after a long thought I suddenly remembered my Spitfire Mk. XIV with Canadian racer markings.

Please add me :-)

René

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

One for me too please Giorgio.  I'm not sure exactly what, but it will be inter-war too.

Cliff

Added to the list ! Should the GB go through the voting I'll look forward to your choice of subject

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Giorgio

Please add my name to the list .

Patrice

Good Morning Patrice, duly added !

2 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

This sounds too good to be left out of, so sign me up please!

Christian, back in africa

Glad you feel so, hope more share our interest !

2 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

I find it always difficult to replace roundels for anything else. Only exception: Other roundels (Canada, Australian, NZ). So after a long thought I suddenly remembered my Spitfire Mk. XIV with Canadian racer markings.

Please add me :-)

René

There's plenty of roundels to choose from, some with the same colours and some with the same roundels... I would allow Australian and New Zealand subjects of the period when these two countries used the standard UK marking. You Canadian Spit sounds very good to me !

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

I like the idea, so please count me in.

Cheers, Peter

Done ! Now at 8. Anyone else ?

On 14/1/2017 at 3:15 PM, charlie_c67 said:

I said I wouldn't sign up to too many after last years abject failures....but then I have some nice African nation decals crying out to be used....who am I to say no? Sign me up!

African countries sound interesting ! As said above, I'd love to see some of the lesser known markings displayed in such a GB

23 hours ago, Antoine said:

Sounds like an interesting GB.

So, please, count me in!

Glad you find this interesting ! Name added

22 hours ago, SleeperService said:

This sounds like a good idea, I'm in. If you'll let a serial GB non-finisher in....

Being a serial GB non finisher myself, I'm more tha happy to let you in :D

7 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Would like to join please A TAA Viscount for starters 

Martin H

Love the idea of seeing civil subjects too ! That's the spirit of a GB like this

• Like 1

I'll sign up for this Giorgio, I can't guarantee my participation at this stage as it will depend whether the GB coincides with my studies but at the moment I'm in.

Wez

• Like 1

I'm checking my stash, looking for ideas, and I'm surprised by the low number of British subjects, apart a few Spits and a dozen Hasegawa Hurries. I really thought I had more.

Let's see.

Lancaster?

lancas10.jpg

korade12.jpgkoraco10.jpg

Edited by Antoine

22 hours ago, Wez said:

I'll sign up for this Giorgio, I can't guarantee my participation at this stage as it will depend whether the GB coincides with my studies but at the moment I'm in.

Wez

Hope you'll find time to take part in the GB should this go ahead. Thanks for the support, name added to the list

21 hours ago, Antoine said:

I'm checking my stash, looking for ideas, and I'm surprised by the low number of British subjects, apart a few Spits and a dozen Hasegawa Hurries. I really thought I had more.

Let's see.

Lancaster?

Some very interesting subjects there Antoine ! The Vampire lends itself well to the use of foreign markings as was used by so many countries.. Those Lancasters though are very unusual, and therefore very interesting

13 hours ago, Magua87 said:

Keen. Sign me up. I've got lots that would qualify. 

Great ! Added to the list. We're now at 15, anyone else interested ?