Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Just wondering if an RAAF WW2 aircraft wearing Australian Pacific Theatre blue and white roundels will qualify as `foreign'? Or is this a bit close to the bone? 

Cheers

Tony

Tony, I think you'll find that although Poms and Aussies tend to speak the same language (although we do it with a few more adjectives) the differences between the two nations tends to stop pretty much there. I would hope that the Blue / White national 'Australian' roundel would be included within this GB as we'd been painting out the red 'target' area on our insignia since a few pistol toting Yanks saw a red flash, closed their eyes and pressed their triggers!! 

Good news, looks like Wez has cleared this up, which just might entice me to also take the plunge and throw an entry in. This GB stuff is rather catchy isn't it?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

Wez already cleared the matter, I may only add that if the aircraft was in service in a unit part of the RAAF and not under RAF control it would sure qualify as foreign. Even better if the aircraft in case carries an A-XX RAAF registration, but I'm not too fussy on this  as some aircrafts only received their final registration after a while😁

However RAF units serving under RAAF control would be considered not eligible. An example is 54 Sqn. that served for a while in the defence of Darwin carrying RAAF style roundels, but still retaining their RAF identity.

Just to make things even clearer, a postwar RAAF Meteor for example would be eligible even if these aircrafts carried roundels identical to the British ones. They were RAAF aircrafts, hence foreign.

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

That's nice and clear Giorgio and makes a lot of sense.

I have one 1/72 Sword Spitfire Vc with the intention to finish this off as a 54 Squadron machine, however it won't be here. There's so many other choices on offer, so this won't be a problem. The problem is clearing the bench and then choosing an suitable subject to build? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Well I haven't even started my Hurricane  build  yet but  Thinking ahead this may be the GB to do my first ever Aussie subject since Airfix's Boomerang

when it was new!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

I all!

I could offer a Meteor..... in Syrian markings!

Should I?

Airfix 1/48....

Yes!!!

• Like 2

Does anyone know where I could get a set of 1/72 decals for the Armed Forces of Malta? I’ve got an original Blister Pack Airfix S.A Bulldog, but have held this build off due to no decals. Keen to hear from anyone that knows more. 

Cheers.. Dave 

7 minutes ago, IanHx said:

RNZAF Strikemaster eligible ?

Yes!

Now crack on with it, there's a good chap.

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be building that ESCI SE.5A with the Chilean markings then...😀

...and maybe a Swiss Vampire?

The GBs really thin the stash!

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Looks like I'll be building that ESCI SE.5A with the Chilean markings then...😀

...and maybe a Swiss Vampire?

The GBs really thin the stash!

Please do, both or either would be very welcome.

Hi, I hope nobody minds but I jumped right in and created a thread for myself before I chickened out and kept my efforts to myself! I've got a couple of BAe Hawks for this build that I'm going to do in Finnish and Australian markings, like all my builds they'll be straight out of the box with no aftermarket decals or parts but at least I've now been encouraged to use markings I wouldn't normally go for. Depending on how these builds go I may also throw together a Belgian Hurricane or a Finnish Gladiator. Thanks for the inspiration everyone! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

...or a Soviet Strutter?   Oh my...this is almost too much!

Baltic ones would be simple to make.

Latvian Sopwith Strutter from 1919 had first version of national air markings, simple dark red/white/dark red bands on wings/tail.

Other is  Lithuanian one. More can be read in Lithuanian and with online translator on this forum. Topis is also covered a bit in books published by Blue Rider Publishing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might have to jump in her too for a build torso...Swiss Vampire?  Was the Mk.VI built under licence in Switzerland?

Edit:  if I read the rules the question would have been answered.  #3 solves the issue.  

Edited by John D.C. Masters
Duh!
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I think I might have to jump in her too for a build torso...Swiss Vampire?  Was the Mk.VI built under licence in Switzerland?

Edit:  if I read the rules the question would have been answered.  #3 solves the issue.  

As you rightly identify, a Swiss FB.6 would be eligible (us Brits went over to Arabic numerals for aircraft marks in 1947, the FB.6 was after this date so Roman numerals would never have been used, meaning there was never an FB.VI).

• 2 weeks later...

might enter this if my local hasn't sold his order of the airfix vampire rebox, now to find a more suited shade of green and grey than humbrols suggestion of US OD and N....though if not a finnish hawk will be my choice as airfix hawks are a plenty and i have the decals spare 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 8:07 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

might enter this if my local hasn't sold his order of the airfix vampire rebox, now to find a more suited shade of green and grey than humbrols suggestion of US OD and N....though if not a finnish hawk will be my choice as airfix hawks are a plenty and i have the decals spare 

There are a few Swedish users on this forum, they may well be able to give you some good pointers on paint ! Should I find anything, I'll post the info

29 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

There are a few Swedish users on this forum, they may well be able to give you some good pointers on paint ! Should I find anything, I'll post the info

Cheers, decided to just go with a spare pot of life colour neutral grey for the underside but not yet got to the upper green 

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are now well underway with the GB and I'm very pleased by the diversity of subjects and users. Really the only negative point is that I've not been able to keep up too well with my duties as host, it's really been a hectic time and I haven't been able to devote the time I wanted to the GB. I've also let behind some things that I promised to fellow modellers, I'll do best from now on, promised !

Keep on the good work folk, there will be a great gallery at the end of this GB