Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

10 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Entries from my stash - if this makes the cut.

Not as strong a field as I would really like here.

Not going to suggest any BAe/McD, Panavia or Sepecat consortiums - nor RAF aircraft with marking for a French, Dutch or Norwegian crew.  Respect to them - but I think this build is a celebration of British exports.

Italeri BAe Hawk with Aussie markings.

Premier DH Sea Venom - Aussie markings,

Sword Stikemaster - NZ markings

All very interesting subjects ! And they remind me that a British Abroad GB would be great for the many lovers of Commonwealth air forces: there seem to be many here who are big fan of Canadian, Australian and New Zealand subjects, as a lot of equipment in these countries was and is of British origin this GB would suit very well.

Among my personal future projects that could fit in this GB is also an Aussie Hawk, I fell in love when I saw them at Williamtown in 2010

41ac53a9-83dc-4448-8a94-ab5e0834b2dc.JPG

Other candidates are an Irish Vampire and Chipmunk, an Australian and an Egyptian Spitfire and a Spanish Harrier

• Like 1

The end of the voting is near and we are still in danger. Anyone who has not voted yet, have a look at the great options possible with this GB !

Today another suggestion for Commonwealth aircrafts lovers and another Hawk (ok, I love Hawks, this should be clear by now....)

Don't they look good ?

And another type that people may not think of when it comes to exports, the Buccaneer here in the great looking SAAF scheme

In that moment there is three GB with 60 votes being on cutoff line, including ours, so every singele vote is important.

So I'm just posting some ideas to get more votes:

http://Bristol Fighter F.2B in Polish service with Modelmaker decals

Exotic Spitfires (Mk.22s) from TigerHead Decals - Rhodesia, Syria, Egypt

BAE Canberra in Latinamerican Service, part 1 and part 2.

• Like 2

Indeed this GB is at the moment in great danger of not going through, we need another few votes to be safe !

Some great inspiration by Botan above, I may add something for builders of military vehicle.

The Centurion is considered by many the best postwar British tank and this is proven by the export success that this type enjoyed. A number of countries used the type in combat with very good results, most notably Israel

From the sands of the middle east to the jungles of South East Asia, the Centurion also proved its worth in Vietnam with the Australian Army

Last day of voting, and I'd like to add a few more video suggestions to try and convince another few Britmodellers to vote for this GB and then take part in it.

The Harrier is one of the aircrafts that British enthusiasts are most proud of, and with good reasons ! The type may not have seen a huge export success but it was sold abroad in some decent numbers. The USMC is the best known foreign user but Spain also used the type, later selling their AV-8S to Thailand when they received the newer AV-8Bs

Much better known are the export successes of the Hawker Hunter, here shown flying over the beautiful background of the Swiss Alps and taking part in a live fire exercise

And speaking of aircrafts the British are rightly proud, here's the most famous ever, this time in Irish markings

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Interesting color green on that Spitfire. 

Yep, that was the colour used on Irish Air Corps Seafire III and Spitfire Tr.9, all aircrafts received from Britain in the immediate postwar years.

The aircraft in the video is a warbird, registered in the UK as G-CCCA but it is indeed the actual former IAC 161, so the colour scheme and markings are correct for this aircraft. G-CCCA later flew in different markings but it's always the old 161

Other British aircrafts flown by the Irish Air Corps include the Vampire, the Lysander, Hector, Hurricane, Walrus, Magister, Gladiator, Dove, Provost, Anson, Hs.125 and a few others. Really this GB would be a great opportunity to complete a few aircrafts in Irish markings, I hope that modellers from the Emerald Isle and anyone with even a passing interest in this small but interesting air force will vote for this GB in the remaining few hours, if they haven't already done so

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Other British aircrafts flown by the Irish Air Corps [...]

Also Roden makes a Rolls-Royce Armoured Car with Irish Cavalry Corps decals in 1/72 scale. Also Max Decals have a sheet Max7220 Irish Air Corps 1956-2010 plus bonus Irish Army vehicle decals in 1/35 scale. which include for example: Rolls Royce Armoured Cars, Churchill Mk VI tank and Scorpion tank.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Giorgio you wouldn't know a color callout for that green would you ? It might make for an interesting model ? 

The matter has been discussed in the past, may be worth doing a search in the WW2 section for Irish Seafires. The closest colour seems to be Aircraft Grey Green from the BS catalogue (can't remember the number now).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Botan said:

Also Roden makes a Rolls-Royce Armoured Car with Irish Cavalry Corps decals in 1/72 scale. Also Max Decals have a sheet Max7220 Irish Air Corps 1956-2010 plus bonus Irish Army vehicle decals in 1/35 scale. which include for example: Rolls Royce Armoured Cars, Churchill Mk VI tank and Scorpion tank.

Thanks for the info ! I have pictures of an Irish Scorpion I took some 10 years ago somewhere, may try to dig and post them if I find them. Comet tanks were also used in the '60s.

Edited by Giorgio N

Well, we did it !

It wasn't easy, at some point we were out, then made a comeback but always dangerously close to the cutoff point. In the end though the GB got through and any interested modeller can now start thinking of potential candidates to build. In the meantime I'll also recheck the rules and write them down in a simple way that would allow as many participants while retaining the spirit of the proposal.

Thanks to all the modellers who signed up for this GB, without you this would have not been possible

And thanks to all who have voted for this GB, hope you'll enjoy taking part in it

Of course thanks to Enzo Matrix for once again running the poll with no glitch

And last but not least, thanks to all modellers who have supported this proposal by posting comments, ideas and inspiration in this thread.

• Like 2

Glad to see modellers starting to think of potential builds ! :yes:

We now have a slot in the calendar, this GB will run from June 16th to October 7th, plenty of time to search for kits and decals for those who don't know yet what to build.

One thing that could be useful is a co-host who could help me with managing the GB during that period. No need to find one now, any volunteer can come forward closer to the GB start.

10 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

One thing that could be useful is a co-host who could help me with managing the GB during that period

Happy to step up to the plate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Happy to step up to the plate

Thanks Wez, much appreciated !

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I've been going through the Pile of Doom and found my Meteor F4 from HERE

it's exactly as it was in the last picture will it be OK under the 25% ruling? If not I need to have a rethink...

To me it looks to be under the 25%, would be good to have one such model

• Thanks 1

Giorgio - put me down for this one, please.  

As a modeller "from the Emerald Isle", I will be doing something from the Irish Aer Corps (potentially the Spitfire TR9  -  AZ models do a kit in 1/72nd, which I happen to have up in the loft.....)

Philip

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Thanks Wez, much appreciated !

To me it looks to be under the 25%, would be good to have one such model

Thank You our wise and wonderful leader :D I've now found the rest of the bits to build this.

6 hours ago, Wez said:

Mmm, where to go with this?  Vampire, Hunter, JP/Strikemaster, Leaping Steam Budgie?  :hmmm:

Plenty of choice anyway!!:thumbsup:

Leaping Steam Budgie? What on Earth is that?

57 minutes ago, Beard said:

I didn't commit to this GB, although I voted for it. So, I guess a Spitfire (or two) would be in order.

By the way, Kora models have released decals for Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I  in Estonian service. As far as I know, Estonia ordered those, but after start of war deal was cancelled, but it is confirmed, that some Spitfires had Estonian markings already painted on them?

Edited by Botan
  • Like 1